Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

making a custom chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 03:45 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default making a custom chassis

While taking my car apart I decided to make a spare chassis or two out of .090 5052 aluminum sheet.I think HPI uses 6061 but its the same thickness.I'm just gonna anchor it to the plate and transfer punch the holes,drill em to the right size,and mill out the slots.I might use the CNC to cut the outside line if I can't figure out a better way...I'm gonna try to do most of it at the house.As long as I drill the holes in the exact spot...should be no problem and I'm gonna powdercoat it or sandblast some flames on it,maybe both.More pics to come
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99895_33785.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	56859  
Old 08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Rex2342

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about doing this with 3mm carbon fiber.It's easy to get the shape of the chassis but the holes is where it get kinda tricky.I thought the carbon fiber would be kick***** but someone told me not to because it won't last long and if it gets a scratch it will come apart.I think I still might try it though just to see if it will work and it beats spending alot of cash on a super chassis.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:29 PM
miserynitro
My Feedback: (8)

do the carbon fiber bit, but then get a lexan chassis protector... which would take all the scratches and save the carbon chassis.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Rex2342

I thought about using the stuff snowboarders and skiers use to protect their stuff from rocks.My Friend has an old RC10LS and it has a carbon fiber chassis and it's like 10 years old.He used the stuff I mentioned above and it seems to work great.The only thing might be the heat dissipation..The aluminum chassis dissipates heat from the engine and the carbon fiber won't do it as well.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:46 PM
miserynitro

then just put in an engine plate, to help disapate the heat...
Old 08-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Rex2342

If you put it under the engine won't it raise the COG?I guess it doesn't have to be very thick.What about a finned engine mount or maybe a water cooled head..lol.Another thing about the carbon fiber...will it handle the torque of a Nitro engine??My freinds RC10LS is electric.I have the same car but mines not running yet.I'm just worried about the carbon fiber cracking under the engine mount.It's definately going to have to be reinforced with aluminum.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:14 PM
miserynitro

it might actually lower the center of gravity, because the chassis will actually sit closer to the ground, depending on where you put the aluminum plate.

For instance look at the HPI cars, they sell a nitro Handling kit, and it goes between the chassis and all the parts, and it lowers the COG.....
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 AM
grayfox2014

i don't know how familiar you are with carbon fiber. by the way your talking u know some about the product. the formula 1 cars use it thought-out the hole chassis ( i thank)its can break but it takes a lot of betting. if u get a chance to watch a formula 1 race, or a cart race (camp car) ( they are racing in mid-ohio I'm going to go see them again :P)but back to the subject carbon fiber will put up with heat ranging 500 degrease but u want to be very careful and the can put up with a lot of stress. I'm thanking of doing the same as you guys are.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:59 AM
grayfox2014

if you try it tell me how it went and then i will give it a try. i got it we should get together and make r own companie
Old 08-08-2003, 04:17 AM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

that is a horrible idea i saw somebody selling those on e bay and thought why would anybody buy that...

it is not as rigid
it is not as rugged
it is softer and when it gets scratched will start to fray

bubbafien
Old 08-08-2003, 05:40 AM
GALAXY

I won't use carbon fiber for a chassis for that reason....just too questionable.I'm sure it will work but the durability factor is alot to think about.As far as rigidity...without the bends in the side it will flex and bounce so bad you'd hate it,and I don't know anything about bending carbon fiber so I don't know if its even possible.We also don't have a sheet of CF laying around anywhere so I'd have to order it and I'm just not that sure about machining it so I'll stick wit the trusted aluminum.
So far I got all my holes in the chassis transferred and everything else marked.Tomarrow at work I'll drill it and try to get the slots milled,it'll be next week before I can finish it with the brushed aluminum flames and powdercoat.Thanks to all that replied and suggestions are welcome...good luck if ya try the CF.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:19 AM
miserynitro

Originally posted by bubbafien
that is a horrible idea i saw somebody selling those on e bay and thought why would anybody buy that...

it is not as rigid
it is not as rugged
it is softer and when it gets scratched will start to fray

bubbafien

Hey guys.... carbon fiber is JUST THE OPPOSITE minus the fraying thing.. but if sealed properly, you are ok.

IT IS RIGID, and it is RUGGED, look at the savage TVPS if it wasn't good why the heck are hundreds of people using them there?? i haven't heard of them flexing, i hear they are WAY stronger than the aluminum stockers, and they can put up with the Extreme bashing of offroad...... so i believe your statements are wrong.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Rex2342

The rigidity of CF wouldn't be a factor with this chassis because of all the upper support of the CF upper deck on my Type SS.I don't think it would flex or bounce at all.I think i'm going to try this.Art's Hobby sells 3mm thick carbon fiber sheets that will be just big enough for the SS chassis and after putting a lexan cover or something else on the bottom I think it will work great.I'm going to order a few sheets and try this.I don't have a machine though so It will take me longer to do this with my Dremal and Roto Zip.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:15 PM
grayfox2014

miserynitro is right if u get 2mm or more likely 3mm it would work just fine

u really should read up on the stuff is amazing and for it getting scraped up i thank it would be hard too

and like i said formula 1 uses it and if it hold a 2000 pound car that has a 9' wheel base off the ground then it can hold a 5 pound car with a 9" wheel base

im going to go for it as soon as i come up with some blue prints for the chassis
Old 08-08-2003, 02:21 PM
grayfox2014

so Art's Hobby is selling CF sheets ill have to check on their prices

like i said im going to desin my own chassis insted of copying a nother
Old 08-08-2003, 02:28 PM
Rex2342

Yeah they have sheets of 3mm CF that are just big enough for a chassis but it doesn't leave much room for error.They're pretty cheap too.The 3mm is like 50$ and the 2mm is cheaper and comes in some different colors.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:40 PM
grayfox2014

what is there website
Old 08-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Rex2342

www.arts-hobby.com
Old 08-08-2003, 04:49 PM
bubbafien

well it is your decision but there is no way i would have a carbon fiber chassis on my gas powered car. the savage is the only car it works for on gas because it is on the sides and doesnt get torqued as much from side to side.
and yes it is more flexable. and the 5000 series aluminum i think is used for like marine purposes and i think it will oxidize or something .

bubbafien
Old 08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Me+RC=$$$

In my experiences with CF I've found it won't flex, just snap. I'm friends with Billy Boat (Indy car driver) and the all the body work and and most of the chassis is carbon fiber. You would be amazed at how stong it is. I mean if it can hold a car together (kinda) when it's airborn at 200 mph, it will hold the little stress a nitro car puts on it. Just my .02
Old 08-13-2003, 03:23 AM
GALAXY

had to bring back the thread....just milled out my pockets and heres a pic.

Name:	101293_33785.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	56860  
Old 08-13-2003, 03:33 AM
GALAXY

No Dremel here.....$20,000 Vertical Mill......the vice holding the plate is about $400,I have an opportunity that I take for granted sometimes.

Name:	101296_33785.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	56861  
Old 08-13-2003, 03:38 AM
otterball21

think you might do a couple custom ones? I would like one..
Old 08-13-2003, 03:52 AM
GALAXY

I might,haha....this hobby ain't cheap huh? How much ya wanna pay? Just messin w/ ya...we'll talk.If I do any more I'll probably program it on a CNC which will cut all those holes very fast and exact so it will be easier in the end.Let me powder coat it first and see what ya think......if theres a few people that want one I'll be able to do it at a pretty good cost.Theres a Candy Blue powder coat thats insanley sick....hopefully I'll have a pic soon,if not I'll scan the sample
Old 08-13-2003, 11:09 AM
miserynitro

i have a question, if i have some drawings for some chassis, how much would you charge to get them cut out? do you use Master Cam to do the programing of the machine? solid edge? Pro-E?? shoot me a price, and if you made a pair for yourself and called it even, i wouldn't mind either..... let me know man.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.