Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC for a 6 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
woody_294

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC for a 6 year old?

Hi guys, thanks for reading

I'm getting my 6 year old an RC, I have a TT01 setup for drift and he does OK with it driving on grip.

He'd like a buggy and I'm leaning towards an RC18B clone as he liked the look of the buggies the best. I'm looking at about £100 ($150) all in. Should there be others I am considering?

I've thought about a mad rat? Any scale, any buggy. I wouldn't be opposed to clones or second hand. Although I won't be purchasing until around August time.

Ideas guys? Some of you must have kids you want to bring in to your hobby!

I don't get to go to tracks near me, but we take it out around the area and there's some good off road terrain, I don't mind digging a track
Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RC for a 6 year old?

What about a Vendetta. They are 4WD and handle really well and they are also pretty fast. Also he would break an ankle when he runs it into himself.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM
TIGER76

Sounds like youve done some research already m8
Id second the madrat or royal flush etc any of the annsman range there cheap for parts and that way you can share batterys and charger too [8D]
And 1/10 size would be better than a mini for outside bashing with the TT.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TIGER76

And 1/10 size would be better than a mini for outside bashing with the TT.
You got me there
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about an old Tamiya Frog? They were recently re-released so parts aren't all that hard to come by and they come in both RTR and kit forms. I also imagine they won't be too overpowered for a young driver while still being fast enough to not bore him.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
bronx boy

look at the thunder tiger b3 clones called the pheonix also the eveder ext 2 nice cars for about 119.00 and pretty durable the rc 18 and vendetta are really not for bashing ing your yard for a six yearold . i broke my godson in on a stampede when hewas 5 just put some rpm arms on it and he will be good to go
Old 02-17-2011, 05:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Tamiya Plasma edge DF-02
There cheap, 4wd, upgradeable, and can be run in a multitude of configurations.
He gets sick of a buggy go get some ST tires, and a RC10 body and BOOM instant stadium truck.
I'd just get a 35t motor for it to keep the speeds down till you know he can control it, and upgrade him slowly.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grasshopper or hornet, help him build it. it will be an awesome bonding expeirience and he'll learn something.

</p>
Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to jump on the Tamiya wagon here. It's always a great experience to build an RC with your kid and Tamiya's are some fo the most fun to build kits out there.

The Grasshopper, Hornet and Lunchbox are all super simple to build and tough little cars. If you want something a little more upscale they have various kits for that as well.

J
Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 AM
JBOT12

got to agree with u there mate. tamiya are a real good make and every one has said the plasma edge is a great car. i wouldnt go for the frog its to old and the new ones like the plasma edge have new chassis and suspension. go plasma edge. if ur thinking of going ansmann thge royal flash is suppost to be good. also the re release of the lunchbox looks good
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Tamiya Plasma edge DF-02
There cheap, 4wd, upgradeable, and can be run in a multitude of configurations.
He gets sick of a buggy go get some ST tires, and a RC10 body and BOOM instant stadium truck.
I'd just get a 35t motor for it to keep the speeds down till you know he can control it, and upgrade him slowly.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
ramp4ge

grasshopper or hornet, help him build it. it will be an awesome bonding expeirience and he'll learn something
This.

And make it a Frog. The Frog is just a great buggy. And crazy-looking enough that most younger kids can appreciate it's good looks.

A Blackfoot would be a good choice too. What kid doesn't love a monster truck?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:34 PM
john01374

ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

grasshopper or hornet, help him build it. it will be an awesome bonding expeirience and he'll learn something
This.

And make it a Frog. The Frog is just a great buggy. And crazy-looking enough that most younger kids can appreciate it's good looks.

A Blackfoot would be a good choice too. What kid doesn't love a monster truck?
Yeah.. Forgot about the Frog.. Great car. I'll second that suggestion. Got one word for ya when build the front suspension. Loctite.. Use the blue stuff on every metal to metal screw.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
woody_294

Thanks for all the replies guys

I think the general consensus is a Tamiya, lol. I did enjoy building my TT01E and my boy enjoyed watching me make it so that is a good point

So we have...

Grasshopper, Frog, Hornet, Plasma Edge. Mad rat from Ansmann. All buggies?

Blackfoot and Lunchbox I think are monster trucks !? I DO like monster trucks.

I like the idea of the DF-02 Plasma. Are the Gravel Hound and Rising Storm the same just a shell change? Can you stick a car shell on it like I think I've seen done on the the DF-03(Ra)?

Sorry if I missed anything and thanks again
Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM
john01374

I know this is getting away from the Tamiya kits but since you mentioned monster trucks you might want to consider The Traxxas Stampede. Traxxas has just released 4 licensed monster truck bodies. I know how crazy my 6 yo is about Grave digger. Just a thought.

I'd still want to build a kit with the kid but these are just another option.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM
ramp4ge

For trucks, there are a few options.

The Tamiya CC01 is always a fun, bombproof option for anyone. It looks like a real car, so your son may really like that, and they just released the CC01 with a stunning Bronco body.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAKMK&P=7

They're moderately quick in their stock trim and just fun to drive all around.

Tamiya also re-released the good ole' Stadium Blitzer.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXASTE&P=7

Based on the old Bearhawk chassis, it's pretty much indestructable. Lol
Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: woody_294

Thanks for all the replies guys

I think the general consensus is a Tamiya, lol. I did enjoy building my TT01E and my boy enjoyed watching me make it so that is a good point

So we have...

Grasshopper, Frog, Hornet, Plasma Edge. Mad rat from Ansmann. All buggies?

Blackfoot and Lunchbox I think are monster trucks !? I DO like monster trucks.

I like the idea of the DF-02 Plasma. Are the Gravel Hound and Rising Storm the same just a shell change? Can you stick a car shell on it like I think I've seen done on the the DF-03(Ra)?

Sorry if I missed anything and thanks again
Gravel hound and rising storm are diff shells (actually thing the GH is just a diff sticker sheet). For some reason tower charges $15 more (last I looked) for the GH and RS than the plasma

Think(I am not sure) the DF-03RA arms are shorter. If thats the case you could potentially just slap the DF-03 RA's arms on it(most tamiya parts are similar in size) with diff outdrives, dogbones, and axles. I run DF-03 axles, dogbones, and diff outdrives on my df-02 fine.

Stampedes a decent truck too. Might want to look at the HPI wheely king I just got one and had a blast with it the 1st day I took it out. Its main bonus is its 4wd over the pedes rwd, and costs about the same. Can't comment on its durability yet seeing I just had mine out jumping off snow banks.