Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
wolfgheist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Ihave never owned an RC car other than the cheap kind you get at walmart or radio shack. I have been looking at the Traxxas 1/10 Electric Slash 4x4 VXL Brushless RTR w/2.4Ghz Radio. I had considered a Summit, but Ithink the Slash will fit my budget ($350) and fun meter better.

Any pros/cons to this will be appreciated. My mind is made up on Traxxas and not another brand. Will run this mostly off road, but also occasionaly on the street.

Ialso would not mind buying a used one, so any tips on where to look for one, and things to look for would also be appreciated. Also is there is perhaps a forum better suited for this post elsewhere?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

I think your better off buying new for your first rig.  You run a risk of getting junk when you buy used, and if your new to the hobby...wont really know its junk until its too late.  The Slash VXL is a good vehicle.  Very fast with the right batteries....read up on Lipo safety to learn how to use/store/charge these batteries.

You should be happy with the Slash....its one of Traxxas's best vehicles.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uhh....Is there any particular reason why you're dead set on a Traxxas as opposed to something from the likes of AE or HPI? Because TRX is the lowest common denominator of highly recognizable brands. You'll get a far more reliable product from the likes of HPI, AE, Losi, etc etc.

Aside from that, and this goes for any electric, make sure you charge your batteries right. Lipos are known to explode if you don't treat them right, and it's well advised to charge them in a fireproof container of some sort in case they get damaged in use or something.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM
wolfgheist

@378 I guess the same reason some folks like Chevy and some like Ford. Ijust like everything about them. Reviews, YouTube Videos, looks etc...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
wolfgheist

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

I think your better off buying new for your first rig. You run a risk of getting junk when you buy used, and if your new to the hobby...wont really know its junk until its too late. The Slash VXL is a good vehicle. Very fast with the right batteries....read up on Lipo safety to learn how to use/store/charge these batteries.

You should be happy with the Slash....its one of Traxxas's best vehicles.
Any suggestions on where to purchase for the best price?

Any pros/cons on the 2WD vs 4WD choice?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2wd, wheelies and less parts that can break.
4wd, more traction, more control.

and for newbs, buy new. its worth it. dont buy used until you have some wrench-time under you belt. otherwise you may end up with another's headaches and not know how to fix it. trust me, as a newb i bought used....did not work well for me.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: wolfgheist

@378 I guess the same reason some folks like Chevy and some like Ford. I just like everything about them. Reviews, YouTube Videos, looks etc...
Ahh, so it's an irrational brand loyalty then. I suppose you'll get a month's use out of a used Slash 4x4 until that brand loyalty falls apart because the previous guy beat the living hell out of it and never maintained it. Buy a new one or I have a feeling you'll be on first-name basis with the LHS clerk within a month. It's not like Traxxas products are terribly expensive...well their electric ones anyways...

It's kinda like my friend who bought a used Tmaxx. He's had to change four control arms, a shock tower, install an FOC kit, and is pondering murdering the 3.3 and getting an OS engine, and he hasn't even put a quart of fuel through it yet. Not only that but the alignment is off because the RPM arms are a few millimeters longer than the factory ones and the EZ-Start needs to be hooked up to a car battery if you want to get the engine started on a different brand of fuel. When the Maxx is running it is fun to drive, but I think I've spent more time adjusting his carb in just one session than I have my own carbs over six years, and all because we decided to use my fuel instead of the stuff he got with the truck.

Oh, and as for 2WD VS 4WD, decide where you're going to run. If you plan on racing it doesn't matter much, but if you plan on bashing your surface of choice will dictate which is better. I prefer 4WD because I run in mud and snow a lot, and with a 2WD you're just begging to get stuck.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
wolfgheist

ORIGINAL: 378

@378 I guess the same reason some folks like Chevy and some like Ford. Ijust like everything about them. Reviews, YouTube Videos, looks etc...
Ahh, so it's an irrational brand loyalty then. I suppose you'll get a month's use out of a used Slash 4x4 until that brand loyalty falls apart because the previous guy beat the living hell out of it and never maintained it. Buy a new one or I have a feeling you'll be on first-name basis with the LHS clerk within a month. It's not like Traxxas products are terribly expensive...well their electric ones anyways...

It's kinda like my friend who bought a used Tmaxx. He's had to change four control arms, a shock tower, install an FOC kit, and is pondering murdering the 3.3 and getting an OS engine, and he hasn't even put a quart of fuel through it yet. Not only that but the alignment is off because the RPM arms are a few millimeters longer than the factory ones and the EZ-Start needs to be hooked up to a car battery if you want to get the engine started on a different brand of fuel. When the Maxx is running it is fun to drive, but I think I've spent more time adjusting his carb in just one session than I have my own carbs over six years, and all because we decided to use my fuel instead of the stuff he got with the truck.

Oh, and as for 2WD VS 4WD, decide where you're going to run. If you plan on racing it doesn't matter much, but if you plan on bashing your surface of choice will dictate which is better. I prefer 4WD because I run in mud and snow a lot, and with a 2WD you're just begging to get stuck.
Hehe, Ithink Ihave been convinced to buy New, now Ijust need the least expensive place to buy it.

What model of the other brands would be comparable to the Traxxas I want to get? Ithink I will go 4x4 as I do want to run it through the creek in the field as well as mud and snow.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
sloppyG

you dont' run RC's in water or snow unless you want to ruin them

"waterproof" or not, RC's are not waterproof (unless it's a boat, and you don't flip it over)
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: 378

Hehe, Ithink Ihave been convinced to buy New, now Ijust need the least expensive place to buy it.

What model of the other brands would be comparable to the Traxxas I want to get? Ithink I will go 4x4 as I do want to run it through the creek in the field as well as mud and snow.
Almost every manufacturer makes a Short course truck. They are a popular racing class. HPI's Blitz would probably be the closest to the Slash in terms of size/price/options, however its only 2WD. If you want Traxxas, get a Traxxas....there are better manufacturers out there, but there are also much much worse.....Check Towerhobbies, amainhobbies, stormerhobbies, and ebay for prices.....they are all going to be similar in price...but look for specials and such.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM

What model of the other brands would be comparable to the Traxxas I want to get? I think I will go 4x4 as I do want to run it through the creek in the field as well as mud and snow.

HPI Blitz, Associated SC10(Which is available in 2WD and 4WD), Losi XXX-SC. That's just off the top of me head, there's probably others.

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

you dont' run RC's in water or snow unless you want to ruin them
Incorrect. With the right maintenance you can run your RCs in water and snow. You have to, before running, ensure the electronics are protected. If you're running nitro you also want to make sure water can't get into the engine easily. Brushed electric motors will operate fine submerged, it will not harm them. May even help them run better. After you run you need to clean the water and dirt out of the bearings and re-lube them. Every single bearing. Even the ones in the electric motor. You don't need to clean a nitro engine's bearings, though, as A: The front bearing is sealed and B: The oil in the fuel handles that while it runs.

I've been running in mud, snow and wet conditions for six years now and I've never had any problems because I do the maintenance.

Edit: I take that back. I did kill one Futaba S3003 servo. But that was because I forgot to seal it before sending my TC3 into my snowy driveway for some sick drift action and some donuts. The only part of the car that wasn't completely snowed in was the engine and exhaust, and that's only because they made their own heat.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never owned an RC car other than the cheap kind you get at walmart or radio shack. I have been looking at the Traxxas 1/10 Electric Slash 4x4 VXL Brushless RTR w/2.4Ghz Radio. I had considered a Summit, but I think the Slash will fit my budget ($350) and fun meter better.

Any pros/cons to this will be appreciated. My mind is made up on Traxxas and not another brand. Will run this mostly off road, but also occasionaly on the street.

I also would not mind buying a used one, so any tips on where to look for one, and things to look for would also be appreciated. Also is there is perhaps a forum better suited for this post elsewhere?

Thanks in Advance. [img][/img]
If you want to run in snow, creeks and other rough places then 4x4 is almost mandatory. 2WD have less parts and are much cheaper and easier to work on but 4WD will handle a little better and be more fun in the rough stuff. I'd also say that new is what you'll want since you are just getting started and you don't want to start dealing with other peoples headaches just yet.

As for the specific trucks I'd say you're choices are E-Revo or E-Maxx if you want a large truck. Slash or Pede 4x4 if you want a smaller 1/10 scale. In all honesty all 4 of these trucks will server you well but I will mention that I have had a awful lot of problems with every E-Maxx I've owned so If you want a large truck I'd recommend the E-Revo but that's personal preference.

As for where to buy.. You'll want to sign up to be a member at Tower Hobbies then weight for the coupon to get $60 off you purchase. They also give you a couple of months of free mags, Free shipping etc. it's worth the price. When it's time for batteries you should check out Hobby King and look at the Turnigy 2S 5200 LiPo's and chargers.

SloppyG wrote: you dont' run RC's in water or snow unless you want to ruin them
I don't completely agree with this statement but there is some truth here. You can run your RC cars through snow, ices, water, creeks etc. I personally jumped one of my 2WD slashs into a pool about a dozen times after it accidentally slid off the deck. What you need to remember is that a complete cleaning is required afterward. You honestly have to tear the truck down and clean all the grim and junk off of it. If it's a brushed motor you need to pull the motor and clean that as well then re-lube every bearing, pivot ball, hinge and any other metal parts on the truck to prevent rust.

I personally love this time of year as I fix RC's for people and every year I get 40 or 50 trucks that simply need new bearings, motors, ESC's etc because someone ran them in the snow and just put them away wet. I've seen a titan motor with so much dirt in it that it wouldn't spin. 10 mins of cleaning and lube and it was running good as new.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM
sloppyG

c'mon 378

do you think the kind of RC user that is impressed by the water videos traxxas makes has the know how to even have a chance at properly maintaining a waterlogged RC?

these are new people to the hobby that generally have trouble changing an a-arm, or setting a pinion/spur mesh..... they're not going to know about changing/lubricating bearings, and they're not going to ask because traxxas says they're "waterproof"
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
ramp4ge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2wd Slash would be a great starter car. Low parts count, huge aftermarket compatibility, and you can walk into ANY hobby shop and they will have a wall full of Traxxas parts. The Slash shares a lot of components with vehicles that have been in the Traxxas lineup for many, many years, so parts are very easy to come by.

But personally, I think you'd be better off starting with a kit..

RTRs are nice, but they don't really teach you anything. You pull it out of a box, throw it on teh ground, drive it. The hobby is about more then that. When you build your first car, you know how to fix it when you break it..

I'd recommend one of the Tamiya kits..You build it, you paint it, it's yours..
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

It's like buying a real car, you can buy a Kia or Hunda real cheep not always the best option, or you can go buy a Chevy Ford or Dodge you can't go wrong!!!!!!!
Associated, Losi, Hpi, all good brands, top of the line Traxxas lower down on the list. The Associated and Losi are top of the line, excelent tceh support, setups,ect,
they have been developed by the best so they will be a little pricey, but with proper care they will last twice as long as Traxxas.
Your parts for Associated,Losi, or Hpi are more durable, less likely to break all three are relitavely easy to work on. You will enjoy the hobby more if your truck is not alwals broken or you having a problem, and you won't have wasted your money.
Its kinda funny how 378 said you will be at your LHS all of the time. I was at Hobby Town just yesterday and a mother was there with her son and his BROKEN Traxxas Slash
and talking about how many times it has broken and always having to buy somthing for it, Traxxas is good for the hobby shops......
So make sure you get a quality R/C what ever you do, Associated, Losi, Hpi, Ofna, all good quality...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM

c'mon 378

do you think the kind of RC user that is impressed by the water videos traxxas makes has the know how to even have a chance at properly maintaining a waterlogged RC?

these are new people to the hobby that generally have trouble changing an a-arm, or setting a pinion/spur mesh..... they're not going to know about changing/lubricating bearings, and they're not going to ask because traxxas says they're ''waterproof''
He's here. That means he's open to the idea of fixing and maintaining it himself. If he was the type of owner you're describing he'd be over at the Traxxas forums already.

If I'm honest the water videos impress me too, and I'm hardly the type of person who neglects their cars. I would opt for a Velineon system in any electric I get since I wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing the speed controller.
ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

RTRs are nice, but they don't really teach you anything. You pull it out of a box, throw it on teh ground, drive it. The hobby is about more then that. When you build your first car, you know how to fix it when you break it..
I beg to differ. I started out in RTRs, yet I know every nut and bolt on all of my RCs. Buying an RTR is no guarantee that the owner will be helpless if it breaks.

Besides, if you want to go the kit route, you run into the problem of "Holy hell this gets expensive". An RTR RC10GT costs only 300 bucks at Tower(And probably less if I go elsewhere), and would serve me well right out of the box, but if I were to get the kit with my choice of parts I'd be looking at the same price as an RTR SC8.

I'd recommend one of the Tamiya kits..You build it, you paint it, it's yours..
OP is looking at short course trucks. While I agree that Tamiya kits are excellent, they don't have any short course trucks on offer.
ORIGINAL: schuttman

It's like buying a real car, you can buy a Kia or Hunda real cheep not always the best option, or you can go buy a Chevy Ford or Dodge you can't go wrong!!!!!!!
You'll go farther in a Kia than you will in a Dodge if the experience with the four I've had the displeasure of dealing with is anything to go by. But that's another thread entirely.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM
wolfgheist

c'mon 378

these are new people to the hobby that generally have trouble changing an a-arm, or setting a pinion/spur mesh..... they're not going to know about changing/lubricating bearings, and they're not going to ask because traxxas says they're "waterproof"
I would of course research what I purchase and learn how to disassemble it, reassemble it, clean it etc... just like Ido my Jet Ski and Firearms.

Idid not watch the Traxxas water videos, just the ones on YouTube that regular folks posted.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
ramp4ge

Actually the OP said he was looking for something to use offroad and onroad, and had considered both a Slash and a Summit. That doesn't close the door to SC trucks only, as there are plenty of Tamiya 4wd buggies that will outperform most of the SC trucks out there..

Besides, if you want to go the kit route, you run into the problem of "Holy hell this gets expensive". An RTR RC10GT costs only 300 bucks at Tower(And probably less if I go elsewhere), and would serve me well right out of the box, but if I were to get the kit with my choice of parts I'd be looking at the same price as an RTR SC8.
Only if you're not smart about it..

Let's take the SC10 4x4 Team, when it finally hits shelves.

$269.97 for the kit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...x4++&search=Go

$119.94, Castle Sidewinder SC.

$47.99, Basic 2-channel Futaba w/1 servo.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXASX2**&P=ML

$437.90 out the door.

You could even add in a battery and charger and still be under $500.00..

That's not a whole lot more then the Slash 4x4 and you're getting a better vehicle with better components. And the experience of building it yourself.

I've known so many people that tried to get into RC and the first time they broke something, the "Man this is stupid.." mentality set in and it went in a closet. Because they didn't know how to troubleshoot, they didn't know how to repair. When you build the kit yourself, you know what goes where, and you know the mechanics of the vehicle.

Yeah, building a kit is more expensive. It's worth it.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
john01374

ORIGINAL: schuttman

That is about the funnest statement I have seen in years. You buy the Chevy, ford or Dodge. I'll take the Kia or Hyundai or even better yet Toyota or Honda and we'll compare notes at 200,000 miles.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM
john01374

Wolf - I sent you a PM
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM

$269.97 for the kit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXASX2**&P=ML

$437.90 out the door.

That's not a whole lot more then the Slash 4x4 and you're getting a better vehicle with better components. And the experience of building it yourself.

I've known so many people that tried to get into RC and the first time they broke something, the ''Man this is stupid..'' mentality set in and it went in a closet. Because they didn't know how to troubleshoot, they didn't know how to repair. When you build the kit yourself, you know what goes where, and you know the mechanics of the vehicle.

Okay, let me just quote the RC10GT kit I spec'd out on RCZone...

Okay...Let's see how much I would spend on an RC10GT2...oh, hey, there's an RTR with a pull start engine for 299.99. I'd just get that and call it a day. But if I were dead set on the kit, here's what I'd buy:

The truck, obviously, at 270
Side-exhaust pull start manifold, 12 bucks
This clutch nut, for 5 bucks
This engine, for 150
These $6 motor mounts, since apparently the GT2 uses NTC3 motor mounts
This radio, for 100

Hrm...560. Still way more than I'd spend for a 2WD stadium truck.

If I'm getting myself a kit I'm not going to load it up with crappier stuff than the RTR has in the name of bringing the price down. If I'm going to buy a kit it's going to be built my way to my specs, otherwise it defeats the purpose of getting the kit in the first place. Would that RC10GT kit be worth it? I doubt so, for the money I could have gotten something four wheel drive. SC8. MGT 4.6. Hell maybe even an MGT 8.0. And it's not like the kit would be any more reliable, as we both know AE's engines and electronics are superb.

Oh, and you're still pressing the same point I countered earlier, which was that all RTRs ever do is instill laziness in their owners. I've been doing this for six years and never once have I sat there going "Hrm, it won't start. I know, I should take it to a hobby shop!". Nope. I figured it out and got it started on my own.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
wolfgheist

Actually the OP said he was looking for something to use offroad and onroad, and had considered both a Slash and a Summit. That doesn't close the door to SC trucks only, as there are plenty of Tamiya 4wd buggies that will outperform most of the SC trucks out there..

$269.97 for the kit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&search=Go

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&search=Go

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SX2**&P=ML

$437.90 out the door.

I've known so many people that tried to get into RC and the first time they broke something, the "Man this is stupid.." mentality set in and it went in a closet. Because they didn't know how to troubleshoot, they didn't know how to repair. When you build the kit yourself, you know what goes where, and you know the mechanics of the vehicle.

Sadly my budget for this is $350.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
ramp4ge

I'll take the Kia or Hyundai or even better yet Toyota or Honda and we'll compare notes at 200,000 miles.
'85 Honda CRX, 200k miles, never had a major maintenance, still holding factory-spec compression in all 4 cylinders.

There are very few domestics I'd actually buy, and I wouldn't buy any of them for daily-driving reliability. Lol.

/thread hijack.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

I'll take the Kia or Hyundai or even better yet Toyota or Honda and we'll compare notes at 200,000 miles.
'85 Honda CRX, 200k miles, never had a major maintenance, still holding factory-spec compression in all 4 cylinders.

There are very few domestics I'd actually buy, and I wouldn't buy any of them for daily-driving reliability. Lol.

/thread hijack.

'85 Ford F150 4.9L. 275,000 miles. Never been rebuilt and I'd trust it to get me through Baghdad.

Now what was that you were saying about domestic reliability?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
ramp4ge

If I'm getting myself a kit I'm not going to load it up with crappier stuff than the RTR has in the name of bringing the price down. If I'm going to buy a kit it's going to be built my way to my specs, otherwise it defeats the purpose of getting the kit in the first place. Would that RC10GT kit be worth it? I doubt so, for the money I could have gotten something four wheel drive. SC8. MGT 4.6. Hell maybe even an MGT 8.0. And it's not like the kit would be any more reliable, as we both know AE's engines and electronics are superb.
Crappier stuff then the RTR? Since when is a Castle Sidewinder sub-par to a VXL? Since when is a Futaba radio sub-par to the cheesy TQ system the Traxxas vehicles come with? Hell I'd rather run a 27MHz Futaba over a TQ 2.4GHz, and I own a lot of TQ pistols..

As for AE's electronics and engines, they're even cheesier then Traxxas. I ditched both my RC10GT RTR's and my MGT's radios as soon as I opened the box. The engines are Thundertigers and out of all of them, only the MGT's .28 is worth anything. My RC10GT's conrod broke idling during break-in..

Yes, a kit is more expensive then an RTR. Nobody's going to dispute that. But the cost difference generally isn't gigantic, and you always end up with higher quality parts. You don't have to go nuts with it, but even basic equipment will often outperform the gear that comes with most RTRs. I own 3 VXL systems in 3 different vehicles, and my $119.00 Castle outperforms them easily..

Is the Slash 4x4 a bad truck? Absolutely not. It's a great truck. And if the buyer is mechanically inclined, then it will serve him/her well. However, building the kit is part of the experience. A big part of the experience..

Just out of curiousity, OP, have you considered something like an SCX10? They're actually really neat chassis', they can be moderately fast, and they'll go over anything..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAWKR&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVSV&P=ML

'85 Ford F150 4.9L. 275,000 miles. Never been rebuilt and I'd trust it to get me through Baghdad.

Now what was that you were saying about domestic reliability?
'98 Ford Contour GL. 102k highway miles. Dead.
'05 Trailblazer EXT. 60k highway miles. List of "Service bulletins" as long as my arm totaling $4,000.. Slow-start issue dealer can't resolve. Was in the shop 27 times in the first 3 years for warranty repairs.

Just my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.