Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Variable Toe System?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tamiya Variable Toe System?

I found this when browsing youtube, its a tb03 with a custom variable toe system, how does this help while driving? Do you get more grip or less when under damper under compression?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBgT...eature=related
Translated the message with google translate: <span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="154">I tried</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="155">to</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="156">incorporate a</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="157">variable</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="158">system</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="159">unit</span><span title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="160">'s rear</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="161">toe</span><span title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="162">.</span>
<span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="163">By changing</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="164">the</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="165">toe angle</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="166">when driving</span><span title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="167">, keeping</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="168">the</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="169">best</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="170">traction</span><span title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="171">.</span>
<span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="172">This</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="173">adjustment</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="174">will</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="175">change</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="176">it</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="177">from</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="178">toe</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="179">to</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="180">toe</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="181">out</span><span title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="182">, the reverse</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="183">is</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="184">still under discussion</span><span title="Click for alternate translations" closure_uid_gt6557="185">.</span></span>
Old 04-08-2011, 04:26 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Variable Toe System?

I'm not sure how he gets it to change to the correct amount of tow at the right time. Toe in is supposed to give better straight line stability, toe out is supposed to promote quick steering response.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Well that's pretty interesting, although very strange. If the rear end's arms are compressed, or under weight/ load, I would want the rear end of the car to go as straight as possible. The toe out during compression in the rear wouldn't help the car; it would make understeer worse.

I could understand its use in the front end. more negative toe around corners when its under compression, and less for the straights.

I'm also trying to think about what would happen if the car had a bent suspension shaft in the rear end; would only one side work?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Haddi Taha

thats what i thought, it looked strange. If anyone tries it tell us how it goes
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I contacted the person who made the video and asked him if this came with the kit, or is an aftermarket item. Here's his reply:

<div class="content"> <div class="comment-text" dir="ltr">

@dragnse7en</p>

Each part was individually bought.</p>

Most of parts is things of the forefoot.</p>

However, the amount of the stroke of the suspension decreases by doing this.</p>

Moreover, it is necessary to buy "TAMIYA 5×8mm hard pillow ball".</p>

Please refer to my blog for details.</p>

ttp://minkara.carview.co.jp/us<wbr/>­erid/609101/car/519817/2905844<wbr/>­/parts.aspx</p> </div> </div> <div class="metadata"> GinSlowstyle <span class="time">10 hours ago

The link doesn't work, probably because there's no h in front of the ttp . . .. lol<br type="_moz"/></span> </div>
Old 04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Haddi Taha

thanks for that. Would this give an inconsistant feel to the handling because the rear stablity changes under compression?</p>
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

yes.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Haddi Taha

so it will decrease handling looks trick but not good.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:52 PM
BlueShade Zero

this is the second time i've seen this system. A buddy of mine did it with a TC4. The idea was to give the RC an artificial "rear steering" that would help tight cornering. It was a subtle 1-2 degrees but the difference was quite noticeable. The fact that the rear was being aided around the corner improved the cornering multifold. He could enter a turn atleast half again as fast as other racers with out loosing control or understeering. It had the perk that the more force you had entering a turn, the more turning you had, so while other racers would have to slow down you could maintain your speed and variable toe would aid you around the corner.

The problem was that with out a certain level of technique the car would act squirrely and you could easily loose coming out of the corner. It didnt behave any more like you would expect it to, it was real twitchy and seemed overly responsive.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Haddi Taha

thanks blueshade zero for the detailed response it helped alot 
Its a bit like a oneway diff i guess, it makes it harder to drive but if driven correctly is very fast.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 PM
ozzie-crawl

you can get rear steer on pan cars as they have a seperate pod,basicly all he has done is add bump steer to the rear.be interesting to see how it ran,i would suspect as the side load comes of the rear would snap around.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: ozzie-crawl

you can get rear steer on pan cars as they have a seperate pod,basicly all he has done is add bump steer to the rear.be interesting to see how it ran,i would suspect as the side load comes of the rear would snap around.
That's exactly what I thought