Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 12:59 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dilemma...

I have been re-thinking my decision to get a T-Maxx for my grandson. The wife asked me tonight, "Are you going to have a cow every time he jumps the curb with this one, like you did the last one?"

She's got a point. The kid is 7 years old; if he can't beat it up, he won't really enjoy it. And if I look like I'm going to code out when he does, even if I keep my mouth shut, he'll pick up on it and not have fun.

Soooo... this question is for you guys with multiple vehicle/brand experience. Of what's out there, which is the most durable brand? I'm looking for a nitro stadium truck that he can bash the tar out of, but won't keep me at the bench fixing it every three days. I'm not talking about running into things, etc.; I know the results of that.<G> I'm talking about running around in the grass and dirt, making some small jumps, etc.

The Rush was pretty good about this, but as the plastic in the front end wore it began to get sloppy, and the steering arms (turnbuckles?) began bending at the drop of a hat.

I know this is a rather open-ended question, but I'm ready to get something , and the more I think (and read) about it, I know he would probably screw up a T-Maxx's transmission, as well as flip it over constantly. Fitenfyr and I have discussed this at length; he has trained his kids how to drive their T-Maxx. I don't think my grandson has enough self-discipline yet. He can fly an airplane pretty well, but when he gets behind the wheel of that truck transmitter he becomes a demon...<G>

Any and all advice gratefully appreciated...

Steve
Old 04-12-2002, 01:28 AM
LSP972

Default Dilemma...

A quick perusal of The Evil Empire's site shows three candidates;

1. DuraTrax Maximum ST w/ .12 engine

2. Traxxas Nitro Sport w/.15 engine

3. Associated RC10GST Sport w/ OS .12

Engines aside, what are your opinions of the relative merits of these three? I kind of like the Associated, since it is a true kit and comes with a real engine. But the ones I've seen seem to have everything (transmission, etc.) exposed big-time...

And, of course, I'm still wide open to suggestions.

Steve
Old 04-12-2002, 03:28 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dilemma...

the GT is a strong truck, but its also quite fast! Im thinking a young kid would wreck it before a maxx.

The nitro stampede came to my mind after the Tmaxx.

I would also suggest an 1/8 scale vehicle, as the bigger they are, the beefier they make them. But again, more power= more speed too.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:13 PM
LSP972

Default Dilemma...

Thanks, John, I hear you.

I stopped in to the LHS this afternoon for some fuel line, and walked out with an RC 10GT RTR. He had a killer price on it.

Not too thrilled with the radio, but the more I looked at the truck the more I realized it is a better design than anything else I've seen. Everything is easily accessed, and in some cases much simpler. The front end is a piece of cake. Working on the Rush's front end is a major PITA. The whole chassis is just less cluttered than the Rush. I like the metal exhaust components too, although the composite set-up on the Rush has given me no trouble.

Looks like all I will really need in the way of "upgrades" is a bearing set and better steering servo. I'll plug those in as needed.

I was leaning toward the el cheapo entry-level Dura-Trax or Traxxas, but I think I got a better bargain with this one. In regards to the speed, I'll keep it sloppy rich for now so the kid (and me) can get used to it.

Now, where's that replacement frame HPI said they were sending me? Gotta re-build the Rush...

Steve
Old 04-12-2002, 09:09 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dilemma...

Youll love the truck, BUT, keep and eye on the gear mesh, theyll strip that big spur when it gets too sloppy!

Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:08 AM
LSP972

Default Dilemma...

<<...keep an eye on the gear mesh...>>

Wilco.

I'm pretty impressed so far. They give you some neat molded tools, and the manual, etc. is quite detailed; though the guy who drew the Raptor 30 manual obviously did this one too<G>. I much prefer line drawings to this "semi-photograph" effect.

I was surprised to see that the hardware is SAE; I was expecting metric. Oh, well; the tool box needed a couple of new Thorpe drivers anyway...<G>

Steve
Old 04-14-2002, 12:12 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma...

The only time a part on my RC10 GT FT broke was when the wife drove it!

I think you will have a good time with it!
Old 04-14-2002, 08:51 PM
LSP972

Default Dilemma...

Is it just me, or is the Thunder Tiger (AE) engine in this RC 10 big-time more powerful and responsive than the HPI NitroStar FE in my Rush?

I realize this AE engine has a better carburetor, but the two engines seem to be a world apart... whatever it is, this RC 10 is definitely faster and more nimble than the Rush. The kid is happy, so I'm happy

Steve
Old 04-15-2002, 01:41 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Default Dilemma...

The AE engine is middle of the line power full like it ranks up there with the traxxas pro 15 and stuff the nitro star 15 is a very underpowered engine alot of ppl who have a FE and have driven sumthing else end up switching engines pretty quick
Old 04-15-2002, 02:42 AM
CanopyFx
My Feedback: (6)

Default Dilemma...

I just got a T-MAXX and I love it. I have a big enough yard to rip it around pretty good. One of my landscape designs are some huge boluders and I ran that truck in to a few at high speeds and nothing more than a nick in the bumper. I thin it is more durable than the RC10-t that I use to have but there is also about a $150 price difference. (Dont qoute me on the price i might be off)

Thanks
joe