Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

TB-01 vs DF-03Ra ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 AM
davzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB-01 vs DF-03Ra ?

hey guys, i'm trying to decide between the TB-01 and DF-03Ra kits. i've been running an hpi sprint 2 for the past year but the belt system just isn't holding up to the VXL BL system i put in. plus i can't really use it at home in the country. So i wanted to get a rally kit that's shaft drive and still use the sweet car body's of my favorite tuner cars.

i've read the both the offical/resourse threads on here and can see pro's and cons to both kits, but i'd like som imput from people who actually have them.

Thanks <br type="_moz" />
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM
davzilla

Default RE: TB-01 vs DF-03Ra ?

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">oh and if makes a difference the TB-01 is 50 bucks cheaper than the DF-03Ra</span>
Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 PM
rapscallion

Hello DavZilla.

If you're looking at a total savings of $50, then I would just go for the DF03r. I recently purchased a TB-01 rally kit for the very low price of roughly $40 - and I was very excited about the deal. But once I started doing the little upgrades and modifications that are really required to make it a race-ready (or close to it) car, it has cost me easily another $100 plus. With the DF03r, you'll be ready to go straight out of the box and have better performance than the TB-01 will ever be.

I will give the TB-01 credit for being insanely durable. I've been launching this thing off jumps like crazy, and it seems to just keep going. But, the biggest downside I've come across is the intense heat build-up to the motor/esc combo. I've added in a decent brushless system and tried several different gearings, but nothing seems to cool it down to within a reasonable range. Pinion up, Pinion down....nothing helps. I think it is a result of the full metal gearbox, steel driveshaft, and relatively stiff gear diff; the resistance is enormous compared to a more modern drive-train.

With all that said, though...if you like tinkering and customizing and upgrading and whatnot, the TB-01 is a great car with tons of parts/options floating around out there. I'm just about to convert my TB-01 rally car into a buggy, and it should be a total blast. Converting a DF03r would probably be a lot easier, as the Dark Impact is the same chassis - but I've got the TB-01 and plan to have as much fun as I possibly can with it

Good luck either way.

JPR
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TB-01 = vintage + dust shield
DF-03Ra = parts support + current generation + better performance

If you can find a TB-01 w/ the proper dust shield, it is a good kit to have just because it is no longer available.. however, for pure runner, DF-03Ra is probably better..
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
davzilla

Cool, thanks for the input guys, looks like it's the DF03Ra for me