Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

respectfully disagree

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 AM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default respectfully disagree

I didn't want to take away from another post so I made another.

"i don't live under a rock, i just like to build my own kits and i encourage others to build their own as well.<u> whats wrong with someone acutally learning how something works?"

</u>Kaiser01, you made this comment in another post. I totally agree with your comments throughout the other post except this one. RTR kits allow people like me, who have a family and work 12 to 14 hours a day sometimes the time to play with their RC w/o wasting too much time building them. I have learned a ton even with my RTR. So don't think that ALL people who get a RTR don't liketo learn.

I do agree that some people just get a RTR and do not know how to even turn a screwdriver!! They ask some very weird questions when something fails or breaks on their RTR.

just saying.....

Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: respectfully disagree

rooker, i can respect your reasons, i too have a family. (heck i get one night a week for rc)

the whole point to my comment was really geared towards the new kids looking to get into rc (as we are all usually kids when we get into this hobby).

if it weren't for all the kits i built together with my dad i wouldn't be 1/2 as good with a wrench now.

if little johnny wants an rc car, little johnnies dad should get him a kit and they can build it together, not only is it a great learning experience it's also great father / son bonding time.
i can't wait for my boy to grow up (just a little bit lol) so we can enjoy this hobby together.

that's all i was trying to say, and it was irrelevent to the thread but the thread got derailed and i felt the need to set it straight (so the op of that thread had some good info on budget bl systems).
the whole part about rtr's was in response to a stupid question the thread derailer kept asking me.

no biggie, rtr, kit, whatever floats your boat is cool with me i just don't own any rtr's and don't care to.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
rooker

sure thing, no problem here

Isn't it nice to disagree and not be out of the way?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 PM
lancer123

when i was a kid,(11) i always used youtube vids to teach me how to solder, build battery packs, and rebuild whole rc cars
Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: lancer123

when i was a kid,(11) i always used youtube vids to teach me how to solder, build battery packs, and rebuild whole rc cars
hate to tell you
your still a kid
when I was a kid I had to go learn to solder from looking at pictures in a book. Year or so later I had to watch a good ole VHS tape on soldering that looked like it was recorded in the early 80s
I also had to go uphill to, and from school (technically that is not a joke school was on the other side of a bridge )
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a kid, computers were the size of houses, there was no internet, video was 8mm movie film. The LHS didn't have anything RC with wheels. It was all planes or boats. And none of them were RTR. All were kits with a very few boats having a fibreglass hull option. Rc gear was so expensive, hardly anybody had RC. Certaily no kids did. Heathkit made RC kits where you built your own transmitter, etc., but was still expensive.

So.....I grew up making all my own stuff. But these days I still prefer an RTR car, buggy, or truck. I have a fair number of them, and I can assure you it doesn't take long before you learn how they work, either by doing repairs, or by adding those "have to have" hop-ups.

If you've got a son who is keen on the hobby, a kit might be the perfect thing. Especially for Christmas as they get to build it over the winter (or in a few evenings if they're really keen). A father and son (or daughter) project they can do together is a great plus as well. If you're unsure of their interest, an RTR might be the way to go. Get them out there driving as soon as possible to spark that interest (or find out it's not their thing).

As said before, it's all a matter of personal choice....whatever floats your boat. For those who look down their nose at RTR purchasers, that's just a snob thing and should be ignored.

Like me when I say nitro is so much better than electric........it's a snob thing....just ignore me.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 AM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: rooker

sure thing, no problem here

Isn't it nice to disagree and not be out of the way?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM
RobbieP
Banned

If the Internet was in existance when you were a kid, you're still a kid.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM
redfisher1974

My first computer was the VIC 20 , Games came on a cassette tape which had to play forever to load just to play pong.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So this is an intersting thread covering at least 3 topics:

1/ how to respectfully disagree

2/ RTR vs Kit

3/ when I was a kid

Anything else we can add?......LOL
Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Argess

So this is an intersting thread covering at least 3 topics:

1/ how to respectfully disagree

2/ RTR vs Kit

3/ when I was a kid

Anything else we can add?......LOL
you forgot computers
Had a texas instrument (i forgot the #) that has cartridges that looked like NES cartridges , Then upgraded to a commodore 64 that ran off 5.25 floppy disks
Lets add archaic video games
Also had an atari 2600 WHICH I still have it and it works, used it till I got an original NES with R.O.B. (again still own, and both still work)
Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 AM
kaiser01

yeah, i had a vic 20. green screen and tape drives WOOT!.

i can't find my 2600, i thinks it's history, probably stuffed in the attic of our old house.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
RobbieP
Banned

How about "pay phones on every corner."
Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

ouch, you just made me feel very old, but then I remembered that youtube was created in 2005
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
airmayle

ORIGINAL: RobbieP

How about ''pay phones on every corner.''
Ya I remember that. Try finding one now.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Heh, we couldnt afford a computer when I was a kid.....but my best buddy at the time had a commodore 64 we played....the big time stuff with the bright green letters?  A text based game called "Zyll" I believe, was what we played.  Dual cassette players was huge for us in grade school.  I dont want to even guess how many "mix" tapes we recorded on TPS blank tapes 
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Heh, we couldnt afford a computer when I was a kid.....but my best buddy at the time had a commodore 64 we played....the big time stuff with the bright green letters? A text based game called ''Zyll'' I believe, was what we played. Dual cassette players was huge for us in grade school. I dont want to even guess how many ''mix'' tapes we recorded on TPS blank tapes
lol I remember the incredible hulk text base game
Don't think I ever made it out of the 3rd room
I think my favorite on the commodor was some lunar lander game where you had to land a moon module on varied surfaces on the moon, and digdug

one of the best NES game RC Pro-am (to get this somewhat on the forums topics )
Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 PM
93dabeast

my first comp was a macintosh lol with the big floppy disc. all i had to play with was gijoes and transformers. in highschool i had a pager not like kids now a days that have hiptop computers (blackberrys and i phones) internet didnt exist when i was a kid. but i do remember my all time favorite games on the comp which were oregon trail and hangman lol.i didnt know about hobby grade rc until i hit 19 and now when i turned 26 is when i really got into it. mind you that i turned 28 in august.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
RobbieP
Banned

I remember back in the early-mid 90s when I had gone back to college to work on my engineering masters, and went into a professors office to have a chat - and they were all excited about this thing they were trying to show me on their office computer called "The Worldwide Web," and trying to explain to me how you couldsend electronic mail and look up anything and use it to researchanything... one day.I remember leaving, rolling my eyes to myself, and thinking "yeah, right, that'll be the day."
Old 10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
rooker

ORIGINAL: RobbieP

How about "pay phones on every corner."
How about the gas pumps you fed money in?? I was talking to a year old about one of those yesterday, he thought I was crazy!

I am glad I started a thread that made us all feel good!!!! or old???
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I got you all beat...when I was a kid dinosaurs still roamed the earth...and it hadn't even completely cooled yet! And control line flying was a pterodactyl with a vine tied to one wing...
Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 PM
RobbieP
Banned

I'm old enough to remember when they wanted to pump the gas for you.</p>
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 PM
wesfowler

For what it's worth... my first two planes were ARFs... which got me interested in how to build one. I then bought a Piper Cub kit and spent 6 months putting it together... loads of fun... loved the building process. So I like both!! But... if I hadn't started with an ARF, I probably wouldn't have built the Cub.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
McWolf_101

I agree with S_V. I play RC Pro Am and RC Pro Am 2, even now.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 PM
rcslsafut

when i was a kid there was no internet ,
atari 400 was our first computer , we had to write hours of code to make a stick
figure move one inch . my uncles were into control lines , thats what sparked my interest
in r/c . the space shutlle blew up when i was a teenager , and a can of chew was less than a dollar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.