Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

World Of Tanks Spyware?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
whiteknight1066

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Of Tanks Spyware?

Hey, this is a heads up for all of the RCTankwars folks who have been interested in the World Of Tanks game as well as a request for information. A bit off-topic, but it's being discussed here, so...

I recently saw the posts about World Of Tanks here in the forums, and as a PCgamer as well as an RC afficianado, Idecided to take a look. What could it hurt, it's free, right? Well...I've tried to download the client software onto my computer multiple times now. I tried a couple different versions, thinking that maybe the link Ihad was the problem. Each time my anti-virus software choked when Itried to start it up, saying that it was a known threat, or that part of it was a known threat to identity safety. I use AVG, andprevious to nowit's been pretty good, with few or no false alarms.

This post is primarily to mention this to others on the forum so there is awareness of the potential issue. Both of the posters in the thread that mention the game are long-time posters and seem to be recognized by others, so Idon't think it's as simple as a fishing scheme-besides, the website for WoT seems overly elaborate for a simple identity-theft scam. This leads me to the secondary reason for this posting-a question as to wether anyone else has played this game, and have you had this problem with it? It looks like fun, I'd like to play it, and I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or if the AVG program is jumping at shadows. Any input or experience would be appreciated, and thatnks!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
MassiveOverkill

Default RE: World Of Tanks Spyware?

I used to love AVG. It used to be lightweight and do a decent job. Now it's jumped on the bloatwagon and the fact that twice it flagged critical Windows files as viruses and deleted them, causing many Windows users to be unable to boot to Windows has soured me off of them for good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_(software)

<span id="Issues" class="mw-headline">Issues</span><ul>[*]When uninstalling AVG version 7 or 8 in Windows XP/Vista and attempting to install other anti-virus programs such as <font color="#0645ad">Kaspersky Anti-Virus</font> or <font color="#0645ad">Norton AntiVirus</font>, the latter programs will not install. Instead, they show an "incompatible software installed" error even if the uninstalled software has been removed using the control panel. This happens because software that updates and changes can add registry entries that were not added when the product was originally installed (therefore the uninstaller is unaware of the registry keys).<sup id="cite_ref-19" class="reference"><font size="2"><font color="#0645ad"><span>[</span>20<span>]</span></font></font></sup>[*]A signature update dated November 9, 2008, crippled some computers, as it allowed the software to treat "user32.dll", a major component of Windows XP/Vista, as a trojan and advised users to delete it. Users who deleted the file in question were put on a continuous reboot loop. The problem was rectified a few days later with a new signature database and further safeguards were added to the product (270.9.0/1778).<sup id="cite_ref-20" class="reference"><font size="2"><font color="#0645ad"><span>[</span>21<span>]</span></font></font></sup>[*]Towards the end of July 2009, a software update caused the program to inform users that <font color="#0645ad">iTunes</font> was infected<sup id="cite_ref-21" class="reference"><font size="2"><font color="#0645ad"><span>[</span>22<span>]</span></font></font></sup> with a non-existent virus, Small.BOG. If users followed the recommended instructions, it would remove critical DLL files and corrupt the iTunes installation.<sup id="cite_ref-22" class="reference"><font size="2"><font color="#0645ad"><span>[</span>23<span>]</span></font></font></sup>[*]An update of AVG 2011 resulted in Windows 7 64-bit systems being <font color="#0645ad">bricked</font>, leaving machines in a continuous reboot loop. The update has now been removed.<sup id="cite_ref-23" class="reference"><font size="2"><font color="#0645ad"><span>[</span>24<span>]</span></font></font></sup>[/list]Sorry, linked to different stories to the same instance, updated my links
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems launching it in the beginning.  I have norton and it just asks me if i want an unknown program to launch.  Now it works with
no problems and I haven't had any warnings pop up.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Martellus

same. I just use norton.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I haven't played WOT, but one of my other favourite games has suffered from false positives from antivirus vendors for quite a while now, see the link for details:
http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home...ck-at-it-r1225
Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Shabbernigdo

Ive been playin WoT for a few weeks now. SOOOOclose to getin to drive my Tiger 1 &gt;_&lt;

Ihavent had any virus issues or any warnings from the site.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Frantz70

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo

Ive been playin WoT for a few weeks now. SOOOOclose to getin to drive my Tiger 1 &gt;_&lt;

Same here, you know the server reset is April 12.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM
EasterBunny

I play WOT on a nightly basis and I have yet to notice a problem. I ditched AVG in favor of AVAST. I find AVAST a much better FREE anti virus program.

Nick D
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Shabbernigdo

ORIGINAL: Frantz70

ORIGINAL: Shabbernigdo

Same here, you know the server reset is April 12.

yeah ive herd about it dident know it was on the 12 tho. Im tryin to just bomb through all the other tanks as fast as i can so i can get to the tiger but not sure if ill make it or not : P
Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 AM
TheBennyB

Dang, I've been stuck with the T-28 FOREVER, you guys have a trick on getting research points?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 AM
MassiveOverkill

Save up your gold and get a premium account with it.  Save that T-28, it's a good money-maker.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
EasterBunny

In my WOT garage I currently have the Tiger I, Tiger II, VK4502 Ausf.B, Marder II, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger, Ferdinand, M5 Stuart, M4A3E8 Sherman and the M26 Pershing. All of them are Elite status except for the Ausf.B, not going to be able to unlock the Maus before the hard wipe.

Regards Nick D