Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

In the spirit of the spectator access thread I thought I'd see what has happened to YOUR airplanes at an event. Doesn't have to be from a spectator, sometimes fellow modelers are just as dumb as uninformed spectators.

I've been fairly lucky with my models, I tend to keep them at the far end of the pit area when not flying and generally stay around them.

I fortunately haven't had my stuff damaged by outside hands, though I've had the odd person (usually a modeler) decide to pick my airplanes up to see how much they weigh or some other stupid excuse.

Probably the stupidest thing I've had happen with a jet, was while at a meet, I was in the start up area running up my jet when an idiot modeler (but not a jet guy) decided to run behind my kingcat and crouch down to see what the back side of a turbine looked like while running. Guess he didn't realize that it was running at 700 degrees!!!!!! I shut down the second I saw him drop down to look but it wasn't before he caught a face full of heat and dust.

Doesn't matter how much you protect your models, yourself, and the public, you can't stop stupid.

I don't want this to be another anti spectator thread, just wondering what the lower IQ folks have done to your models!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: What is the stupidest thing somebody else has done to your jet?

Not a spectator, but we had a dog that was allowed to run free in the pits during a busy weekend. The dog got in my trailer, and then when the owner called him, he decided to walk across the top of my eurosport wing (the airplane is kept put together in the trailer on the floor) instead of going out the door he came in. Luckily the plane only suffered a few scratches, but my temper wwasnt as fortunate.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Not a spectator, but we had a dog that was allowed to run free in the pits during a busy weekend. The dog got in my trailer, and then when the owner called him, he decided to walk across the top of my eurosport wing (the airplane is kept put together in the trailer on the floor) instead of going out the door he came in. Luckily the plane only suffered a few scratches, but my temper wwasnt as fortunate.

Ouch, that sucks, unfortunately, that still comes down to stupid people..... or in this case, stupid pet owner The only time my dog is allowed loose at an event is when we let her chase the Habu's haha.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Once a girl with a big cleavage bended over my airplane to see some details and did a lot of questions. That ruined my concentration on r/c for the rest of the weekend.

Enrique
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Once a girl with a big cleavage bended over my airplane to see some details and did a lot of questions. That ruined my concentration on r/c for the rest of the weekend.

Enrique
Now that I can believe ... ,But then again after "Carnival" I would think you would be used to the "Views"
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a jet but....
I was alone doing some last minute testing of a sailplane the day before leaving for a major competition, the NATS.
I was in the park near my house. Three guys walked up and said "you do realize that this is a public park and we can walk where we want". At that point one of them walked up and stepped on the elevator of my primary glider. Fortunately for him the paramedics were based less than 1 mile away and it was also less than a 1 mile ambulance ride to the ER.....
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first jet was a BVM Bandit, in 1998.
When it was finally complete, I took it to the club meeting, for the "Model of the Month" show and tell session.
One of the older members gave it a pretty good look over, then started tapping on the wing skin with his fingernail, while asking "What is this made of?"
There were no less than a half dozen fingernail dents in the wing skin.....I was totally pissed.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (5)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's see....

- A 2 year old sat on the wing of my plane so his mother could take a photo. Clearly there is no minimum IQ requirement to be allowed to procreate.
- The H-stab of a plane was kicked by someone attempting to walk between planes. Servo damage, the plane was grounded for the rest of the meet and I had to replace the 8711 servo. Only $125 or so damage done though I suppose that I could have lost the plane if I hadn't noticed.
- A spectator backed into my plane during the noon-time lineup and nearly fell on it. I caught him from falling. No damage done other than a near heart attack.

I welcome spectators at events and generally go out of my way to involve them as much as possible. Still, I prefer them on the other side of a fence (and not in the pits) like is done at Speedworld Desert Jet Storm. I'll bring my plane over to the fence, explain to them how everything works, and answer their questions.

The funniest thing ever done was back in the ducted fan days when there were only a couple of turbines around. While I was starting up, a fellow pilot stuck a hot dog over a DF starting wand and held it in my turbine exhaust.

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

My first jet was a BVM Bandit, in 1998.
When it was finally complete, I took it to the club meeting, for the ''Model of the Month'' show and tell session.
One of the older members gave it a pretty good look over, then started tapping on the wing skin with his fingernail, while asking ''What is this made of?''
There were no less than a half dozen fingernail dents in the wing skin.....I was totally pissed.

Hi,

I can't remember how many times I've witnessed this very thing. Most recently, it was Smokin' Joe's Hog at the Basin. Kids and adults tapping the skin, trying to use their nails to see if the rivets will scratch off, etc...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe, she was stunning..

I can barely type in english while remembering this "vision" LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also not a jet, but

Friend of mine was standing astride the tail of my 3M petrol Edge whilst I ran up the engine, after saying all was OK and shutting down the engine he lifted one leg and kicked off the rudder and top of the fin.

Mike
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Not done to my jet but to me. Hope this is in the spirit of this

I was at the AMA nationals with my ducted fan JHH F-86. My wife was standing on my right side calling for me just next to the judges. I am getting ready to do my Figure eight, I called "maneuver starting now" and in my left ear I hear "How fast is your jet and how high will it go". I called to the judges to abort the maneuver and asked my wife who was on my right side. Turned out to be a spectator that wondered to the flight line. After he was removed the judges let me continue my flight and re due my figure eight.

At the same event I watched spectators smoking over another persons turbine and giant gas planes while they were refueling.

Joe
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

I actually had a "pilot" come up to my jet on the bench and start sticking his hands in it, talking to his buddy about tubing/wiring/etc. I am glad he wasnt flying, that guy was a dope! No respect for anyone else's gear. Who know what he could of disconnected. Needless to say I grounded the jet for the day...

Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some idiot knocked a pitot off my brand new L39, really upset, mainly because it was me!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix
I don't want this to be another anti spectator thread, just wondering what the lower IQ folks have done to your models!
I got my Baiojet fueled up by someone at an event. Unfortuneally they did't fuel the tank but the whole GF body... Yes they managed to get me really angry and grounded... guess atleast someone is happy.

Lesson learnt and i will never leave my plane alone again. This happend in a locked hangar, probably during night.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

had my kingcat nose kicked off, actually almost kicked off but he bulkhead held on one side.....

Grounded me for that day though...

I do find that I think my planes are safer on a stand than on the ground.

DD
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM
jetmodeller

Hi I know a guy whose MATES super glued the fire extinquser trigger up!! with mates like that i would rather not have any,he noticed the prank and got another.I wonder what would have happened if he needed it to use, finding it was usless ,and his model going up in smoke!!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a neighbor come out to the flying field to watch me fly one time, He leaned over my plane (not a jet) and allowed several metal ink pens to slide out of his shirt pocket. They went completely through the top and bottom monokote on the wing. I packed up and went home. []
Old 08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

I had a spectator kick the wing tank off my F-4, I had a spectator kick the pitot tube off the same F-4, I had a fellow modeller break the fuel dump off the F-4 (see a pattern here) I had a spectator trip over my Bandit. I have had spectators standing in my tent almost step on several airplanes over the years, several telling me "don't worry I'm not going to step on your toy", Had nose kicked on a Kingcat by a spectator. My flying buddy had his F-4 wing stepped on during the noon lineup at FJ several years back (Bunnell) . If you have a snotty nosed brat on the loose near my airplanes expect to hear me remind you of how much of an idiot you are.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
smooth sailing

ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

I actually had a ''pilot'' come up to my jet on the bench and start sticking his hands in it, talking to his buddy about tubing/wiring/etc. I am glad he wasnt flying, that guy was a dope! No respect for anyone else's gear. Who know what he could of disconnected. Needless to say I grounded the jet for the day...

I had a similar incident happen to me at Florida Jets. A guy walks up to my F-5 on a stand with the canopy off, reaches in and starts moving servo extentions, manually actuating the retract & brake valves and screwing with the ecu. When I asked him what he was doing he replied " It's okay... I fly R/C...I know what I'm doing." What nerve! And yes he was a spectator.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 PM
swasey1982

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Enrique
SO TRUE INDEED !!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Michel

Hi

A wife telling the pilot ( her husband ) ,............. how to land . Believe me ,.............. it,s funny .

Michel
Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Chris Smith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi David,
I see the pattern there. Don't have an F-fo!
All the time and effort and expense to put the Vietnam era Air Force colors on it made it blend in with the ground. Shame on you.

I know what's wrong. We haven't put up signs with the Lawyer disclaimers and labels that always prevent people from doing dumb things:

Caution
"Even though there are a bunch of expensive model aircraft in the area and flying overhead, and although it may not seem like a jet event for paying pilots due to all of the chaos in the tents and around the pits, when your kids are done grabbing, tripping, and falling on the models, please check for possible lead poisoning from the unknown paints and materials used on the toy aircraft. Crunch away. The pilots will make more."
Old 08-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a Century Jet F104 starfighte, just bought it off of RCU. I had it sitting in the living room , admiring her as we all do. y 4 yr old nephew shows up, sits on the TTail, brokke th einternals.......it hasnt flown yet and that was over 10yrs ago
Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

Sorry to hear that. In my case I was really taken aback that he had the nerve to even do something like this.

Again, there is no cure for dumb...

ORIGINAL: smooth sailing

ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

I actually had a ''pilot'' come up to my jet on the bench and start sticking his hands in it, talking to his buddy about tubing/wiring/etc. I am glad he wasnt flying, that guy was a dope! No respect for anyone else's gear. Who know what he could of disconnected. Needless to say I grounded the jet for the day...

I had a similar incident happen to me at Florida Jets. A guy walks up to my F-5 on a stand with the canopy off, reaches in and starts moving servo extentions, manually actuating the retract & brake valves and screwing with the ecu. When I asked him what he was doing he replied '' It's okay... I fly R/C...I know what I'm doing.'' What nerve! And yes he was a spectator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.