Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Getting back into On Road

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 AM
jrowles91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into On Road

A few years ago I had a Losi XXX-s, didn't know much about brushless at the time but put a 6 turn brushed motor in it and it screamed!! Problem was I stretched my the drive band so bad I couldn't use it and stupidly sold it. My question is, what would you guys recommend for a car LIKE the xxx-s but maybe with drive shafts instead of bands that will stretch. I'd also be interested in a small brushless system in the future so something that can take a nice lipo battery too. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 AM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Getting back into On Road

You just missed out, bud.

The Losi JRXS Type R just sold out before it went into discontinuance just two weeks ago. It WAS belt drive, though. There isn't anything out there that remotely resembles the XXX-S.

Belts these days don't have the problems you encountered, if they are geared and adjusted correctly. That may have been your original problem. I would say stick with belt drive, but it's your choice, so here are afew that are somewhat affordable, that are pretty up-to-date:

Tamiya TA05 R

Associated TC5 or 6 (more the 5, the 6 is brand-new)

Ofna JL10e

Hot bodies TCX

The Ofna is the shaftie of the group, and is a very good chassis. I can vouch for it, because I had one. For a shaftie, it is very quiet, and built very tight. It is also the least expensive of the lot.
The HB TCX is the most expensive of the group, but very high quality.
The Tamiya TA05 R is the latest iteration of the Version II, and has a couple of improvements over the ver.II
The AE TC 6 is the latest update of the TC 5, and looks like a screamer.

I don't know what you intend with it, butone the above will surely fit your needs, unless someone else has a better choice.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 AM
jrowles91

Thanks for the insight. I'll look into them and see what I think. Question though... why do you prefer the belt drive rather then shaft? I'm really big into monster trucks (own 3) and I couldn't imagine them being belt drive lol.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 AM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: gokemidoro

There isn't anything out there that remotely resembles the XXX-S.
Also what did you mean by this? I thought the thing was awesome. I wish I didn't get rid of it. I'll surely get shunned for saying this but at the time I had the XXXs and a LST2 nitro truck. Thought I wasn't going to get into the hobby again so sold them both for $100, including everything that came with them and whatever I purchased for them. Guy got a great deal eh! lol. Stupid me kicking myself all the time for that one.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 AM
gokemidoro

On the XXX-S, It IS! I meant that there isn't anything available right now, that uses any of that technology, the way Losi did it with the XXX-S. Nobody encloses belts anymore (except maybe AE, with their mini SC truck), because I guess for the race factor- easier maintenence.

I was in monster trucks, myself. Had eight of them! Got tired of replacing broken parts all the time. Too expensive!

Into drift now, and haven't broken a single thing. I like that. More money for hop-ups!

Yah, belt drives are strictly on-road. I prefer them because of several things, not the least of which is adjustablility and maintenance. They're quiet, too. The reason I mention the JRXS-R is that chassis is FULLY adjustable. I purchased one shortly before it went off the market, and am amazed at it's versatility. It is my premier drifter, right now. It wasn't meant for drift, but it's adjustability makes it the "perfect" platform for it. I wish now, I had purchased TWO of them! They were going for $230 less than their original asking price of $430!!
They were race chassis. Definitely.

Anyways, look those up, or you may find something else in your "travels" that more closely fits what you are after. Most current on-road chassis can take brushless now, without a peep, so you have a lot of choices!
I'm going back to Ofna for their new drift chassis, because of it's price, and I know Ofna makes sturdy stuff!

Let us know what you decide, or have any more questions!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
jrowles91

Thanks so much for everything your said. I will look and make a decision but it will probably be a xmas present for myself!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ta05rv.2 is my choice of the lot, if you want shaft the tamiya tb03r is almost the same as the ta05rv.2 but shaft driven
Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 PM
jrowles91

Unfortunately I scratched the idea and bought a Tekin RX8 system for my monster truck. Thanks so much though guys. If I get the itch I'll definitely be taking all of your advise.