Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

2 OS .61 2stroke's need Duellist 2/60?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

2 OS .61 2stroke's need Duellist 2/60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 08:13 PM
Smoky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 OS .61 2stroke's need Duellist 2/60?

Hi. I have these 2 Engines and would love to put them into a twin.
This would be my 1st twin. I have spent the last 72 hrs. setting here reading up on em. I am planning to build a CL 215/415.

But wanted something to practice on 1st.

I read some posts concerning a " Duellist 2/60" But havn't been able to find any links to it.

It made for some very interesting reading. I ussually like to stick to float flying, but will forgo that pleasure for the sake of learning.

I Am a good intermediate flyer. Shoulder and high wing. plus a Stearman Bipe.

any and all links/tips appreciated.
Thanks.
Smoky.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:18 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Smoky:

The Duellist 2/60 was a coop effort, three of us got together and did the design, then signed up more people to get a "Production" run of 50 kits.

The object was for we Duellist freaks, and some new to the Duellist also, to have a larger version at a minimum cost.

We are not going to make any more. But John Marien, Northeast Aerodynamics, is fine tuning the design for kitting, he plans to start selling them in the not too distant future. When? You'll have to ask him.

www.ne-aero.com

Warning in advance: The Duellist is such a nice airplane you will not want to pull the engines to fly your Canadair, you most likely will buy another pair for it. Ditto the radio gear, if you had planned to switch that as well.

If you insist on a Duellist, and don't want to wait, you can get the Duellist 2/40, kitted by Pica. While the plane is more than strong enough to hold your 60s, it tends to be nose heavy and you'd probably end up with a lead sled by the time you got it balanced. And you would not like it.

First twin, that's fine. But how mant kits?

This is another point on the Duellist. It is definitely not a beginner's kit.

An alternate that's about the same size as the Duellist, and is reasonable for a relatively inexperienced builder, is the Twin-Air 45. Northeast Aerodynamics also. If anything, it's a bit nicer flier for the twin beginner than the Duellist. But again, your 60s wont be suitable.

If you'd like to go for the smaller twin as a first, in a spirit of spreading the "Twin Insanity" I have a pair of OS 40 FP engines in good condition. I'll make you a super deal on them. $80 the pair, including postage to Sask, but any customs costs are yours to worry about. Breaking it down, that's $60 for the engines, I'm figuring $20 for shipping.

They were for my personal Twin-Air 45, they've been replaced by a pair of K&B 40s. I'm a K&B nut as well as a twin nut.

They will fly either plane, but in the Duellist you wont realize the full potential of the plane. Flown in a reasonable manner, they are more than sufficient for the Twin-Air.

Let me know ifr you're interested. PM, email, or just post it here.

Bill.

PS: Anybody who sees this and wants to buy a 40 FP for $30, forget it. They are a matched pair, I will only sell them together. And Smoky has first call. wr.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Smoky

William Robinson:
Yeah! I'll take em. and Much obliged to you for the gift.
I am assuming they are in Running condition! Right?
Now We just gotta figure out how to pay you.

E-mail sent.

Now I just gotta Order me one of these Twin air thingy's. LOL

I've only Built 6 kits so far, including one ARF.
And my favorite, (SIG Kadet) I picked it up, with a Garbage bag 21 times. (many,,many, little pieces.) LOL put it back together and flew it some more. Tenacious or what. My Nearest Hobby supply store is 2 1/2 Hrs away, So I do alot of Make do with what I have stuff.

We also do not have a club Here. And after teaching myself how to fly, I Coach kids Building and get them flying also. I don't Volunteer it, but when they come and ask for help. I cannot say "no". Besides it is just as much fun to watch them finally get their first Solo in as it was when I made my 1st successful landing.
I now has "Realflight Simulator" to help out.

I've flown Ski's, Wheels, (Trike and tail) and Floats. Floats is my favorite.
For runway's we use mostly grass fields. But I have been know to land on a Dirt Road with hard packed clay. (tire tracks). for use a Long, albeit Narrow set of parrallel 2 foot wide, runways.
Main Problem doing that is. the spectators come along and park on my runway! Extra stress keeps you sharp. LOL

After reading Many hours of your post, P-factor, Critical engine, Vm? something. speed and control surface stuff. CR Props. I Have to admire Both you and Twinman (among others) for your expertise, and willingness to help others.
Smoky. AKA Rick.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:14 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rick:

You have mail.

You've built six kits, including an ARF? Wrong. You've built five kits, and assembled the pre-built parts of an ARF.

In my opinion, the Twin-Air is the best twin trainer on the market. With the long after fuselage it's easy to fly engine out, but you will need to learn to use the rudder. If you aren't using rudder to turn your Kadet and other planes, start doing so, train your left thumb to add rudder automatically for yaw control. That is really the only hard thing about learning to fly twins, and using ailerons only for turns is the result of either bad habits, or bad instruction. But it's common among r/c fliers.

Delivered in the US, the Twin-Air 45 is $154.95 including freight. I don't know how much difference there will be, if any other than the exchange rate, mailed to you in Canada.

www.ne-aero.com

I do not envy you your 21 unsuccessful landings, but that's the way everybody used to learn to fly r/c. I did it too.

In teaching the area kids there's no better introduction, in my opinion, than a good R/C simulator. RealFlight is one of the best, if not the best af all.

Since you are teaching all these other people to fly, why not organize your own club? How do you think they get started?

I will tender thanks for the nice words on behalf of Twinman, and for me also. You are assisting the hobby in your local area, we're trying to do the same in a larger area. But we can't do it hands on, you have the advantage there.

So have fun with the Twin-Air and the 40 FPs.

Bill.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Smoky

Bill:

You have mail.
Thanks.

Smoky (Rick)
Old 09-04-2003, 03:49 AM
Smoky

Bill:
You have mail.

I received the engines today. Sep 3rd. They look very much Like new! They we're definately worth the wait!
Thanks.
Smoky.