Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 PM
22johnq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine

what the average engine life in gallon?

i now quite a bit about tuning and i know that has alot 2 do with it i have a few cheap make engines what lasted 12 + gallon plus and i have a hpi engine what has only lasted 5 .i run my engines slights
rich ,,just a little bit boggeg from a standing start..is this good or bad

is i right for a well run engine 2 be miles ov factory settings? ...i tune by sound .and keep checking temps

only asking this because evey 1 says am doing this wrong .....i do this because it works for me...my m8s if it more than half a turn out from factory he says it will reduce engine life

<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
DaveG55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine

They are wrong, you are right.
Tune to perfromance, sound and smoke then verify with temps. As long as you're between about 220f - 270f and you are happy with the performance then you're golden.
Running a bit rich will indeed prolong engine life as long as you stay above the 220f point. Running too rich or too cold is, IMO, almost as bad for the engine as running too lean/hot.

12 gallons out of a little nitro engine is, I'd say, a bit above the average lifespan of a normal nitro engine. I'd hazard a guess that most people get between 6 - 10 gallons before the engine is too worn to use.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: engine

I tune by sound, smoke and performance. I tune for a fine, thin trail of smoke at full throttle, and a big puff of it when going from idle to full, all while the engine smoothly accelerates with nary a bog. You can have a clear idle as long as you get plenty of smoke as it accelerates. It should be able to idle as long as you want without stalling. An easy way to check the idle mixture is pinch the line, it should stay stable for 2-4 seconds before revving up and dying. If it's in that range, mine is three seconds on the nose, then you're good.

As for idle speed, I set mine as low as I can get away with. If it needs some brake applied to sit still the idle is too high. A lower idle helps cool the clutch down, it makes it much quieter if you have to talk to someone while it's running, and it gives the engine a chance to cool down if it's getting a bit warm.

The only reason I check temps at all is to ensure I'm not overheating my engine. I use the spit test, personally.

As for average life, I go by eight gallons. Anything above that is just awesome, anything below that makes me wonder what I did wrong.