Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

a new and different ESC problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default a new and different ESC problem.

i have a ace veloci RS ESC in my drift car. i let a friend drive it the other day, and when the battery was almost done i noticed that the car wouldnt reverse anymore.

i just got some time today to look into is. there are 2 main issues.

1) no reverse. no brakes.
2) when i turn the speed control's switch off, the LED on the ESC goes out but the motor goes WOT!!!

i tried re-calibrating the ESC. but that didnt change anything. im thinking the esc is toast, but i dont see why that happened. the ESC has a 17t limit, and i have a photon speed 2 motor on it. plus it has drift tires on it, so there wasnt alot of load on the motor. plus the ESC is supposed to have overheat protection.

if anyone has any ideas i could try, please LMK. i posted a pic of the ESC
just never had a ESC fail like this before!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94751.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	1526576  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
RobbieP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a new and different ESC problem.

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner
im thinking the esc is toast, but i dont see why that happened. the ESC has a 17t limit, and i have a photon speed 2 motor on it. plus it has drift tires on it, so there wasnt alot of load on the motor.
Don't know for sure, but realistically running is wide-*****-open (like all the drifters do) is probably one of the hardest things on motors or ESCs. It might not have a lot of "drag" on it, because of the drift tires, but the load is still there from the drivetrain of the vehicle.
I don't have any experience with that particular ESC, but it is one of the more"budget models" - and I'd guess it just couldn't handle what you're trying to use it for.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it just strike me as odd, since any other ESC i have owned that failed would die and not even turn on. this one just lost reverse and brakes.

oh well, i have a traxxas XL-5 i can put in the car.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM
RobbieP
Banned

I've seen them fail all sorts of ways - from what you mentioned, to running wide-open-throttle all the time.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i have a ace veloci RS ESC in my drift car. i let a friend drive it the other day, and when the battery was almost done i noticed that the car wouldnt reverse anymore.

i just got some time today to look into is. there are 2 main issues.

1) no reverse. no brakes.
2) when i turn the speed control's switch off, the LED on the ESC goes out but the motor goes WOT!!!

i tried re-calibrating the ESC. but that didnt change anything. im thinking the esc is toast, but i dont see why that happened. the ESC has a 17t limit, and i have a photon speed 2 motor on it. plus it has drift tires on it, so there wasnt alot of load on the motor. plus the ESC is supposed to have overheat protection.

if anyone has any ideas i could try, please LMK. i posted a pic of the ESC
just never had a ESC fail like this before!
Toasted an ESC 3 weeks ago the same way
hit reverse it wouldn't go in reverse, or stop forward worked fine though.
I finally held down reverse for 30 seconds and it started to smoke
Mine was some un-named ESC though I was planning on throwing away anyways so no loss in my book.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:28 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Could you have burnet out the reverse FET (I did that in a old Duratrax Streak a long time ago)