Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Recognize this Old Timer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 04:23 AM
fbret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recognize this Old Timer?

Hi,
a few years ago, I was given this Old Timer. No info on it, no engine. Now, I want to get my 11yr old involved... perfect platform!

Here are the specs:
- 50in wingspan
- 425 sq in
- 33 oz

I gave it the following combination:
- Trinity Quartz 19T
- Master Airscrew 2.5:1 Gearbox
- 9 x 6
- Electrifly C-20 ESC
- 6 x 800AR
- 2 micro servos
- standard receiver

Thanks to motocalc, the power combination is perfect! Slow plane fine for a beginner, but enough power to recover from a mistake.

Here are the problems I need your help with:
- full throttle requires full down trim. idle require little up trim. I believe I have enough down thrust (see picture), so CG might be too far back (?).
- Rudder needs to go full range to actually turn. I am now limited by the elevator getting in the way.

So the questions I have for you:
- Do you recognize this model? Seems to be plan / scratch built
- Where does the CG need to be? I have it at ~30%
- What down thrust should I have?
- How do I solve the rudder issue? More rudder surface?

I the current state, I can't give my son the controls... to his biggest disappointment!

Thanks

-Fred

Old 08-12-2003, 09:15 PM
SoarNeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recognize this Old Timer?

Easy...that's a Buzzard Bombshell if I've ever seen one (and I've built one, so I should know). Kitted right now by Spirit of Yesteryear up here in Canada. I'll see if I can dig the plans out when I get home, but remind me if I forget.

If it recovers sharply from a dive with the power at 1/4-1/5, it's likely nose heavy. If it tucks, it's tail heavy/ Once you're happy with that setting, keep adding downthrust until it no longer climbs with throttle.

The model is responsive in its stock form, so I'd suspect that your balance issues are causing the lack of controllability.