Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

So the wheel nuts on my flux are ridiculously tight from the factory. I can't get them off. They're so tight they started to strip when I tried to take them off so I stopped trying. How can I get them off? Should I heat them up? thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tires

No, don't heat them. What are you using for a wrench? A good 6-point socket and socket wrench ought to work.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

I'm using an 8mm wrench from dynamite I had to buy. HPI suggests a glow plug wrench for them but since I've never owned a nitro I didn't have one. The dynamite wrench is pretty long and its hard to get torque with it. I mean wow, these things wont budge!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get yourself a 1/4" drive metric 6-point socket set with an extension. I don't know about the Dynamite wrench, but many glowplug wrenchs are soft metal and poorly formed. They can slip if used on wheelnuts that are very tight.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Ah, I actually have a socket wrench like that. It just took me forever to find the correct socket. I was looking for it before but gave up. I found it in the bottom of one of my old toolboxes. Took a lot of wrenching but I got them. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

making them super tight really helps against stripping the wheel hexes.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

LOL I tell ya what...I've broken LOTS of parts in my short time so far in the hobby, but I haven't ever stripped a wheel hex before. Never say never right ?