Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

17.5 class racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 PM
D.DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17.5 class racing

Im a noob to Electric TC and I recently got myself a HotBodies Cyclone and I really want to start racing in the 17.5T class when Im not racing my nitro.
So I have a few question before I get into it:
For the motor+esc, i plan on getting the Novak Havoc 17.5 brushless combo. I guess it's more than enough for me until I decide to move up a class.
With the rubber wheels, how much better would it be if I got one of those tire warmers?
So far that's the only thing that has me thinking before I start racing.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 17.5 class racing

No one needs tire warmers... Especially someone racing in a stock class. Those are the lease useful rc related invention since the aluminum fuel gun.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM
OvalRacer99

Just a warning on the Novak Hovoc esc's, I have herd and read from a lot of people that have had problems with that esc. Don't get me wrong, Novak is quality stuff, but there seems to be some issues with the Havoc. Ihighly recamend a GTB if it will fit in your budget.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
iMOD

r u gona be racing fixed timing? im not sure if novak is using the dynamic tuning software either; which seems to be the new hotness.

If not, your looking at tekin, speed passion/hobbywing, lrp..depends on your budget.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM
NovakTwo

ORIGINAL: iMOD

r u gona be racing fixed timing? im not sure if novak is using the dynamic tuning software either; which seems to be the new hotness.

If not, your looking at tekin, speed passion/hobbywing, lrp..depends on your budget.

Our new Kinetics1S and 2Sare PC programmable (NovaLink) with full advanced timing adjustability; they also include a genuine, non-timing Sportsman mode for spec racing. Our Havoc Pro SCs have up to 44 degrees of AT, on-board adjustability but require no computer or programming card (Short Course and off road). The HP/SC also has a Sportsman mode setting.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: proanti1

No one needs tire warmers... Especially someone racing in a stock class. Those are the lease useful rc related invention since the aluminum fuel gun.
Almost as bad the diamond coated carbide cutters they used to sell for com lathes.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 AM
D.DJ

Hmmm, so the Havoc's have a little 'havoc' inside them?
I was thinking of the GTB as well, so here are my options.

Motors:
Novak SS Pro BL 17.5t
Team Epic DUO 2 ROAR Spec 17.5t
"                           " 3 "Monster Horsepower" 17.5t
Team Losi Xcelorin Sensored BL 17.5t

Speedies:
Novak GTB Brushed/Brushless
LRP Ai Brushless Reverse ESC

What would be a good combo out of these? Or would a HobbyWing 17.5 combo be just as good?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM
crunchNmunch

You don't need a "reversing"ESCif you're going to be racing, actually you can't use them so it's a needless feature.
While the HobbyWing stuff is fine for the bashers, no self-respecting racer that is the least bit serious would use one.

Stick with the premium racer-worthy brands (Novak, Tekin, etc), and spend as much as your budget will allow you to afford to get the best ESC you can the first time around. Then if you decide to go to a faster modified class later on at least you'll only have to buy another motor and not need to upgrade the ESC too.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM
et2willi
My Feedback: (6)

The best 17.5 combo at my local track is a Novak Ballistic motor and a Tekin RS esc (you don't need a RS pro unless your running lower than 6.5 turn motors).
Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 PM
D.DJ

OK, Ill definitely go the Novak GTB speedy, and now what would be the better motor out of the options I previously mentioned?

Novak SS Pro BL 17.5t
Team Epic DUO 2 ROAR Spec 17.5t
"                           " 3 "Monster Horsepower" 17.5t
Team Losi Xcelorin Sensored BL 17.5t

Im thinking of the Team Epic Duo 3 just simply because of the name! But is it reliable or is there something better?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Minkis815

I run the havoc system in my 13.5 pan car, 17.5 sk car, SC10, RC10T4 and never had a problem. I'm not an & main driver in any of my classes that I race but I have qualified for a main's with it. For the money I think the havoc system is a great deal. As for TC I'm not sure how they do. But I race oval and off road and it's competitive. Not dominant, but def competitive. But if you can afford something better do it.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Almost as bad the diamond coated carbide cutters they used to sell for com lathes.
Apparently all you boys living in the warm climes of Texas and California, and play outdoors all winter,don't realize it actually getsbelow 50-degreesother places.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:36 PM
iMOD

the hobbywing <u>XErun</u> are fairly decent. check the thread over at rctech.net