Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's a good running temp for a Pro 15?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What's a good running temp for a Pro 15?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Telecaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good running temp for a Pro 15?

I've been tracking the engine temp at the base of the head with different HSN settings using an infra red digital temp gun. Within a 1/4 turn of teh HSN the temp will range from 220º to 350º under a fairly heavy load going from grass to road with a doughnut thrown in here and there.

What temp should I try to target?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:39 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: What's a good running temp for a Pro 15?

Do not try to target any specific temp, tuning to temps is a poor way to tune the engine.
Learn to tune it by performance, sound and smoke THEN check the temp.
As long as you are between 210 and 270 or so you are fine. The 350 you've been getting is too high, high enough to possably do damage to the engine.
Not matter the temps you run at be sure to put it away witth the piston at BDC.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Telecaster

ok gotcha.

Seems like for the most part I get a decent poof of smoke during the torquey acceleration but  once it speeds up a bit there's not much smoke at all. Does that sound a bit lean? I'm still discovering the little nuances to pay attention to.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
DaveG55

Have you read any of the numerous tuning guides? There's a very good set of videos on youtube from HPI on tuning that tells you exactly how to tune both HSN and LSN. Traxxas also has very good instructions on their website.
To answer your question, yes it sounds like it MIGHT be lean. But since each engine is different and I cannot be hands-on with it there's no way for me, or anyone, to say for sure.

As I said before, tune it to performance, sound and smoke then check the temp to see if you are in the 210-270 range.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Telecaster

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Have you read any of the numerous tuning guides?

I've just read the Traxxas manual for teh Nitro Sport and for the TRX Pro 15. I know how to get the factory settings and such and I've tweaked from there. This particular carb actually doesn't have a LSN, just a blank cover where it would be. Runs great though and seems to have a well defined, controllable range to work in with just the HSN. It's an old engine but I think it was only run a couple times before I got it. The entire car was clean with just a slight hint of use.

I'll look at some guides and how-to's and such to get a better grip on the visual indications and so on. I'm only two weeks into the hobby and I've learned an awful lot so far.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
rc awesome

Thats too hot for a pro .15. Sounds lean, but rember don't tune on tempature tune on how it runs.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM
DaveG55

The biggest "visual" is performance. Start at the factory settings and tweak the HSN leaner 1/16 to 1/8 turn at a time with a high speed run in between adjustments. Continue the adjustments until there is no further improvement in performance. At that point back off the last adjustment. Run for a minute or so and check the temps.
It was my understaanding that all Pro.15's had an LSN, I know my Pro.15 does. The TRX.15 did not have one. Maybe you have the TRX.15 instead of the Pro version.
In any case, tuning the LSN is similar to the HSN. Tune untill no further performance improvement and back off last adjustment. Testing involves pinching the the fuel line and timing how long it takes to die while listening to engine rpm. You can google the exact timing and things to listen for.