Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Decent brushless ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:28 PM
toothless23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent brushless ESC

Need suggestions for a brushless ESC or ESC/motor combo budget of about $80 for ESC and motor.
The setupisfor on-road use TC3.

I've heard good things about Tacon motors ($24)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m22-car-3650-4420.html

Any suggestions on ESC? feel free to recommend other products.

Will run 2s lipo and want speeds of about 45mph</p>
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Decent brushless ESC

If that's your budget, stick with brushed, or save more.

I'm not saying that to be mean, or cynical, but any quality (which you should always demand) ESC/motor combo will cost you at least twice as much as your present budget.

The best are the ones that are programmable, have a following, and support. The last is important. Support will save you time and effort, if you contact the manufacturer about questions you may have, or things you are not sure about. It will save you money, because they will warn you about thingsNOTTODO, in regard to their products.

The motor you link to most likely uses bottom-of-the-barrel components, and questionable construction methods. The price is the giveaway. You get what you pay for. You will be buying another motor in less than a year.

You want 45 MPH. That means whatever you buy will be used in it's top-end range most of the time. I can recommend only one manufacturer for the speed demon- Castle Creations. They are reasonably priced, and of high quality, but as I said, twice as much as your budget.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM
iMOD

HW ezrun 9t.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM
crunchNmunch

If that's your budget, and goals, save your money until you can afford at least 3-times that.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 AM
joeyhatch11

Go take advantage of Towerhobbies.com. They have an awsome easy pay option for ALL there Castle Creations motors/ESC combos. Look into their SideWinder lineup. Prices are $120-145. Easy pay option give you the ability to make 2-3 monthly payments but the coolest part is, once you make that first payment, they ship you the product!!! So you dont have to wait to play. And like mentioned above Castle Creations offers the BEST customer support out there. I've owned a few of there combos before and have burnt out the ESC and motor from running them beyond there limits and they simply replaced them with new ones. That right there has made me a customer for life.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, can believe some of the advice given here.
to spend $80 on a brushed system would be a foolish thing to do.
get the ez-run system off ebay. the 35amp system with motor/esc and program card is $80 or $90 shipped.
i have that system on my car and it works great. its fast on 2s, screams on 3s. and with the program card you can adjust braking force, punch control and other settings that help alot with getting all that power to the road.
on 2s, geared for speed runs you can do 45mph. i have mine geared for "overall" performance. but it still does around 40mph. and the acceleration is crazy.
no way a $80 brushed setup will be as fast.

note: the only thing you need to know about the ez-run system. it comes with a fan, but that fan can only be used with a 2s lipo(or nimh packs) if you try to use 3s lipo is send too much voltage to the fan and kills it. so, if you do want to run 3s, you will just have to buy a fan and run it off the reciever.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
toothless23

thanks nitro...

I was wondering if the 35amp ESC would be enough or if i need a 60 or even 80amp ESC.  I know many people are using the EZrun, Tacon, XERUN to name a few brands for off road with good reviews.  Figured I'd give them a try too.
Thanks for the warning on the fan.  Although I always run mine on a separate 2s lipo 800mAh which powers all fans, lights, etc

BTW
I also have a VLX on the SLASH 4x4 and Castle creations (MMP/2650kv) on a second SLASH but if I can obtain similar power for a fraction of the cost why not. 
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
iMOD

How serious are you about racing? Having a TC3, its almost apparent that your not too big of quality freak. Not saying its a bad car, but its not like u have a trf 416 or an xray.

but..

If your not a serious racer, the hobywing is a great choice. Ive owned the 9t combo personally, and it had excellent balance. you will not need to put it over 2s lipo. If you get the 9t combo, the 35A esc will be enough.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: toothless23

thanks nitro...

I was wondering if the 35amp ESC would be enough or if i need a 60 or even 80amp ESC. I know many people are using the EZrun, Tacon, XERUN to name a few brands for off road with good reviews. Figured I'd give them a try too.
Thanks for the warning on the fan. Although I always run mine on a separate 2s lipo 800mAh which powers all fans, lights, etc

BTW
I also have a VLX on the SLASH 4x4 and Castle creations (MMP/2650kv) on a second SLASH but if I can obtain similar power for a fraction of the cost why not.
the power will be different. the ez-run system is far less amps. it will still be really fast, since you are putting in a lighter- onroad car.
if you put a vxl system in a onroad car, traction will be a huge issue since vxl speed control doesnt have any settings for punch control, braking ect.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
toothless23

i've never raced an RC, and didn't claim to.  The TC3 is about 10yrs old and its just for parking lot fun.  As I said I do have MMP, but if I can get similar results with other brands and save $$ why not give it a try.

If I want to race I'll take my 911 or Z to the track
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
crunchNmunch

If I want to race I'lltake my 911 or Z to the track
Yeah right, LOL
Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Timbulb

i've never raced an RC, and didn't claim to.
If I want to race I'lltake my 911 or Z to the track

HAHA! Suuuure... The insurance on those must be killer, thats why you can only spend $80 on a ESC/motor combo, right?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
toothless23

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Didn’t say I could only afford an $80 ESC, I want to spend $80…BIG DIFFERENCE.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Keep in mind, I’m not a teen nor in my early 20s.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Insurance is about twice as much on the 911 than the Z.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">But here’s an example like the ESC. </font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The premium car is the 911 (just like Mamba) and the Z could be the budget (just like EZrun).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>In stock form, the 911 will beat the Z in every category, although not by much in some.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>With the upgrades I did, the Z will match the 911 in almost every category and even beat in some for a fraction of the 911 cost.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span></font></font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I love both the cars.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Would I buy another 911? Not sure. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Would I buy another Z? Definitely.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">As someone mentioned customer service is different from brand to brand, Porsche and MB have a much better service than other brands (just like with ESC or any other product), but you can get similar performance for much less.

But to put this aside, Just picked up a Mamba ESC, clearance $75.   Just need the motor now</font></p>
Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 AM
rc18junky

ORIGINAL: gokemidoro

The motor you link to most likely uses bottom-of-the-barrel components, and questionable construction methods. The price is the giveaway. You get what you pay for. You will be buying another motor in less than a year.

i have a few of those motors and there is nothing wrong with them. there as good as any mamba motor i ever had . hobbypartz is just selling at a great price other sites has them listed for 60.00 or more. there come in exceed brushless rtr. any way if a 24 dollar last almost a year thats good i would say
Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 AM
gokemidoro

Hey, what works for you, works for you.

Personally, I like the idea of support. Castle motors are also the strongest I've ever owned. To each his own, I guess.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:53 AM
RC-Hedgie

i've never raced an RC, and didn't claim to. The TC3 is about 10yrs old and its just for parking lot fun. As I said I do have MMP, but if I can get similar results with other brands and save $$ why not give it a try.

If I want to race I'll take my 911 or Z to the track
OK Check out the Mtoniks range of brushless ESC. Bit more than the budge, but for bashing they are totally waterproof. Mine works really well with a cheap Turnigy motor. I do not race and only have 25C 2S LiPo, more than fast enough for me.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 AM
crunchNmunch

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Didn&rsquo;t say I could only afford an $80 ESC, I want to spend $80&hellip;BIG DIFFERENCE.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"></font></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Keep in mind, I&rsquo;m not a teen nor in my early 20s.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Insurance is about twice as much on the 911 than the Z.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">But here&rsquo;s an example like the ESC. </font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The premium car is the 911 (just like Mamba) and the Z could be the budget (just like EZrun).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>In stock form, the 911 will beat the Z in every category, although not by much in some.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>With the upgrades I did, the Z will match the 911 in almost every category and even beat in some for a fraction of the 911 cost.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span></font></font>
For the money you're talking, a more accurate comparison would be to compare the Z to a Yugo, one's a real and the other really isn't. With an $80 ESCbeing Yugo money.
You haven't come close to touchinga 911 type ESC.
</p>
Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a tamiya tb03 with the ezrun 9t combo and 3s and its a screamer, anyone know which sidewinders can handle 3s?</p>
Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: crunchNmunch

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Didn&rsquo;t say I could only afford an $80 ESC, I want to spend $80&hellip;BIG DIFFERENCE.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Keep in mind, I&rsquo;m not a teen nor in my early 20s.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Insurance is about twice as much on the 911 than the Z.</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></p>

</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">But here&rsquo;s an example like the ESC. </font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">The premium car is the 911 (just like Mamba) and the Z could be the budget (just like EZrun).<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>In stock form, the 911 will beat the Z in every category, although not by much in some.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>With the upgrades I did, the Z will match the 911 in almost every category and even beat in some for a fraction of the 911 cost.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span></font></font>
For the money you're talking, a more accurate comparison would be to compare the Z to a Yugo, one's a real and the other really isn't. With an $80 ESCbeing Yugo money.
You haven't come close to touchinga 911 type ESC.
</p>
The ez may not be the 911or a Z , but the Xe-run is damn near the Gallardo at half the price .