Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Dead 2S Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead 2S Lipo?

I got a used Venom 5000mah 2S removed from the hard plastic case free that came with a FT TC3.

However whenever I charge it...it will never reach its peak even after 10-12 hours. I have to give it a quick boost charge in NiMH mode first in order for me to balance and charge at the same time (I use a Hyperion EOS0606i)

The cells are not puffy or punctured. I'm thinking the previous owner probably ran the pack without LVC on. Am I right to assume this?

It will not hold any voltage if left sitting more than a few days.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Horsemen911

Default RE: Dead 2S Lipo?

I'd throw that battery as far away as I could before it bursts into a fireball. Why would you charge a Lipo in Nimh mode and why would you leave a Lipo on charge for days? Your just asking to burn your residence down.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
electricrc68
Banned

that was not the smartest thing i have heard. its things like this that get things burnt down, and when people hear it they decide to not go lipo because of a stupid decision.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
esavagenoobie

surprised your house isnt burned down yet...
Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

I doubt it is a looming death trap as the others have stated. However, it is obviously not in good shape, and probably should be properly disposed of.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

I doubt it is a looming death trap as the others have stated. However, it is obviously not in good shape, and probably should be properly disposed of.
if you read most posts where people lost their houses, or they explode. Those people did pretty much what he did.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

if you read most posts where people lost their houses, or they explode. Those people did pretty much what he did.
+1
when you use your stupid side around lipos, you are going to pay some serious consequences. thats why when i get my lipos, im going to be as smart as i can with them.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Is the charger that you have enable you to charge lipo batterys?

I have an Electricfly Triton EQ which does.

The instructions clearly state that you can irreversibly damage that lipo trying to charge it in NiMH mode.

You just trashed a probable good lipo and wasted 60-70 dollars.

Please - DO NOT BE CHEAP when running lipo and BL combos. Ignore this, and you will simply destroy your electrics.

No offense, but I think you need to either save up your pennies or do more research.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

Is the charger that you have enable you to charge lipo batterys?

I have an Electricfly Triton EQ which does.

The instructions clearly state that you can irreversibly damage that lipo trying to charge it in NiMH mode.

You just trashed a probable good lipo and wasted 60-70 dollars.

Please - DO NOT BE CHEAP when running lipo and BL combos. Ignore this, and you will simply destroy your electrics.

No offense, but I think you need to either save up your pennies or do more research.
technically he didn't waste anything seeing he got it free with a used RC, and it was a hardcase removed from its casing.
Only thing he really risked doing was hurting himself or property.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Proper disposal is two full measured cups of salt, completely dissolved in one gallon of water. Submerge the battery for 24hrs. Test it against a volt meter; it should read below 0.5 volts. If not, soak it in the salt water for another day, and re-check the voltage. After it reaches under 0.5 volts, it is completely safe to throw away in the normal trash.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

technically he didn't waste anything seeing he got it free with a used RC, and it was a hardcase removed from its casing.
That was his first mistake right there, removing the cells from that case . . . .

Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

That was his first mistake right there, removing the cells from that case . . . .

way it was worded it sounds like they were given to him removed I could be wrong.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

way it was worded it sounds like they were given to him removed I could be wrong.
If he got the battery skinned from its case, then I do not blame him for trying. However, charging a lipo on NiMH mode is certain death.

Well said sir

Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 AM
alexchen86

Lol thanks for all the quick feedback guys! It holds charge for 3-4 days and after the quick 5 amp boost for about 10 minutes it charges fine but will never reach peak.

I always charge in a lipo sack too. I just never had seen a lipo that was not puffed up bad before. But hey it was a free lipo anyway no loss for me!

And the previous owner removed the hardcasing to fit it into one of his older cars. I will definitely dispose of it ASAP...good thing nothing serious happened!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Horsemen911

ORIGINAL: alexchen86

I just never had seen a lipo that was not puffed up bad before.
You have never seen a Lipo that was not puffed up bad before? Stop charging Lipo's on Nimh setting on your charger and you may start seeing Lipo's that don't puff up.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Lol thanks for all the quick feedback guys! It holds charge for 3-4 days and after the quick 5 amp boost for about 10 minutes it charges fine but will never reach peak.

I always charge in a lipo sack too. I just never had seen a lipo that was not puffed up bad before. But hey it was a free lipo anyway no loss for me!

And the previous owner removed the hardcasing to fit it into one of his older cars. I will definitely dispose of it ASAP...good thing nothing serious happened!
Please do some more research. DONOT PEAKCHARGE lipos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep ignoring this, charging the battery on NiMH setting, and you are wasting money.

The energy in a lipo cell is highly compressed, so it requires a different charging cycle than NiMH, NiCD, or any other type. They do not need to be fully discharged; in fact the battery will die if that happens. NiMH batteries aren't designed for peak charging anyway, so I highly suggest that you do more research.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM
electricrc68
Banned

lipos
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a suggestion, cut off the connectors if they are salvagable, then dunk the pack into a buck of salted water and leave it there for several hours. Then it can be tossed out into the trash.

At least, that's what I've read, has anyone heard anything different?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does "reach it's peak" mean to the OP.

Also (if interested in diagnosing this further) Could you give us volt readings before and after "It will not hold any voltage if left sitting more than a few days."
Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
robwiljas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Horsemen911

I just never had seen a lipo that was not puffed up bad before.
You have never seen a Lipo that was not puffed up bad before? Stop charging Lipo's on Nimh setting on your charger and you may start seeing Lipo's that don't puff up.
I think he meant he has never seen a LiPo that's bad but not puffed before.

I also think he is charging it in LiPo mode, but doing it for 10 minutes in NiMh mode first to get the voltage up enough to even let it start in LiPo mode.

I've read before where people have done that to try and salvage an overly discharged LiPo. Not a good idea though lol.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Casper06

Alex it is a lesson learned I'm just glad it wasn't a horrible ending. Do as the others suggest and dispose of that LiPo ASAP. [&:]
Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 AM
alexchen86

Opps I meant to say I have never seen a dead lipo that was NOT puffed before. When you run a lipo below it's limit doesn't it usually puff up?

The pack looks perfectly fine...and yes I always charge in lipo mode with a lipo sack. Just this particular lipo required a quick voltage boost in NiMH mode before lipo mode would allow me to balance charge.

I have a few smaller mah packs for my crawlers with a little puffing but they still hold charge and run time has not been effected.

I had a 1550mah 3S swell up a little on me once (enough for me to definitely notice the difference). Then I let it sit for a few days and recharged it and it's perfectly fine now.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose that a question like whether or not a Li-Po always puffs up when it's bad is a question for a guy like Red Schoelfield,

I had the same thoughts once - I was unloading the truck and found the lipo that was starting to get puffy. Being a bit of a techy, I was tempted to 'play' with it to bring it back. Then I looked at the house, then I looked at the battery pack again...

Naaaaah, the trade-off wasn't worth it. You might get away with it, but you'll never know without a crystal ball. Try this! Ask your wife "Honey, would you rather have the house burn down, or buy me a new battery", what would her answer be?

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go spend 20 something bucks at HOBBYKING and buy yourself a new Lipo and charge/handle it correctly. That Lipo is bound to cause a problem especially charging in nimh mode, thats a no no. Get rid of that Lipo asap! Be safe!