Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Elan flying in HD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Elan flying in HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Elan flying in HD

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3h60ne0wQ]Youtube[/link]

Some Elan flying in partly very low cloud...this was shot really without any planning ahead, but we'll do it better next time! Anyway, I still liked it after some editing, so check it out if you like.
The beginning is at 10 seconds, busy edit...

TP.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Sonicwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elan flying in HD

Stobe777.

Looks good, Nice flight an landing, nice location... Did you have much trouble getting the Wren 120 into the Elan ???

Jeremy.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Stobe777

Hi Sonicwings,

as to the turbine install-really no problems. The Wren 120 is shorter than any big blocs out there, so the tank can be closer to the CG. The turbines mount needed to be trimmed a little to fit in. And I shimmed the front end a bit to avoid blowing into the elevator so much.
Thanks for watching!

TP.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 PM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stobe777

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3h60ne0wQ]Youtube[/link]

Some Elan flying in partly very low cloud...this was shot really without any planning ahead, but we'll do it better next time! Anyway, I still liked it after some editing, so check it out if you like.
The beginning is at 10 seconds, busy edit...

TP.
Great flying. Thanks.<br type="_moz" />
Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM
petera38

Hi Stobe,
Great video....
Got an Elan myself with a Jet Cat P120SE.
On my first two flights I felt a bit uncomfortable flying, the model being very sensitive in spite of 35% exponential on ailerons.
Rechecked the C of G and found it to be too far forward, so now it&acute;s located where the manual wants it to be.
Yours look very stable in flight...where have you got your C of G?

regards
/Pete
Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Stobe777

Hej Pete,

the CG is now so that with the UAT full and the main tank empty the model is just about to fall into the tail, or does. So without the canopy hatch it stands on the tails, and with it it can be either way. Basically if you put like 0,5 liters to the main tank and taxi some to see, if the nosewheel still stays on the ground well enough to steer in the landing, I think You´re close. The model will not knife edge well unless You shift the CG back. The recommended CG is really too much forward. Mine has some lead also on the rudders. My undercarriage is the Pro-Lynx one.

My ailerons have 30% expo, but I use quite little movement, maybe 15-20 mm up and if you like a bit more down. The elevator has more than the manual says, really better that way. My elevator is always up maybe 1-2 mm. I use three flight modes with different control throws, so when flaps are down and the ailerons up, the movement is about as much as possible with almost no expo. And I`ve trimmed each flight mode to fly straight.
I can measure them next time I assemble it, but not sure if I fly it anymore this year.

BR,

Tuomas från Finland
Old 10-29-2010, 03:55 AM
petera38

Hej Tuomas,

Thanks a lot for the information. When I relocated the CofG it&acute;s now back to 23,5 cm from the trailing edge and like yours it&acute;s almost resting on the booms, so I guess it&acute;s as good as can be.
I&acute;m not using Flight modes...due to the fact that I&acute;m not too experienced when it comes to using all the "gimmicks" on my radio. (JR MX 22) I have converted it to Weatronic 2,4 gHz.
I started with the recomended throws, but found that the elevator was not too sensitive. On the ailerons I reduced the throws since it was a bit "nervous"...which might be because of the too forward CofG..???
We&acute;ll see wat happens when I start flying again.......
I also use the Pro Lynx undercarriage, which I find very rugged and well functioning.
Your airfield looks almost the same as ours here in mid Sweden (Dalarna)...but it starts to get too cold for flying....I&acute;m too old and comfortable for flying in winter...but like our Norweigan colleagues it would be a good idea to fly from the ice covered lakes, and thus avoid being rusty, when Spring comes....

Best regards
Pete
Sweden
Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 AM
PhilLin

Nice flying, Stobe!
Where is Vantaa in Finland? I've been to Jyvaskyla & of course, Helsinki; & even played a round of midnight golf.

Here's another vid of a Boomer I took to learn HD video shooting:
... www.youtube.com/watch?v=akPEgxJdYHQ

Phil
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Stobe777

Hi Phil,

Vantaa is where the Helsinki airport is! The airport is in Vantaa, although is called Helsinki airport. So it is the city next to Helsinki towards the north and east. The flying field in this video is in Nummela, which is a small airfield about 50 km from Helsinki towards Turku. The short runway serves as a landing site for full-size gliders, but at least now in the fall there is much room to fly models too.

TP.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50210.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1524907  
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice flying, The Boomer Elan is an awesome jet! I have over 160 flights on mine with a Jet Central Falcon in it. It a great everyday flyer, very easy flying and never lets you down , Enjoy It !