Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rustler in the grass

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
bjfrankl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler in the grass

Hello-

I am about ready to purchase Traxxas Nitro Rustler, but I want to be sure that this vehicle will perform well in grass. I will be running this vehicle mostly on grass.

Bjfrankl
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts
Default RE: Rustler in the grass

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

Hello-

I am about ready to purchase Traxxas Nitro Rustler, but I want to be sure that this vehicle will perform well in grass. I will be running this vehicle mostly on grass.

Bjfrankl
I've had a nitro rustler for many many years.. I've found they (and most other car engines for that matter) will run hot if mainly run in grass. The taller the grass the harder it is on the engine. At the very least, give it some parking lot time in-between runs to keep the engine cool. Too much heat can be a real bad thing on a nitro engine.

Being 2 wheel drive, the N. Rusty will probably wheelie more and spin the tires a bit more than on pavement.. If you want constant traction, you might want to look at a 4wd.

(You won't want to break a new engine in in the grass - going to need a parking lot for that.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:54 AM
rc awesome

At slow speeds it will get stuck in thick grass. It'll do fine in short grass though</p>
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

At slow speeds it will get stuck in thick grass. It'll do fine in short grass though</p>
With a 3.3 and wheelie bar, mine will just wheelie through the grass.. haha. A 3.3 engine is not necessary or recommended in a Rustler IMO. I did it because I could. (it makes me giggle..)
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM
bjfrankl

I bought the electric brushed version today, but I am going to return it because I think that I will get bored with it. I haven't decided if I am going to get the nitro version yet or not.

Bjfrankl
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
sloppyG

if you're going to get bored with an XL5, you're going to get just as bored with the nitro version

neither will be much good in any grass at all
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

if you're going to get bored with an XL5, you're going to get just as bored with the nitro version

neither will be much good in any grass at all
Thats not true, IMO. The stock tires on both the electric and nitro rustlers suck.. With the right tires and gearing, they go through grass fine. If its more than a couple inches tall, it might have a little trouble.

If you're going to run mainly in grass and very little pavement or other hard surface, perhaps you might want to look into an electric 4WD. These arent as critical when it comes to operating temps as nitros are. Lots of running in grass can overheat a nitro, so thats something to consider. Either one will be fun on the right terrain.. Grass only would get boring to me without 4WD.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 PM
bjfrankl

So, if I am understanding Traxxas correctly, I am able to upgrade if I want more speed. Is this correct? The box says 35mph, but it doesn't sound like the Ruster electric (brushed version) will reach this speed without upgrades. If I would've purchased the brushless version with a better battery pack, then I would be looking at more speed/power, correct? I fly nitro airplanes, thus I am new to the rc car scene.

Bjfrankl
Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 PM
sloppyG

the rustler, both nitro and electric is a very old design and very overpriced for what you get

no stadium truck will perform well on grass unless it's been cut very short
Old 03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

my jato is marginal on grass, unless it's like a scooer field w/very, very short grass (of course).then it's great. i don't see how a rustler would be much better in not-too-short grass.... even my 4wd ten-t doesn't love longer grass, but it will slog through it. isn't this the kind of stuff 4wd monsters (and maybe not stampedes) are made for though?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

If your running in grass primarily, a 2wd stadium truck isnt what you should be after.  At the very least you want 4x4, and you ought to be looking at MT's and Truggy's...electric or nitro.  Nitro's everheating in the grass is silly IMO...if you have the engine tuned correctly it wont be an issue.

Im not saying 2wd stadium trucks can't run in the grass, but your better off looking for a setup that can thrive in the grass.  4x4/ground clearance/torque
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Ttowntoolman

If your going to run a 2wd 1/10th scale in the grass get some Moabs or some rock lizzard tires and strap them on all four corners. Works excellent!