Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Brush replacement on TH Starter

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Brush replacement on TH Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 AM
chemie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brush replacement on TH Starter

I bought a TH starter last fall at a swap meet; "like new" condition. Worked great all this season until it suddenly died. I took it apart and found one brush was completely gone.

So I figured, TH or Hobbicco must sell these right?....wrong. I could not find replacement brushes anywhere.

Next I came to RCU and read. One person suggested getting Dremel brushes. I went to Lowes and they only had one type. They were about the right size but did not have the wires embedded in them. I was worried that using the springs to conduct the electricity would no be good enough.

I went online and could not find any the right size (3/16" x 3/16" x 5/16") I was not sure of the length because the other one might have been worn down too. Anyway, I did find a 3/16 x 1/4 x 9/16. They were 10 for $5 with free shipping from HK from an EBAY [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320589287151&ssPageNam e=ADME:L:OU:US:1123]seller[/link]. I figured it was worth a shot with paypal payment to mystery dude in HK.

They arrived 2 weeks later and I installed.

Photo 1 and 2 shows what I started with.
Photo 3 shows the replacements.

I cut the plate off and removed the spring. I used a Dremel with a medium grit drum to machine down the brush.

Photo 4 shows after I took 1/32" off each side to make them 3/16 x 3/16

I was surprised how soft the brushes were. Note the originals were carbon-copper but these new ones are just carbon. I hope I can at least get 1 season out of them.

Photo 5 is them installed. Note I removed the old wires and reused the attachment loop but added a touch of solder to hold it. I had the wire coming out of the springs about half-way (because the new ones had the wire on the back versus on top).

Of course, the real trouble is getting the brushes pushed back and the housing back on. I do not know a good way to do this. This time, I made a "J" hook from thin wire and used it to hold back the brushes and stuffed the motor back down; then removed the wires. It did not work the first time and I ended up gouging the top of the brushes as the motor must have been sitting on top of the brushes. I tried a second time and seemed to get it.

Anyone have a better way to install brushes?

Anyway, thought this might help anyone else with this issue. (good old RCU search)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87722.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1509832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46529.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1509833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10821.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1509834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27193.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1509835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11343.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1509836  
Old 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Brush replacement on TH Starter

Chemie,

Recently, I had to replace the alternator brush set in my car.

They come with perforations for inserting a wire before installation.
A paper clip could be used.

Since your brushes are soft, you could try drilling them and the guides at the same time, kepping the distance between the brushe's faces a little bigger than the collector's diameter.

Once everything is in the correct position, all you have to do is pulling both wires or clips out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75221.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1509963  
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Brush replacement on TH Starter

On the same vein as above. Don't drill the brushes, just the holders. Push the brushes back past your newly installed retainer pin. Slip the brush unit in place then pull the pins.
GM used this, and it was built right in to the alternators. Was sized for the plastic spray can tips (like wd40). Was a benefit for the not so brite techs as if they forgot to pull the pins there would be no short circuit.

Did you try any of the motor repair places or small appliance shops? Be willing to bet they would have a better shot at getting you the right brushes. Or at least the correct style and composition. Easy enough to sand down them to size if need be.

Just noted after doing a little surfing, there are 4 grades of brushes. You had the graphite/metal version originally, not sure how well/long a straight graphite version is going to work.