Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Direct Connection Ultimate 10-300S - Some questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Direct Connection Ultimate 10-300S - Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:03 AM
fd59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Connection Ultimate 10-300S - Some questions

I have acquired a Direct Connection Ultimate 10-300S ARC that was already started (Wings put together and covered). I will be removing the covering and starting over. Wings halvs were attached using epoxy and fiberglass cloth so there shouldn't be any problem with seperation.

Specifications:
Wing Span: 56" Optional 60"
Area: 1065 square inches
Length: 60 inches
Weight: 9.5 - 11 pounds
Engine: .60 - .90 2-cycle or
.90 - 1.5 4-cycle

Plan on installing the 60" Wing Span option.

A few question if you don't mind?

1. Does this model realy build within mfg's weight specs? I would love to get this to 10 lbs.

2. Building tips on this model?

3. Engine Reccomendations? I am thinking of using a YS 140 Sport or a OS 160 FX (Has anyone used a small gasser?)

4. Can anyone comment on performance with 60" WS vs the 56" WS?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mack
Old 08-14-2003, 04:45 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Goldberg Ultimate, 54" wings, that is currently powered with a Webra 1.20. Plenty of power when it runs. I am going to repower it this winter with a 140 size gasser as the cost of glow fuel is starting to take it's toll. (I fly a LOT) I think if you keep the engine weight down below 3.5 lbs you will be fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Mark_O74

I built one for a friend about 2 years ago. I don't think you can get it down to 10 lbs, the one I built weight just a couple of ounces over 11. The wings come prejoined from the factory so there shouldn't be any problems there. It is powered with a YS120 FZ, will hover and has enough power for a good pull out. Plane flies awesome, you'll love it. I built it stock with the 56" span but replaced most of the metric hardware with standard.

Building tips.

1. Build a new Stabilizer out of better wood, his stabilizer failed on one side and when I repaired it I tore the old one apart and the wood was way too soft to be used in that high of a stress area. My brother has another of these still in the box and it appears to be made out of the same quality of wood.

2. Definitely use flying wires on the tail.

3. Find someone with very small hands to help install the cabane struts in the fuse as it is very hard to tighten the bolts. I probably spent 8-10 hours just trying to get them bolted in all together. I installed them before covering to check everything out and make sure of the incidence, then had to remove them and do it all over after I covered it.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:42 PM
Glenn_O

Here's a Pic of the one Mark_O74 built.

Old 08-15-2003, 03:36 AM
fd59

Great looking Ultimate!!! I can't wait to get mine in the air.

Thanks for the building tips.

When find time to start work on mine. I will try to post some pics.

Still can't make up my mind on an engine. I think I have narrowed it down to a YS 140 Sport or a small gasser. I really would like to try the YS 140, but the nearest LHS is about 100 miles away, and the only local provider of fuel only stocks 15% Cool Power. If I could find a small gasser with the same kink of power I would jump on it, but looks like any gasser with that kind of power will add way too much weight.

Glenn_O,
How do you like your Goldberg Chipmunk? I have an OS .61 long stroke that needs a home and have been wondering what to get.

Thanks,

Mack
Old 08-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Glenn_O

I love my Chipmunk, it seems to do everthing really well. I have a Saito 1.00 in mine and it has a whole lot more power than I will ever need, the 61 should fly it just fine.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

I flew a DC Ultimate for quite some time. Mine was powered with an O.S. 1.08. Don't know that I ever weighed the plane. Unfortuneatly it is in need of repair and has been in the state for 3 years now. It is a great flying plane. As far as construction goes the only big issue was with the landing gear mounting plate to the fuse. It is or at least was the only week area of the construction. If they have not improved that, you need to tie the landing gear plate into the fuse with triangle stock or somehow strengthen that area of the plane. I had to completely replace mine after nothing more than a normal landing ripped it out.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:30 AM
couchflyer

Default DC Ultimate

Mine flew great until my transmitter failed which cause an untimely demise. 1.20 Saito w/a slimline muffler. Use guide wires in the tail, reinforce the bottom of the top wing (I would pick up the plane from there.) It was always a crowd favorite. Great plane, build it per the planes.

I wish I could fine a Direct Connections 30% Ultimate!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105999_30323.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	57567  
Old 09-03-2003, 03:07 AM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

Man! Seeing that Goldberg Chipmunk sure brought back some fond memories. I used to have one with a O.S. .61 fsr on board that would knife edge all day long. Sure did like that one.