Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

12 or 13 lb thrust & rookie or roo?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

12 or 13 lb thrust & rookie or roo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:18 AM
maverick101
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 or 13 lb thrust & rookie or roo?

Does anybody have any comments on the wren 54 or any12 0r 13 lb thrust motor in the rookie or kangaroo? Flight performance, handling characteristics??

Any info on this combo is appreciated !!!

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-11-2003, 07:48 PM
maverick101
My Feedback: (34)

Default re-post

post edited
Old 08-11-2003, 09:56 PM
klave
My Feedback: (17)

I'm no expert but I would have to say that it would fly both jet's but you would not have any power to spear in case of an emergency (hard to land sometimes) and you would be flying at full throttle all the time hard on the turbine. I have a RAM750 in my rookie and I wish I had more power. On the + side you would
save weight.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Bill_Jehle
My Feedback: (1)

Tom,

I have been flying a composite Roo for a couple years now, first with a RAM 500, and now a PST J600. It had fixed gear and weighed around 12 to 13 pounds dry. I flew very nice. I'm guessing the top end was around 150. Flying characteristics were much like my Roo with a RAM 1000, but slower and it did not have unlimited vertical performance. I have just put retracts in it, but have not flown it yet in this configuration to give a report.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:18 PM
JET FX

Default MW54

The ROO 2 flys just fine with 12lb thrust turbines and up, like Bill says the only big difference is not having the unlimited vertical and 200+mph top end.
My Roo with 12 lb thrust MW54 and Robart gear etc. weighs 14.5 lb wet, and performs just great, with still pleanty of thrust in reserve...you will be flying at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle at cruise (approx 120-140mph)
I have mostly flown my Roo's with 27.5 lb thrust TJT-3000 but this is way over kill and not recommended untill you become familiar with airframe... talk about a rush though

Cheers-
Old 08-12-2003, 03:40 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

I fly my 19.5 lb wet Super Reaper off of a 400 ft grass runway with an MW54 . Sometimes I wish I had more thrust when temps are high and the grass is long , but there's more than enough power for 130 mph top end and from a running start my verticals are as high as I would go even if I had twice the thrust.

Keep it light and you'll be pleasantly surprised !
Old 08-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default rookie

I am flying a rookie with a 750p (22lbs thrust) and it has some serious vertical. I would not go below a 17lb thrust motor but that is just my taste. I did build and fly an old style roo with a jpx T-250 which had about 10-11 pounds thrust and moved out just fine.

Vin...
Old 08-12-2003, 05:05 PM
JET FX

Default On the grass?

Tom- one more consideration worth mentioning is the landing gear mounts on the ROO could be beefed up using glass cloth and carbon fiber, especially for grass field flying... I found my gear mounts needed glass cloth reinforcment even for sealed strip ops, Just have one slight not so smooth touch down or Roo hop and the very thin ply gear mounts tend to break up! from my experience... I would strongly recommend any new ROO owners to glass the wooden gear mounts in their ROO's before gear install...
I am not sure about the Rookie/Harpoon or weather the gear mount set up is any stronger than Roo's from factory....

Cheers-
Old 08-13-2003, 12:41 PM
JohnMac

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: On the grass?

Originally posted by ozcan
Tom- one more consideration worth mentioning is the landing gear mounts on the ROO could be beefed up using glass cloth and carbon fiber, especially for grass field flying... I found my gear mounts needed glass cloth reinforcment even for sealed strip ops, Just have one slight not so smooth touch down or Roo hop and the very thin ply gear mounts tend to break up! from my experience... I would strongly recommend any new ROO owners to glass the wooden gear mounts in their ROO's before gear install...
I am not sure about the Rookie/Harpoon or weather the gear mount set up is any stronger than Roo's from factory....

Cheers-
Ozcan,
I ripped my mounts out and did them properly in3/8" ply. The stuff I ripped out was half that thickness and orange box quality.
Shame as it spoils an otherwise excellent kit.
Having fun with it now though!
Regards,

John.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:23 PM
Minch

I have seen a MW54 flying a kangeroo, it flies a lot better than I was anticipating. The person who owns it has managed to save a lot of weight with the smaller engine so performance is good, he has saved weight on the retracts by not fitting heavy duty oleo's, he now has a smaller fuel tank, 1 litre, there is far less electronics involved as compared to a Jetcat which was fitted previously and most of all the engine weighs alot less, I beleive it is 13 - 14lbs auw.
Performance wise, take off is 75 yrds (off short grass), needs a circuit to build up a good head of steam but after that pretty much anything goes, knife edge circuits, big loops, the only thing it doesn't have is endless vertical perfromance.