Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JPO Update on FAA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JPO Update on FAA

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JPO Update on FAA

This is a JPO update on the current discussions between the FAA and the AMA on potential regulations impacting model aviation. This update is based upon an ongoing dialog that the JPO is having with Dave Mathewson, our latest exchange having occurred this morning. I am starting a new post as several of the running threads on the subject have gotten pretty lengthy.

First, let me repeat that I have never gotten the impression that Dave or the AMA Executive Committee feel the turbine community is unimportant, despite our relatively small size. They have discussed and supported turbines openly with the FAA and are always responsive to my calls and emails. I will tell you it is my personal opinion that the turbine community is very fortunate to have this leadership team in place at the AMA during these times.

So here is a recap of what I know at this point.

1) The FAA continues (by law) to keep the specifics of the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) private, however, it is clear that several issues will be important to them including speed, altitude, size of model and proximity to full scale operations. While various numbers and alternatives have been batted about, what the FAA will ultimately recommend in the NPRM is far from certain.
2) While the NPRM is not due to be published until next summer, the AMA continues to meet with the FAA almost weekly in the hope that current dialog and education of FAA officials on our modeling operations will result in a more realistic and workable NPRM. This strategy makes a lot of sense and should be more collaborative than simply waiting for the NPRM and then responding in a defensive fashion.
3) You should expect that the FAA discussions will run hot and cold. Part of the issue is that the leadership at the FAA has changed multiple times. In the early fall, discussions hit a low point, but there are signs that things may be turning around. The latest round of meetings have been more collaborative, an FAA official with modeling experience is engaging positively in the process, and the FAA has accepted an invitation to participate in the AMA Expo in January ... all signs we should find encouraging.
4) As I mentioned earlier, the AMA and FAA have openly discussed turbines and at this point, there is no indication that the FAA intends on prohibiting turbine operations under the auspices of the AMA. In fact, the waiver program has been held out as a positive component of the AMA's overall safety record.
5) As Dave and Rich Hanson have pointed out, there may come a time where certain aspects of the final NPRM simply would be detrimental to our hobby (or business), and at that point the membership will be asked to support a lobbying effort. We are not there yet. As a precautionary measure, the AMA has also engaged a lobbyist to advise us should this become a legislative issue and to help open the door to elected representatives if needed.
6) The AMA will step up communications efforts with its membership in coming months. The JPO is working with the AMA on a potential webcast specifically for our SIG members to let us hear first hand about the latest developments in the FAA discussions.... another indication of the AMA's support of our community.
7) Right now, the NPRM is not due out until June 2011 at the earliest, though the FAA has the ability to modify its release date. If this happens I will publish an update.

While the process continues to wind its way to a conclusion, I would encourage everyone to fly safely, abide by and encourage others to abide by the regulations, and please don't spread misinformation. There is no reason to believe at this point that the FAA will do anything to prohibit our operations.

Thanks, and please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have further questions. I will continue to try to provide reliable and timely information as things progress. Your support of the JPO (or any other SIG representing any of your other RC interests) is important to the modeling community, and if you have not joined and wish to do so, visit our website www.jetpilots.org and click on the join button. Dues are $25 a year.

Happy holidays to all from me and the rest of the JPO officers.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Jet Blaster
Banned

Default RE: JPO Update on FAA

Thank you Keith for keeping us up to speed! We are fortunate to have you as our JPO President! I am renewing my JPO Membership now.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks Keith, as I have have said many times regarding this issue...this is the time when your membership in the JPO (and other SIGs as applicable) and AMA is critical. Whether you believe in the AMA or JPOor not, they are actively working to protect our right to fly model airplanes, jets included. There is safety in numbers and the bigger the better!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's somewhat restful news. Thank you Keith for the latest update.

... renewing my JPO tonight as well. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM
JOHNSCHR
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Keith!

Just joined. It's the least I can do to support those who support my hobby.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Thanks Keith

Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you speak to the cooperation that has been discussed superficially between the EAA (experimental aircraft association) and the AMA in recent times? As you are probably aware, the need for political action in the form of lobbying and grass roots campaigning has been and continues to be the subtle leverage that the EAA community has been forced to use to exist in any sort of attractive format. I certainly don't look forward to the costs associated with this sort of track, but at the end of the day it may not only be a wise move to have had discussion with a lobbyist, but possibly a couple lobbyists to make sure the direction and feedback is what we need to see before committing to one or another. Not only that, a plan has to be excecuted when needed, not formed in the heat of the moment. I trust these things are being considered. I have limited experience in this field and there do exist, (surprise surprise), bs'ers and scammers calling themselves lobbyists that all too happy to take money for not a lot of results.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Keith for the update. Thank you JPO for being there to represent our interests in such a professional manner. We look forward to any future information you can share with us as things progress.

Andy
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Kriptonic69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie,

I can Lobby for the Hobby, I'll make sure i get a few pictures of the FAA commision at a strip club back room doing lude acts while drunk, they use that as a way to blackmail them into leaving our Hobby Alone. If all else fails, I'll take my money and run to Vegas.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

Can you speak to the cooperation that has been discussed superficially between the EAA (experimental aircraft association) and the AMA in recent times? As you are probably aware, the need for political action in the form of lobbying and grass roots campaigning has been and continues to be the subtle leverage that the EAA community has been forced to use to exist in any sort of attractive format. I certainly don't look forward to the costs associated with this sort of track, but at the end of the day it may not only be a wise move to have had discussion with a lobbyist, but possibly a couple lobbyists to make sure the direction and feedback is what we need to see before committing to one or another. Not only that, a plan has to be excecuted when needed, not formed in the heat of the moment. I trust these things are being considered. I have limited experience in this field and there do exist, (surprise surprise), bs'ers and scammers calling themselves lobbyists that all too happy to take money for not a lot of results.

I will have to follow up on this subject. Through my involvement in the insurance committee I know that we are looking for ways to solve the liability problems associated with joint EAA/Model events (to encourage them), but beyond that, I'm not sure what connectivity there would be on the sUAS initiative.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Keith

thank you for your in depth discussion of the issue and the latest update. it's greatly appreciated that you bring a calm, rational informed approach to the issue at hand.

Thanks for being our JPO president.

joe
Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keith

I must say your post has been the most informitive of all the discussions and post I have seen on this subjectto date good job.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks, Just joined JPO.

Mike
Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

While the process continues to wind its way to a conclusion, I would encourage everyone to fly safely, abide by and encourage others to abide by the regulations, and please don't spread misinformation. There is no reason to believe at this point that the FAA will do anything to prohibit our operations.

Thanks Keith!

Guys, Keith also brought up a very good directive, "...please don't spread misinformation." There are folks that live on knowing something...whether it is true or not! The "activity" of us hitting misinformation head on is as important as receiving correct information. The best way, IMO, for dealing with wrong data is to keep moving forward with good data. I suggest we continue this "JPO" thread where our District Reps, our President and even a tidbit from Dave Matthewson from time to time, keeping the "good" info stream a runnin.

Also...a plug here...don't forget to renew your JPO membership this month! It's the end of the year and time for me to get R dun!

Rex

Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keith:

Thanks for the update and JPO's efforts.

Since I and other JPO members don't always log onto RCU regularly, I would appreciate receiving JPO updates via E-Mail also. JPO has its members E-Mail addresses, please use them to keep us up to date and not just for membership renewal reminders.

Nick
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's about time that more guys are joining our org. JPO
Keith has and is doing an EXCELLENT work as our president.
So, we have to stand by him and the AMA for all the efforts.
If we can't win it all, at least the more we get will benefit all
jet guys.

ENT, JPO
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilott28
I will have to follow up on this subject. Through my involvement in the insurance committee I know that we are looking for ways to solve the liability problems associated with joint EAA/Model events (to encourage them), but beyond that, I'm not sure what connectivity there would be on the sUAS initiative.
I recall one of the president updates in the AMA mag, and this is strictly from memory so it is probably partially skewed. But he was speaking about a joint venture with the EAA where they were going to try to do some official presentations at EAA Air Venture and other EAA events to widen the AMA/aeromodeling footprint to potentially get a few EAA guys and family members into the hobby again, or in the case of kids, for the first time. The EAA is one group that has a whole lot of experience working with the FAA in experimental aircraft certification, demilitarized warbirds, racing, airshow exhibitions, etc. There is a wealth of experience in their governing ranks doing exactly what we propose to be doing for the first time in our corporate history (working with a NPRM that has the potential to radically restrict our charter activity).

Would you be in a position to follow up on this line if only to make sure we are using our resources and available contacts to the maximum extent possible before anything comes to a political contest of will and maneuvering? One benefit is that the EAA are sport aviation people in many ways similar us, we don't need to pay a lobbyist to learn anything now from them and then to have another arrow in the quiver now before it's needed in desperation. Even subtle positioning now with the FAA may make a relatively large difference later. Though some of the spirit and intent of what will come out next year is beginning to gel into a solid at this point, it is far from cast in stone right now. This is one area that should be explored especially after the little New York stunt that may inflame the types that would rather restrict RC modeling in regulatory mire than have to deal with that type of renegade later on when more try to top it. (that stunt was not so much dangerous as a one off as it was a political challenge to those who don't want to manage RC in the airspace to see if they can get rid of a "problem" before it comes across their desk as something they are responsible for managing later on, giving them more work and less time at the coffee shop). Sorry to bring it up but it does none of us any good ignoring it.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
falconco
My Feedback: (22)

Renewed mine... Let's keep the JPO going for all the good work it has and will continue to do.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
tothemax

<span style="font-size: larger">Thanks for your efforts Keith.
I joined 2 years ago hope to get my waiver soon.</span>
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I dont fly jets, but I have to admit this is the sanest threat about this topic I've read.
Congrats guys, and as far as I am concern this is not a JPO problem, this is a RC community problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
at101

I don't fly jets either but everyone should be aware of this because all flyers might want to try to fly jets. If they ban one part of the hobby (which by the sounds of things they won't) then what will stop them from banning it all together  </p>
Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

I don't fly jets either, or at least yet, nor am I very religious either but amen to the mostsound piece of info thus far Keith.

hook
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

ORIGINAL: pilott28
Would you be in a position to follow up on this line if only to make sure we are using our resources and available contacts to the maximum extent possible before anything comes to a political contest of will and maneuvering?
Yes, I will follow up on this.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: Nick Yuhasz

Keith:

Thanks for the update and JPO's efforts.

Since I and other JPO members don't always log onto RCU regularly, I would appreciate receiving JPO updates via E-Mail also. JPO has its members E-Mail addresses, please use them to keep us up to date and not just for membership renewal reminders.

Nick
Nick, good idea. Thanks. K.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

Lets invite a couple of the FAA Officials to the Jet World Masters.
Give me a couple of names and I will send them a formal invitation.
Or better yet maybe they would want a booth, along with JPO,to display FAA particulars to a world wide audience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.