Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Bad motor or ESC or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
dirtyrican987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad motor or ESC or what?

backround:
hpi sprint 2 drift (rtr)
Gm Racing V12 ESC
HPI driftmeister 13T motor

After playing with the car for maybe 5-10 minutes it will stop moving... the wheels still turn fine and everything but the car wont go forwards or backwards. the ESC led lights up at nuetral Full throttle and Full Reverse as it should and shuts off in between, but nothing.

Nothing is hot like its over heating.. it just stops.. sometimes it comes back to life after a minute or a push or something random. i pulled the motor it turns like it has since the day i got it ( it is used but in good condition)

im lost.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM
dirtyrican987

Default RE: Bad motor or ESC or what?

anyone?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: dirtyrican987

backround:
hpi sprint 2 drift (rtr)
Gm Racing V12 ESC
HPI driftmeister 13T motor

After playing with the car for maybe 5-10 minutes it will stop moving... the wheels still turn fine and everything but the car wont go forwards or backwards. the ESC led lights up at nuetral Full throttle and Full Reverse as it should and shuts off in between, but nothing.

Nothing is hot like its over heating.. it just stops.. sometimes it comes back to life after a minute or a push or something random. i pulled the motor it turns like it has since the day i got it ( it is used but in good condition)

im lost.
<br type=''_moz'' />
So it will begin working again if you give it a push? Sounds like it may be a problem with the motor brushes.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM
dirtyrican987

sometiems when i give it a push itll start going again,.. but others not.. thats why im not sure if its the motor or esc
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Moontan13

Measure the voltageon the motor leads when it's refusing to move. If you have power, it's the motor, no power, then it's the esc.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM
alexchen86

If you don't have a volt meter handy...try swapping a different motor to see if it's a burnt out. If your ESC is still lighting up as it should then that's not the problem. Chances are it sounds like a motor almost dead. I've had that happen to me before several times with those cheap silver can Tamiya motors I blast around on 3S with lol. I'd give my rig a kick and then the motor works again.

They'd actually smoke out...then I'd clean them out with motor spray...relube the bearings and off I go again. I have so many of those from kit builds laying around it doesn't matter for me. Those silver cans sure can take a beating!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
warnos16v

is the motor hot when it does this? is the speedie hot..

if so you might need to change the gearing..
Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check all motor connections, a bad soldering job can be to blame. It happened to me, i did a weak soldering job and covered the bullet plugs with the shrink tubes but i yanked it a bit to hard so i unknowingly put it in my car and the esc would work but not the motor, so i removed the shrink tubes and one of the connections will come off every time i accelerated.