Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Homeowners insurance cancelled, you could be next I'm told

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Homeowners insurance cancelled, you could be next I'm told

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:13 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Homeowners insurance cancelled, you could be next I'm told

Got the attached letter this morning. Spent an hour with my local rep. He's going back to underwriting now that he has a better understanding. I walked him through the waiver process, the list of waiver holders, the insurance coverage, the flight charachteristics of a roo. Videos other people's websites etc. I did the best I could to make a case that this is a hobby plane. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I did dispell that "Jet Fuel" as written in the letter was simply Kerosene and that there is little difference between a turbine engine and a salamander heater. We'll see. Nationwide indicated to my local rep that they may go through and specifically exclude the flying of remote control airplanes in any form according to my guy.
Sean

http://www.reitmeyer.com/planes/homeown.pdf
Old 08-05-2003, 03:25 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did it come up?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:31 PM
seanreit

Originally posted by sideshow
Why did it come up?
They paid me $6,000.00 on a homeowners loss claim due to a car accident I had. My local agent said that it's very rare that they cancel a policy straight out rather than just non-renew.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:33 PM
six shooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly because of the claim he filed for the accident he had with the trailer.

Lets hope he didn't just tell his insurance carrier just for the heck of it.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My homeowners insurance agent (Pat Ropp, Farmers) knows all about my jets, and is perfectly happy about it - especially since I opted to buy a PUP from her to extend the coverage in the event of the nasty stuff hitting the fan.

Gordon
Old 08-05-2003, 04:02 PM
seanreit

Gordon, I may just get with the guys here in Austin and find out who they are going with and just switch. I've never had to do that before, but I guess it'll probably be painless. I know Roger bought some additional insurance and I know Gregg Bingham bought an additional policy for extra coverage on his stuff. My concern is that if they ask me why I was dropped, I can't lie, and I certainly can't send that letter over. I guess I need to find a jet friendly agent if there is such a thing in Austin.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Jim C.

are you telling the whole story??? sounds fishy to me. that is a pretty nasty, nasty-gram. hope it all works out for ya. good luck.. i think they are takin it out of context.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:40 PM
seanreit

Originally posted by GraupnerFan
are you telling the whole story??? sounds fishy to me. that is a pretty nasty, nasty-gram. hope it all works out for ya. good luck.. i think they are takin it out of context.
Nothing here to embellish or hide. I agree taking it out of context. I wasn't even flying the darn things and I get this. My guess is an underwriter looked up a website or two while processing the claim, saw what these were and found it to be a higher risk than what a normal homeowners insurance should be for? I was hoping some others that have spoken openly with their insurance carriers would post here as to their experiance. We've talked about additional coverage before, but how do you have a conversation with an insurance agent about this without making it sound scary and risky?

It's not necessarily that it is, but......................
Old 08-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Jim C.

sorry .. i wasnt implying that you were hiding anything.. not at all. just wanted to make sure it was the whole story.. that really sucks!!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Gordon Mc

if you still want to try to salvage your current cover...

Re the "jet fuel on premises" thing -- go to your local firestation and ask to speak to the fire-chief. Ask him how much kerosene the local regulations permit you to store in your premises for personal consumption (it's usually only about 5 to 10 gallons in my area, BTW).

Then you can go back to the insurance guy and give him the contact info for the fire chief and inform him of the quantity of fuel that the fire dep says is okay, and the (smaller) quantity that you have in your garage.

Gordon
Old 08-05-2003, 07:22 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Sean,
Have you talked to AMA yet? I think that you should get with Carl Maroney at AMA headquarters ASAP. They need to see this letter.
Al Watson
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Sean,

One of the nasty things insurance companies seem to be doing these days is dropping clients after ANY claims for the most convenient reason possible. My guess (although it doesn't help much) is that you got caught up in that current mode of doing business. I'd write it off as a bad insurance and go in search of another insurance company. Check with Geico, Statefarm, or if you're former military, USAA.

Bob

ps. I've talked with USAA specifically about my models on several occasions and the jet in particular and I've always been told that if its not business related, it covered under general liability and they always seem to dismiss it as something they aren't really concerned about. Also, if you read what Dave Brown has to say about the AMA's liability insurance experience, he says that the VAST majority of their claims, both in number and $'s, are NON MODELING related (e.g., falling and twisting an ankle at an AMA insured field, etc.)
Old 08-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Why are we (AMA) paying for non-modeling claims. I think it is wrong. Does anyone else agree? Is there anything that can be done?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default hmmm

I am an insurance agent but only licensed in Prop. and Casualty- (Auto) let us know what happens....

I will do a little research and see what I can find-
Old 08-05-2003, 11:15 PM
seanreit

Originally posted by Geistware
Why are we (AMA) paying for non-modeling claims. I think it is wrong. Does anyone else agree? Is there anything that can be done?
AMA did not pay for a non-modeling claim. My homeowners insurance paid for a property (models) claim in an auto accident. Then after I got paid, they sent me the letter (within about three weeks).
Old 08-06-2003, 01:02 AM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Default What Probably Happened

Many companies have a process whereby a claims adjuster files a DOR (desirability of risk) report if they spot something when settling a claim. Typically, they are out at your house to look at car damage and see that you have a backyard full of attack dogs or something similar. The DOR report goes to the underwriter for review, and if they think there is a risk not contemplated in their product pricing and the law allows it, they will then cancel you. I suspect that happened here.

I would also guess that the liability exposure scares them. Most insurance companies haven't awakened to this yet, but if Nationwide just had a large liability claim settlement they paid due to a model aircraft accident, the red flags are up and you happened to fall into a category of risk they no longer want to insure.

If you want to question their legal right to cancel the policy, contact your state insurance department and see if they complied with their approved filings and the state insurance code. Each state is a little different, so there won't be a general rule. You just need to check.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:16 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

It Looks like your insurance company was not a good one to be with any way. Try Alfa or another one....

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2003, 12:33 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by seanreit
AMA did not pay for a non-modeling claim. My homeowners insurance paid for a property (models) claim in an auto accident. Then after I got paid, they sent me the letter (within about three weeks).

Sean,

I think he was refering to my comment about AMA paying non-modeling claims at AMA insured flying sites - that info. was from one of DB's editorials a few months back.

I still think your insurance company was looking for an excuse to drop you because of the claim...

Bob
Old 08-07-2003, 06:52 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Default 911/insurance

Hi, I hear about this all the time from my girlfriend, if for some reason you claim a loss on your homeowners insurance they will cancel you, this has to do with insurance company's cutting risk, in other words they want to collect your premium but don't want to pay,if they do they will more than likely cancel you,this may not be true for all company's but this is my 2 cents of advice. Don't claim unless its a major loss,also be careful on flood damage from a washer or broken pipe,I heard story's of insurance companys plain out refusing coverage due to the risk of toxic mold that can come from the excess moisture, in all be careful insurance in the US is changing due to large losses resulting from 911 attacks.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:02 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

The 9/11 attacks are only part of the reason premiums are going up. The primary reason is the large losses they (the ins. companies) incurred in the markets. Sort of a nice deal for them, they lose money and the rest of us pay for it. It seems that anytime I reach for my billfold I shake hands with an insurance company.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Seems funny that the insurance companies always complain about loss of profits and there liabilities, but it doesn't seem to be a shortage of insurance commercials on prime time TV.... Maybe they have there priorities wrong..... Its OK though one day the public will get feed up with their BS, and maybe well get a decent insurance system in this country. And yeah I don't by this lawsuit propaganda either.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:22 AM
PJFaller

sean,

I dont know if it was the JET-A or the KERO that they freaked about if it was either I dont know the full story. But as far as JET-A being a hazard for fire Maybe trying to explain the fact that it will only burn Atomized and under pressure, the fact is you could throw lit matches into a 55 gallon drum of JET-A all day long and it will never burn. Thats why we shutdown in case of control loss. Unfortunately the explosion of our fuel tanks is what causes the fires if the engine and pump are shut down. Just my two cent maybe its not the case but like I said I dont know the whole story.

Pete
Old 08-10-2003, 11:48 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bummer

Sean, as you know, I just had a large claim with Nationwide from the theft of the planes. It has been a little more than 4 months and I have heard nothing ("knock on wood").
I had long discussions with my agent about these planes and she said, as was stated earlier, that if it was not for business, "no problem".
I would do as pilott28 suggest, and check to see if they can even do it. I'm sure you have paid more than $6000 in premiums over the years and now they whining about your little claim .
Why do we have insurance if all we do is pay in and get punished when we have a legitimate claim?
I hope Nationwide doesn't decide to cancel me. I have been very happy with them up to this point.

Sorry to hear it.

Talk to you later,
George
Old 08-10-2003, 11:55 AM
seanreit

Hey George, to add insult to injury, on Friday I get home and there's a check from Nationwide. $139.00. I couldn't believe my eyes! "Cancellation credit Refund". I supplied my local agent with tons of information on why they should rescind the cancellation. I'm supposed to call him on Wed of this week. We'll see. In the mean time, I took the hundred, ordered some pizza and beer and built planes all weekend!
Old 08-10-2003, 12:14 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by seanreit
I took the hundred, ordered some pizza and beer and built planes all weekend!
They are really hammerin' you. At least you got a good weekend out of it. Let us know how it turns out.

George

P.S. I got a little story for you from Liberty Bell. Give me a call sometime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.