Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

My Tamiya FF03 paint project.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Vyger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tamiya FF03 paint project.

Here are some pics of a recent project that I started. The chassis is a Tamiya FF03, with some hop-ups added to it. Because I thought this chassis is so interesting I thought I do up a body that complimented it. Keep in mind the body is display only. The runner is done in the same blue.

I’ve done similar layouts in the past with other cars but this time I wanted something a little more different. So instead of taping off half the body right down the middle I put the line on at angles. I think it came out OK, there are a few things I would do different next time.

It’s not quite done. I still have decals that to apply that came with the GTI and I’m thinking of using a race livery on it as well.

I’d just thought I’d share. Let me know what you think…was this a good idea or a waist of a body?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM
gokemidoro

Default RE: My Tamiya FF03 paint project.

It's a shelf body, so you can do anything to it. I find it interesting.

Since as you say, you already have a basher for it, this body shows off the entire car. Nicely done. Looks like you got quite a number of option parts already installed.

Suggestion? Maybe for the next one, install a light unit. THAT would be a project, to see how you route wires and attach the light buckets.

But so far, great job! Very unique!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Vyger

Thanks for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it.

You’re right on track with the direction I’m going. I already have plans on installing the LED lights. The body kit comes with the light buckets for the front and rear. I’ve ordered four 5mm and four 3mm LED’s. So the car will have a set of two on each corner.

To make this look a little more different I’ve tinted the front headlight (lexan body). In an attempt to take it a step further I also tinted the chrome headlight bucket. I’m hoping it will look like it has projector headlights. The clear side will have the stock light buckets installed. Once I get the decals finished I’ll play with the actual wiring layout.

I’ll post up more pics as it goes. Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM
gokemidoro

Yup, take those pics when you finish!

You have a real conversation piece there. More than that, actually, since it works, too.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
lee172

i dont think you have enough coats of blue on there, in the second pic i can see a lighter blue on the rear wing.. its different though and i like that! [8D]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: lee172

i dont think you have enough coats of blue on there, in the second pic i can see a lighter blue on the rear wing.. its different though and i like that! [8D]
I think you're looking at something else. That is light bouncing off. You can see the same thing on the windshield pillar.

Aside from that - nice job! I would suggest not tinting the chrome, as you would want all the light to bouce back and out thru the lens. It will also help if you tint the other lens so that the light output is even on both sides.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Vyger

Hey Lee! What up!?!

You’re right. I noticed that when I peeled off the tape. It was a real B*tch trying to get the paint in there since I used a rattle-can. Because the blue is translucent I had to be cautious of overloading one area and making it too dark…whoops. I’m going to address that as I move along.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Casper06

Awesome job! I love it makes for a excellent display piece. [8D]
Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Mr Lee

ORIGINAL: Vyger

Hey Lee! What up!?!

You’re right. I noticed that when I peeled off the tape. It was a real B*tch trying to get the paint in there since I used a rattle-can. Because the blue is translucent I had to be cautious of overloading one area and making it too dark…whoops. I’m going to address that as I move along.

Very cool job there.

Yip, that is the problem with transluscent colours. Did the same with a Alfa mito I just finished, also on the rear wing. The paint don't flow too well in small tight areas and hence you get an uneven finish.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
lee172

ORIGINAL: Vyger

Hey Lee! What up!?!

No worries, them areas are always the hardest to get a good layer of paint on, if you give it a good spray it ends up dripping so its hard to judge..

Didnt realise you used translucent either, makes it even harder! [:'(]
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats pretty cool, nice job