Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spray guns and water seperators

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spray guns and water seperators

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 03:20 AM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Spray guns and water seperators

I have just finished applying the trim colours on my New BobCat XL and repaired StarJet. Despite every care there is a tiny amount of fisheye, or water drops on the finish. Is it possible to fit a water seperator to a compressor which does not have one built in ? (it is a very dry day here in Sydney and I did drain the tank before spraying )

My compressor is a Tiger Turbo 8/24 (an Italian machine sold extensively in the UK) which is otherwise perfect for the job and my gun is a Badger 400 touch up gun, on the days when I don't get fish eye they do a great job. I'm determined to nail forever this fisheye problem but does it mean a new compressor?

A friend of mine has just bought me a Taiwanese- made Central Pneumatic HVLP gravity spray gun which was incredibly cheap in LA. and comes witha regulator. It actually looks very well made. Anyone use this gun and if so any comment. Please be frank because if it doesn't give a first class finish I can still use it for primer.

Any comment will be appreciated.
David Gladwin
Old 07-30-2003, 03:55 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, I use this one:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00916008000

Is that what you had in mind? I am using the walcom STM HVLP detail gun.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:21 AM
aparchment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spray gun moisture filter

David:

I use the filter pictured below. It attaches directly to my gun, so I am catching any water and particles at the last possible moment before they enter the gun. It works very well. Maine is a humid place in the spring/early summer when I paint, and I have never had fisheye problems. Furthermore I often wet my garage floor before I paint, further adding to the humidity and the filter has handled this fine.

Antony
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi David, a water separator can be fitted to any compressor. The seperator will do a better job if you mount it further away from the compressor, this allows the moisture to cool and condense before it gets to the seperator. Also its good practice to put the seperator / filter higher than the compressor as this allows for any water in the system to drain back to the air tank.There are also small desicant filters that go inline before the spray gun that work well. Check out McMaster Carr or Graingers for these items.Last resort would be to add some fish eye eliminator to your paint. Hope this helps.
Brg,
Don
Old 07-30-2003, 08:41 PM
David Gladwin

Thank you guys .I will go and buy a separator this morning,
David Gladwin.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

david, fisheyes are caused by surface contamination, be it silicone or oil[even from your fingers] . the best way to make it go away is to use a grease /wax remover prior to applying paint. i also use the hose end water seperator , can't paint without it here in florida!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:25 AM
David Gladwin

I accept that fingers etc can cause fisheye but everything was almost clinically clean and prepped with first acetone then thinner.
As there is no water trap in my system I will try that first , plus a filter as recommended by David Reid.
Many thanks for your help.
David Gladwin