Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

problem with front diffs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 AM
bdgf2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with front diffs

i got a 2011 savage 4.6 rtr. i believe it has the bulletproof diffs (they're stock). in the manual i see it say it has a 29t/9t set-up (105551) but i count 13t on the bevel gear so i'm not sure. my problem is that i noticed a loud clicking noise and saw the front wheel drive was acting funny so i took it apart and saw a few teeth were broken on the bevel gear (it's the one the dog bone connects to. i don't recall having any bad crashes that day but i did adjust the brakesand now they can flip thetruck. my question is could my brakes have brokenmy frontdiff? is there any upgrade that i should consider?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
llkoolskillet

Default RE: problem with front diffs

If you were jumping and landed funny, that would cause the teeth on the pinion gear to break off. If you ran into something hard. It could also be that the diff was not shimmed properly from the factory. Thats why its a good idea to give the truck a good once over when new and shimming everything that needs it. Some of the other guys here might comment on the fact that the new savage is supposed to come with the BP diffs and many are not. Contact HPI and ask them where yours are. They should send them out to you, also your truck does have a warranty so again call HPI and ask them whats up!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
bdgf2004

how can i tell if they are the bulletproof series? i did notice some left to right slack in the diff. it has been through some harsh landings but i didn't notice the noise until i tightened the brakes. i went ahead and bought 2 complete diff sets off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT , they were cheaper than the rebuild kit.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
moezer

NOOOOOOOOOOO lol the new savage X does not come with BP diff its a lie, from hpi. The reson ur diff messed up is cuz its not shimmed good

the same thin happend to a guy i know about his new savage i told him and insisted that he should shimm them and he said no they are ok, and what you know? he busted them.

Its not really about how u land, the diffs break from the inside due to the hard braking from the savage, it happend to me 2 times, first time it happend i shimmed it and the 2d time i landed a jump side ways that maed the bearing explode and on hard braking it broke a tooth, thats when i updated to the BP diifs and they are worth every cent.

this is the BP diifs
Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: moezer

NOOOOOOOOOOO lol the new savage X does not come with BP diff its a lie, from hpi. The reson ur diff messed up is cuz its not shimmed good

the same thin happend to a guy i know about his new savage i told him and insisted that he should shimm them and he said no they are ok, and what you know? he busted them.

Its not really about how u land, the diffs break from the inside due to the hard braking from the savage, it happend to me 2 times, first time it happend i shimmed it and the 2d time i landed a jump side ways that maed the bearing explode and on hard braking it broke a tooth, thats when i updated to the BP diifs and they are worth every cent.

this is the BP diifs [img][/img]
[img][/img]
THANK YOU I was about to post the same thing.

bdgf2004 if i was you i would talk to the seller and ask him if you can switch the diffs out for the 29/9t gears and pay the differance. Hes a good seller and should work with you. I have bought a ton of stuff from him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Bulletproof-...item3368e62189
Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
bdgf2004

i was talking to a guy who deals with hpi and he told me that hpi basically used up the rest of the 43/13 setups they had in the 2011 savage x rtr and then switched to the 29/9 bulletproof.

i emailed hpi with the problem and they just replied wanting pics of the parts. i'll let yall know what happens.

has any body ever tried yellow sticky tack in the diffs to lock them?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Alain2

I have the same story, 2011 savage with the old style diff. My front diff also broke after 1 gallon, now running RWD only.

I contacted HPI, sent invoice and pics by email. They said they are going to replace them,
I am on the waiting list for new diffs, they are backorder.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: bdgf2004

i was talking to a guy who deals with hpi and he told me that hpi basically used up the rest of the 43/13 setups they had in the 2011 savage x rtr and then switched to the 29/9 bulletproof.

i emailed hpi with the problem and they just replied wanting pics of the parts. i'll let yall know what happens.

Don't lock your diffs.

Here's my shimming guide.
http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=27292
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

ORIGINAL: bdgf2004

Don't lock your diffs.

Here's my shimming guide.
http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=27292
DO NOT LOCK THEM.... trust me i broke every axle in the truck, both rears at the same time. Yes they were XL axles too. DO NOT LOCK THE DIFF
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM
bdgf2004

today i put some 100,000 diff oil in both front and rear. i ordered 50,000 and 100,000 but they just sent me two tubes of 100.000. after putting it in i kinda glad i didn't receive ant 50,000, the 100,000 seems to be what i want. i haven't driven it yet with the 100,000 but i thtink i'll like it.

if hpi is willing to send me some new bulletproof diffs that would be great. if i have to be put on a waiting list it wont bother me too much as io have already bought 2 new diff sets.

what if i were to put on a 52/13 spur/clutch bell and lock the diffs to try and help climbing, mudding and pulling capabilities? in other words is it always a bad idea to lock the diffs?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM
llkoolskillet

dont forget your clutch. by making these changes to suit your needs your going to need a stronger clutch with aluminum shoes.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
bdgf2004

i've heard some bad reviews on some of the aluninum clutch shoes. what would be some good one's?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I havent herd any bad reviews. A little more maintance than carbon or teflon shoes but way better gripping. You can buy a whole xl flywheel clutch setup for 15 bucks off ebay. Dynamite long life shoes are good too.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 AM
llkoolskillet

I use the lntegy aluminum clutch kit off ebay for $13 shipped. It lasts me about a gallon and a half with my modded picco. Ive heard nothing but great things about the M2C clutch system but its $54.