Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine for TC3, Fantom or O.S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 12:04 AM
*~RC~*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for TC3, Fantom or O.S.

its basically down to these two brands. not sure which engine, but both are fairly cheap and easy to tune. I need advice. Maybe if i can get enough money i can get a higher end engine but a starter box wont come cheap.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:46 PM
1stPlaceRace

OS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My fantom is a big piece of crap compared to my OS CV-R. Fantom Must run 100 degrees warmer to get the same power as the OS. Stan www.1stplacerace.com
Old 08-16-2003, 03:56 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

get a fantom, obviously this guy has tuning problems if he cant understand that some engines run hotter than others, i doubt he has an infrared temp gun either, so his readings arent coming from the same spot. The fantom will produce more rpms than the OS making it faster.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:38 PM
gq207

get only a OS. they are the best period.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:56 PM
1stPlaceRace

Casey, Obviously you know everything so This is just for RC if he wants the info The fantom engine is great if you get a good one but the temps are out of line on the fantom. Recomended break in at 220 and recommended running temp of 250-280. I have a great temp gun (raytec)and my fantom was always in the factory temp zone. My OS CVR has equal power and top speed at 190 degrees. Bottom line.. my os lasted longer and my entire chassis stays cooler with the OS. The fantom comes with a new tech piston and sleeve that has a synthetic coating and guess what... the coating comes off after heavy use.. Get what you want RC. If you are a hardcore racer and don't care if your engine is only good for 3 gallons of fuel get a fantom... Mine did not start out of the box (can) and was sensitive to temp and humidity changes. It was also hard on glo plugs due to the high temps. When I talked to my supplier they said the same thing and the factory team guys at The ranch pit stop in so cal were telling them that the fantom was a "finicky engine" Yea..just what the average hobbyist wants, a finicky engine. My OS and every OS I have ever owned (5 total) have always run out of the box.

Casey , I think you must be a fantom rep or something... Why you gonna jump on me with your smart ***** crap? I spend a ton of time working with my own and others stuff for over 15 years now. The amount of time you have spent posting has gone to your head you little "I live at RCU" Poindexter.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:59 PM
gq207

i have a OS .12 TR P T in my NTC3 and it will go as fast or faster then you want it to go. It will break all four tires loose at any speed. It also has the comfort of knowing that it is an OS. This one has 1.28 HP
Old 08-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Wild Gopher

When I talked to my supplier they said the same thing and the factory team guys at The ranch pit stop in so cal were telling them that the fantom was a "finicky engine" Yea..just what the average hobbyist wants, a finicky engine.
Hey 1stplace, the ranch pit shop in pomona has been closed for several years now. Did they reopen it somewhere else? I know of a track near the old ranch location called Revelation Raceway. Im not being a smartass but if the reopened that track and i dont know about it please let me know.....the old ranch pit stop was cool
Old 08-16-2003, 05:44 PM
1stPlaceRace

Kristen and sean at www.psrch.com are my suppliers and they travel to some different so cal locations and also have had the factory guys in there store in Santa Barbara. I have ties to the old ranch pit stop from The GTX to NXT modification days.( Most of us had a "NXT" custom conversion 2 years before it came out. Anyways I'm not sure where Sean and Kristen met up with them, I thought it was Pit Stop. I think its only been closed for about 14 months. There are a ton of so cal tracks now.. Thanks ans sorry for any confusion. I just spoke to kristen a few minutes ago and she said the fantoms are doing well at the track but have all of the heat,tuning and reliability issues we have discussed.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:45 PM
r2drift2

OS!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 08-16-2003, 09:41 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

fantoms arent as good as they make them out to be. I have wooped plenty of fantoms with my o.s. .12 cv-r. bottom line is that fantoms will only run good if they are dialed in perfectly.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:45 PM
1stPlaceRace

The old cv with the square head is still one of the most reliable, best bang for the buck engines available. Plus the ABC rebuild kit from duratraxx is under $30 I personaly have never seen a bad out of the box OS.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:46 PM
nitroman88

yea o.s is great, super reliable and they last along time.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:03 AM
wirenut

I have a fantom and it is awesome. It started right out of the can without touching the needles. I was sold on it after a review of it in xtreme r/c cars a couple of months ago. It received very good reviews. Very easy to tune. Absolutely screams. Faster than my friend's picco. I don't know about the os but I have no complaints with the fantom.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:11 AM
nitroman88

reliability wins races and o.s. sure has plenty of that.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:49 AM
ajisup

Default RE: Engine for TC3, Fantom or O.S.

I have the Fantom in my rs4 and it kicks ass. I don't know what you guys are talking about it overheating or getting too hot. I have it tuned perfectly and after about 15 minutes of driving at about 45 M.P.H, I let the engine cool for about half a minute. After that, I can put my hand on the engine and it is not hot enough to burn my hand. My cousin has the os .12 cvr in his XTM blade and it is tuned right also. His engine gets really hot compared to my engine. It also takes him a long time to cool it down. About 2 or 3 mins. I think Fantoms are the best engines for your money.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:48 AM
Nutek

I use the OS .12 TR and yet to have a single problem.... the reason I went with OS is years ago when I use to fly planes I only used OS and never had a problem. Now that I've embarked on the R/C car market I went with the tried and true product. OS
Old 09-20-2003, 03:11 AM
MadTripper

I have an OS that I recently drowned (Vid Coming Soon!!!) and I dumped the muddy water out of the carb, put some fuel in its place and it fired right up. It is a CV-X so its not the craziest in performance but I'm extremely happy with it. Beyond that, I paid just over $80 for it brand new and by adding a decent header and pipe, it screams for me. I feel like I'm having de ja vous but if you are really looking for high end, jump on a Wasp or Orion. If you want ease of maintenance and durability accompanied by some great performance also, stick with O.S. They are hard to beat as basically the best all around engines.

Tripper