Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

HK RCG50 same as DLE55?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK RCG50 same as DLE55?

Maybe someone can give some insite to these engines... I bought a rcg50 from HK but it does not look like the picture on HK website...it looks identicle to a DLE55 has the same bore and stroke as the dle...the cylinder and crankcase look the same also...I took the cylinder off and the porting is rather rough but the piston and porting from what I can see looks like the dle55. Tower has parts listed for the dle55 and 30 and from their pictures and the best I can see inside the cylinder looks exactly like the RCG50 I and another club member received from HK. I watched some videos on You tube of the RCG50 but they look like the motor I was supposed to get from HK...that motor has 8 fins and the cylinder is slightly tapered from bottom to top and the prop hub is smooth instead of recested like the dle55. I'm trying to decide which engine I should use on a new Yak 88" ws and 16 to 17lbs. I have the RCG50 and I have a great running Brison 3.2. What do you motor heads think?

Thanks, Ron
Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
aussiesteve

Default RE: HK RCG50 same as DLE55?

ORIGINAL: Flatspin-RCU

Maybe someone can give some insite to these engines... I bought a rcg50 from HK but it does not look like the picture on HK website...it looks identicle to a DLE55 has the same bore and stroke as the dle...the cylinder and crankcase look the same also...I took the cylinder off and the porting is rather rough but the piston and porting from what I can see looks like the dle55. Tower has parts listed for the dle55 and 30 and from their pictures and the best I can see inside the cylinder looks exactly like the RCG50 I and another club member received from HK. I watched some videos on You tube of the RCG50 but they look like the motor I was supposed to get from HK...that motor has 8 fins and the cylinder is slightly tapered from bottom to top and the prop hub is smooth instead of recested like the dle55. I'm trying to decide which engine I should use on a new Yak 88'' ws and 16 to 17lbs. I have the RCG50 and I have a great running Brison 3.2. What do you motor heads think?

Thanks, Ron
The "RCG's from Hobby king are RCGF products. The one you have is most likely the 55cc. There are a number of them being sold under various brand names that are assembled from "extremely similar looking parts" that are available off the shelf there from a major engine parts supplier. The original 50 had "similar looking parts" to the DLE50.

No doubt someone will chime in about how the factory makes 2 lines of product - one junk for the local market and one good for the US market - I would think that is a hard thing for them to do as it would require a heck of a lot of parts tracking to make sure the junk went to the right place.

check the needles are both set at 1 3/4 turns open, check the timing is a 28-30 degrees BTDC, check the carb mount area is sealed, start it, tune it, fly it, enjoy it.

I would suggest the Brison over the RCGF product for your plane.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ron, Discussing a Brison 3.2 in the same sentence as a cheap HK import is blasphemy. There is only one answer. Use the Brison. Dan.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Sorry Dan, of course your wright about the Brison but it will require removing a lot of the nice cowl for the muffler and it weighs about 10 oz more than the rcg. I think the carb will fit totaly inside the cowl but hope I don't have tuning issues from turbulant air etc inside the round cowl but I'll probably have to cut a hole for the carb anyhow so I can choke it. I wanted to keep it neat and looking good.
So I don't know if I got screwed from HK or got lucky. Guess I'll have to build a test stand so I can see what kind of lumber the RCG swings and then make my final decision. Thanks for your responces
Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hum let me see 10 years old and running strong....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om31781.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1520725   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh20511.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1520726   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb74841.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1520727   Click image for larger version

Name:	ke91213.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1520728   Click image for larger version

Name:	gs94597.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1520729   Click image for larger version

Name:	vm83520.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1520730   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv38650.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1520731   Click image for larger version

Name:	ts61840.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1520732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	zx41484.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1520733   Click image for larger version

Name:	zm61843.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1520734   Click image for larger version

Name:	nt83509.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1520735   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc19751.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1520736  
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

Thats a nice looking model, who makes it?? Thats unreal, you have 10 years with that Brison, wow, do you fly it often in those 10 years
Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM
krayzc-RCU

I have had the motor on two models a Dave Patrick Extra and the Yak for about 3-4 years. The kit it’s on now is an Extreme Flight Yak 54. I put about 40-80 flights on the motor each year. I have rebuilt the carb about 2-3 times in that period and I put a new ring on it about 2 years ago. At present it’s running on 32.1 Pennzoil of which I use on all my gassers. I have never worn out a motor so I think some flyers stress too much about this or that, this or that being oil, time in the air, ECT.... I did use am soil for about a year or two, the 5 years or so before that I can't recall what I used I would just buy some 2 stroke oil from motorcycle shops. 10 years ago Brison was the motor to have a few years ago Gary and Harvey doors closed....

Name:	jh15169.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1520833   Click image for larger version

Name:	va72910.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1520834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89690.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1520835  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After seing that popcorn & coke....I want some!!!! I bet that advance you have on that engine is better in some ways than the auto advance. Not sure. Looks like you did it "right" for several years. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Walt and Sage

Gentlemen:
I have a number of the RCG 50HK motors...
ALL of them have NEVER missed a beat...

I have always thought they were a 55 as they have more power
than my DL50s...

The "BLING" attached has hundreds of flights on the RCG 50HK motor...
So far worth $179 .....
Walt

Name:	Vt56017.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1520970  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

Hum let me see 10 years old and running strong....
Krayzc,

Your garage is TOO CLEAN!!!! Throw something on the floor before taking more pics.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Flatspin-RCU

I have my brison 3.2 all mounted up...only had to make one 2" oval hole to clear the muffler. was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Walt..glad to hear your RCG's run well. I may take my HK FTL50 off of my GP Ultimate and put the RGC on there...the FTL runs good but has no balls for hovering.

I've had 2 Brison 3.2's and I let one go with a plane I sold but the other one I had in a Kangke Rearwin Speedster for about 8 or 9 years. Only flew it at local airshows and not scale like by any means...it would hover the Rearwin with a 32oz smoke tank at about 19 lbs. Lots of fun. The Rearwin is for sale with servos so going to a swap this Sunday to try and unload it. Ya can't keep um all!!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: Walt and Sage

Gentlemen:
I have a number of the RCG 50HK motors...
ALL of them have NEVER missed a beat...

So far worth $179 .....
Walt
THis is what I have been preaching for a long time now. If you are going to buy an Asian engine (and can handle repairs and tuning yourself), then it is well worth considering buying them from the cheapest source. There is no "special production" for the Chinese market - the same risk of a bad one exists. Parts are available from HK for any product they sell if you need to get them, the actual work is simple. Why not save money? - If you was not worrying about the cost, Chances ar you would be looking at other brands anyhow.

Very recently, I was offered a chance to deal with a very nicely built series of new Gassers from Asia (Not China), My business decision to not stock them was because they were already available at only 2% above my cost from "overseas". I just moved on for another lineup that is not from that part of the world instead.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Four things distinguish higher priced engines from Asian engines. Consistency, quality, longevity, and price. Which is about how you would figure it should be to justify the cost differential.

There is not enough history among the Asian engine to establish an "average" lifespan with them. They haven't been around long enough. However, there is enough evidence to determine that failures occur at a much greater frequency level with the Asian engines that with domestic or European engines.

Fact of life; there are no engines on the market that will last as long or be as reliable as what I'll call the old saw conversions such as Brison, Taurus, Walker, BME, and Brillelli. You can depend on them to be there for you for upwards of 800 and more flying hours if you didn't use them for post hole diggers at speed. Even then most are repairable. They were designed to last 1,000 hours before requiring a top end replacement. 3w is good for 600 and more hours on a consistent basis. DA is in the same ballpark. I don't have enough history with MVVS and ZDZ to make solid claims but their design, construction, and material selection is far superior to Asian engines so I'll go so far as to suggest they would rate with 3w and DA for longevity. Zenoah is a given. Like the saw conversions, they were designed to last almost forever.

So you get what you pay for. Simple as that. You'll always be able to find a new Asian engine a little cheaper than others of their type because every day a new shack assembly source starts up to fight over the same piece of meat. They might all be made by only a couple of companies and be playing marketing games to secure market share. Anticipate with all of that type the promise of them being made and assembled by the least qualified and cheapest available person that can do the job. If you get 200-300 hours out of an Asian engine you got your money's worth. You got half or a little less than half the life cycle of a more expensive engine for 2/3 to 3/4 the price. Think about that for a minute. Toss it when it's done and start over. If their prices go up you might want to re-think your product selection.

One other factor that should be considered. Design and power improvements. Only one has come from Asia with the DLE 50 induction path. Aside from that one, all are derived from the western manufacturers. Asia typically only copies designs and lowers quality to shave production costs, they never lead the industry in anything but price. BTW, I use Asian engines too, so there isn't any xenophopia involved with the above. Just truth and practicality. I base my purchase and use decisions on a balance of factors. Sometimes price is the deciding factor, but not frequently.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:44 PM
krayzc-RCU

well spoken T O M
Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

well spoken T O M
Absolutley - I couldn't agree more.

100% of What T.O.M has mentioned is why my signature line is worded the way it is. I saw the light (largely after taking a step back and actually listening to suggestions from the truly experienced people like T.O.M) and I wish I had listened to them a long time ago. Now when I fly, I only worry about 3 things - My Thumbs, Fuel tank levels and Batteries charged.

I don't have time to play with throw away engines. I only have time to fly.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:36 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Four things distinguish higher priced engines from Asian engines. Consistency, quality, longevity, and price. Which is about how you would figure it should be to justify the cost differential.

There is not enough history among the Asian engine to establish an ''average'' lifespan with them. They haven't been around long enough. However, there is enough evidence to determine that failures occur at a much greater frequency level with the Asian engines that with domestic or European engines.

Fact of life; there are no engines on the market that will last as long or be as reliable as what I'll call the old saw conversions such as Brison, Taurus, Walker, BME, and Brillelli. You can depend on them to be there for you for upwards of 800 and more flying hours if you didn't use them for post hole diggers at speed. Even then most are repairable. They were designed to last 1,000 hours before requiring a top end replacement. 3w is good for 600 and more hours on a consistent basis. DA is in the same ballpark. I don't have enough history with MVVS and ZDZ to make solid claims but their design, construction, and material selection is far superior to Asian engines so I'll go so far as to suggest they would rate with 3w and DA for longevity. Zenoah is a given. Like the saw conversions, they were designed to last almost forever.

So you get what you pay for. Simple as that. You'll always be able to find a new Asian engine a little cheaper than others of their type because every day a new shack assembly source starts up to fight over the same piece of meat. They might all be made by only a couple of companies and be playing marketing games to secure market share. Anticipate with all of that type the promise of them being made and assembled by the least qualified and cheapest available person that can do the job. If you get 200-300 hours out of an Asian engine you got your money's worth. You got half or a little less than half the life cycle of a more expensive engine for 2/3 to 3/4 the price. Think about that for a minute. Toss it when it's done and start over. If their prices go up you might want to re-think your product selection.

One other factor that should be considered. Design and power improvements. Only one has come from Asia with the DLE 50 induction path. Aside from that one, all are derived from the western manufacturers. Asia typically only copies designs and lowers quality to shave production costs, they never lead the industry in anything but price. BTW, I use Asian engines too, so there isn't any xenophopia involved with the above. Just truth and practicality. I base my purchase and use decisions on a balance of factors. Sometimes price is the deciding factor, but not frequently.

Why would I want to pay an extra high price for an engine that will be around longer than myself? (wink)

I have owned/own Brison, BME, Zenoah, Tartan, Quadra, RCS and Brillelli engines. Where do I send those in for service these days?

All kidding aside. T.O.M. and some others on this forum know their stuff. I would listen to them with a serious ear for details.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Ahh Ed, how right you are.

If not for the Chinese and DA we'd still have a lot of good engine manufacturers around to send products back to when they hit the ground. That would have been the only time to send them back because they rarely wore out or broke anything.

If I thought I could make a small living at it I'd open up a repair shop. As things stand all people look for is free service, regardless of fault. Soon that situation will cure itself and the only place left to get work done will be at DA, 3w, or in China. Just a sense of presence I have about our current market.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:47 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

there's always a need for a good wrench man,especially with small engines.also you are your own boss,meaning you can come and go with the flying weather,like i try to do.