Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Advice for a (sort of) newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 PM
DiffSmoker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a (sort of) newbie?

[img]file:///C:/Users/MR249B~1.PIT/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/MR249B~1.PIT/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]It's almost surreal, actually.

I used to be really into RC cars. I never raced, we didn't have many options for it where I lived, but I was seriously into it. Started with a Tamiya aluminum-chassis, realized it was pretty limited, got a used RC10, then went all out and built two JRXPros, one car and one truck. At the same time had an AE on-road screamer.

Well... "screamer" is a relative term. Good night! What the heck happened?!?!

I'm out of the hobby for one tiny little decade and all of a sudden I come back and aliens have landed and given us their RC car technology! Freakin' brushless motors and LiPo batteries??? What the what?? I watched a vid about the new Losi 22 and he was saying how with LiPo batteries and brushless power, you have to actually make the dadgum car heavier! Good night, man.

So my son, who TOTALLY just did not get it when he was four (yeah, I tried to start him a little early...) is suddenly really into the idea of RC. We stopped to watch some guys outside a hobby shop in a parking lot burning the tires off their cars... and they were electric!!! Dudes, I used to run matched batteries and modified motors that cost a hundred bucks that couldn't begin to keep up with these things.

So my question for all you experienced folk, is, if you could start with one car, what would it be?

So I'm looking for opinions and preferences. Info to0 sort of help get me back up to speed. (So to speak...):

-First, electric or gas? I've never been a fan of nitro; too noisy, greasy, high maintenance. However, the power was there so it was tempting. But now with the present technology, I see even less reason to go with gas. So unless there are some really compelling reasons which I'm not seeing (definitely interested in hearing opinions on the subject however), we're planning on going electric.
-What's your preferred scale? We're expecting to go 1/10th scale. (do they do 1/8th elec?...) I know 1/12th is really fast, but they're just so........ tiny.
-Truck or buggy?
-On or off-road? (Actually, we'll probably get both. Any favorites come to mind?)

At present, I'm thinking Losi 22. (anybody know when they'll start shipping those?) It looks pretty incredible, but honestly that's about as far as we've gotten. Oh, and we plan to build. No RTRs.And maybe an onroad car later.

Any suggestions on motors? Batteries?

Basically any advice for a guy starting over after walking out of a time machine in 2011 from the year 1997, when I sold it all at a garage sale.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Default RE: Advice for a (sort of) newbie?

There are lots of awesome rc cars. Its amazing how much cheaper this hobby has become.

Rc's that come to my mind are E-Revo, Savage Flux, Losi 8ight with a conversion kit and many more.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWGD0**&P=ML]E-Revo[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXABLW**&P=ML]Savage Flux[/link]
[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0084]8ight[/link]

(these are not the cheapest you can find these cars.. Just an example.

Lipos and Lipo chargers are not expensive if you buy overseas. Good sites for lipos, chargers and brushless motors are listed below. Just remember there is virtually no customer support so if you get burned with a DOA pack or whatever dont be surprised if you cant get a refund.. Price point is your warranty

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp]Hobby King[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/]HobbyPartz[/link]

Hope I helped!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 AM
cooldriver385

I think the Savage Flux HP would be better than the one mentioned.[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZJE2&P=ML]Savage Flux HP[/link]

But since you want a kit, check out [link=http://ofna.com/kits.php]Ofna.com[/link]
For buggies. check out the Hyper 9e or NEXX 8. I hear they are pretty sweet. Especially the Hyper, that series has been around for awhile.

You can also check out [link=http://teamassociated.com/]TeamAssociated.com[/link]

If your not on a tight budget, then check out these for power systems:
[link=http://www.castlecreations.com/]Castle Creations[/link]
[link=http://www.teamnovak.com/]Team Novak[/link]
[link=http://www.teamtekin.com/]Team Tekin[/link]

If you are on a tight budget check out these for power systems, cheap radio systems, servos, lipos, and chargers:
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/]HobbyPartz.com[/link]
[link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp]HobbyKing.com[/link]

Check out these for radio systems:
[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/]Futaba[/link]
[link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/]Spektrum[/link] which also has good servos too.

Check these out for servos:
[link=http://www.jrradios.com/]JR[/link] Which also happens to have radios.
[link=http://www.hitecrcd.com/]Hitech[/link] Which looks like they also have a bunch of other stuff as well.

Take plenty of time to think, then let us know what you want. There is far more options than what I'm telling you, so browse thoroughly.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were to start out all over again I would go nitro. I know brushless is faster, but from my own experience, it's a damn sight simpler to get a nitro going. Cheaper, too. If you're not racing, you don't need the e-peen that comes from having a brushless car that will outrun anything nitro, so unless you want nitro performance and live somewhere where the neighbors QQ about the noise, no reason not to go glow.

Cars I would choose....For on-road, NTC3+. Perhaps an RS4 3, since the current ones are pretty damn scale looking and shaft drive as well. For off road, MGT 3.0, perhaps a Savage or a Slayer.

Now, I know people are gonna come in here and be all "BUT D00D, I HAD XXX NITRO AND IT WAS A PILE OF..". Listen, I've been there. I bought a CEN when I could have bought an original Savage 25. Now, that CEN did treat me well and I got six years of lulz out of it, but it was hardly what I'd call noob friendly. The engine was a pile of, the gearbox was a weak link(And I found this out pretty quick once I ditched the OEM engine and went with an OS .18 CV-RX []), and it handled pretty badly. Honestly, if it hadn't been for me already being a gearhead to begin with, it would have chased me over to electrics.

You get one of these nitros and you will have a hassle. But if you get one from a major manufacturer, such as Traxxas, Associated, HPI, etc etc, then you won't have any problems. A good engine starts easily, it holds a tune well, it idles well, it never overheats, and it runs flawlessly every time you go outside. My OS engine does, but the CEN engine did not.

Even if it does go all stupid and decide to be a pile of, they have warranties. They have 1-800 lines. They have excellent parts support. The manuals are way better. They're built better to begin with. They're held together with allen head screws, not those #*%^)^(%( phillips screws the CEN was held together with.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
cooldriver385

First off, what's so bad about phillips instead of hexes? And, he said he really doesn't wanna go nitro. Do what you wanna do. Electric is faster, quieter, and not really any maintenance. Nitro has that sweet sound of an engine revving up, but is slower. After driving my Stampede VXL, my Jato felt underpowered. Decide what you wanna do, then jump right on it.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

First off, what's so bad about phillips instead of hexes?

They strip out so easily it's laughable. That's what's so bad about 'em.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
sloppyG

ok so far, most of the suggestions for a kit have been RTR's

if he wants a kit,

SC10/B4/T4/b44
losi 22

unfortunately you won't see any good monster truck kits
Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/8 nitro buggies, preferably OFNA- fast, versatile, durable
1/10 monster trucks- nitro, such as T-Maxx, run anywhere fun.
1/18 Brushless, very small VERY VERY FAST, some get these upto 80MPH, mine does around 60 or more with outrunner power.

brushless is a new breed, and very fast, these cars must be monitored to make sure they dont grenade the trans/outdrives or over-heat, they are best run with lipo's which can be inexpensive at places like hobbypartz. the best thing with brushless is there are no comms, brushes or break in, and are more efficient. also, most ESC's are fully programmable and offer timing, volt cutoff, start up, brake/reverse options and more.

i still enjoy nitro, and bigger models are always more fun with them, 1/8 buggies are pure performance and the engines powering them can be in excess of 2.5hp and 40,000 RPM they are also the toughest things ive ever owned.

if you just want to play around, 1/10 monster trucks like the T-maxx and others are for you, i still like nitro in this criteria.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

You absolutely sure about that?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:04 AM
DiffSmoker

Thanks for all the great replies. So here's what I'm looking at at the moment.

Although the look and "bubba factor" of the Traxxas Stampede VXL almost kills me, the pricepoint and reviews are making going with either Losi or Associated difficult. You've all seen them, but just in case, here's a link.http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trad14.html

But I did some looking on Craigslist and found this:

Losi xxx bk2 roller $100:
[Team Losi XXX BK2 Rear wheel drive electric 1:10 Pro Buggy in awesome condition!
B Fast Differential upgraded and amazing
like new EA3 chassis
(4) sets of rear tires with more than 80% left (clay, packed dirt, loose)
extra new pair of EA3 A arms
Extra new rear EA3 Shock tower
lots of essential screws and nuts
two bodies with tons of life left]

mamba max esc + brushless castle motor $100
hi torque Hi Tec servo $15
Airtronics 2.4 ghz radio $80
$295

B44 Roller w/ out tires $160
Mamba max esc + brushless castle motor $100
hi torque hi tec servo $15
$355

I'm very tempted to go with the Losi and the B44, but I'm concerned about durability. Control doesn't concern me; I'm pretty experienced and will probably operate the 2wd most at first, but having an exptremely fast, cheap truck that can be thrashed around is pretty tempting. I can always buy buggy bodies and paint over that godawful Traxxas transmitter 'art'work.

Please, let the appraisals and opinions fly. This guy's texting me and I've gott decide very soon. Thank you guys.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

the X SS is inferior to the X RTR
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
DiffSmoker

Anyone?... Anyone??........I gotta decide like right now...

[Quote(ing myself)]

Thanks for all the great replies. So here's what I'm looking at at the moment.

Although the look and "bubba factor" of the Traxxas Stampede VXL almost kills me, the pricepoint and reviews are making going with either Losi or Associated difficult. You've all seen them, but just in case, here's a link.http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trad14.html

But I did some looking on Craigslist and found this:

Losi xxx bk2 roller $100:

[Team Losi XXX BK2 Rear wheel drive electric 1:10 Pro Buggy in awesome condition!
B Fast Differential upgraded and amazing
like new EA3 chassis
(4) sets of rear tires with more than 80% left (clay, packed dirt, loose)
extra new pair of EA3 A arms
Extra new rear EA3 Shock tower
lots of essential screws and nuts
two bodies with tons of life left]

mamba max esc + brushless castle motor $100
hi torque Hi Tec servo $15
$295

B44 Roller w/ out tires $160
Mamba max esc + brushless castle motor $100
hi torque hi tec servo $15
$355

I'm very tempted to go with the Losi and the B44, but I'm concerned about durability. Control doesn't concern me; I'm pretty experienced and will probably operate the 2wd most at first, but having an exptremely fast, cheap truck that can be thrashed around is pretty tempting. I can always buy buggy bodies and paint over that godawful Traxxas transmitter 'art'work.

Please, let the appraisals and opinions fly. This guy's texting me and I've gotta decide very soon. Thank you guys.

HELP!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

the X SS is inferior to the X RTR
Kits are only as good as the builder. If they're assembled with ham-fistedness using a cheap AM radio and an 89.99 engine, then yes, they will be meh compared to the RTR. Use a good FM or 2.4 radio and a quality engine, assemble it with care, and it will be better than the RTR.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
DiffSmoker

Sorry to interrupt you guys. Please, by all means, continue your conversation...
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
cooldriver385

Well you're not exactly experienced if you haven't driven a car in years. And go with a new Stampede VXL.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Kits are only as good as the builder. If they're assembled with ham-fistedness using a cheap AM radio and an 89.99 engine, then yes, they will be meh compared to the RTR. Use a good FM or 2.4 radio and a quality engine, assemble it with care, and it will be better than the RTR.
Well true if you replace the motor(inferior motor to the X), tires(the Xs will last longer, and are generally considered better), and a few other things that break easier(think it comes with the HD dog bones that are notorious for snapping easily) than the X RTR I'm sure its good.
But bone stock the X beats it for the price. Even after you replace the X's radio, and steering servo.

To the OP depends what you want.
If you want to just go offroad through grass, smash into things, and don't give a damn about handling I'd get the Stampede 4X4 for $50 more than the VXL pede. The only bonus is the electronics are waterproof.
If you want something that will turn fast, has great handling, but can't go through as tall of grass the b44 is a better choice.

People will say the traxxas will be more durable, in all honesty its debatable which is stronger.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

could probably merge both your threads into 1. 
Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In one regard you answered your own question in that you mentioned an onroad car would come later. At any rate, consdier how much you feel comfortable investing into this project as that will determine if you would buy more new or used equipment. Though you can find some good deals on Craigslist and eBay, I would prefer to buy new equipment as much as possible becasue you never know what the previous owner subjected the equipment to or how hard it was used. A rolling chassis may not be such a bad deal used if you are able to see it in person and determine it's condition for yourself. Unless the price is just out of this world cheap, Iwould be cautious of used electronics again because you don't know it's past and you won't have warranty coverage for yourself.

Regarding the type of vehicle, consider the area you have available to drive it. I personally love 2WD buggies so you initial thougts of the Losi 22 are right up my alley but, if all you have is a field of plowed dirt to play in, them maybe a monster truck with large tires would work better. Do you have a favorite brand? Losi, HPI, TraxxasandAssociated are all big names, among others, and have a large aftermarket support so parts and accessories are easy to find.