Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kerosene from Ground Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kerosene from Ground Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kerosene from Ground Tanks

It's getting harder and harder to buy Jet A around here due to the increased scrutiny airports are receiving from TSA and DHS. I can get kerosene in 5-gallon cans from the hardware store for $9 per gallon, or I can buy it from the pump at a local convenience store for $3.79 per gallon. I've never gone the latter route because I'm afraid of contaminants in the ground tank, especially this time of year when the kerosene in the ground has probably been there for months.

Am I being silly? Anyone out there routinely use kerosene from ground tanks without problems?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Kerosene from Ground Tanks

I did have a problem once with getting Kero from an oil company with inground tanks.
I use 2 funnels when I filter my Kero into my flight jug. A fine fine mesh screen in a funnel and the Mr. Funnel. It had cloged both so many times with crap that I ended up just dumping the 5 gallons.
I now get it from the Local hardware store that has an above ground 250 gallon tank. I have no problems with them for the last year or two.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with going to the corner gas station and getting Kero from the underground tanks, been doing that for 8 years now...... I use a filter on my pick up line in side my blue fuel jug. Never a problem..

Mark
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You never know. I had a problem once 4-5 years ago with kero from a local hardware store that has an above ground tank. After that I bought a Mr. Funnel and add algaeside to each batch I buy.

I now buy from a local gas station that has a pretty high volume business. I always buy from the same station and have yet to find any contamination in the Mr Funnel.

The best advise is to get a Mr. Funnel and always buy it from the same station (unless you have a bad experience there).

Joe
Old 08-28-2011, 05:19 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchase most of my Kero from a local service station that has an in ground tank and regular fuel pump on the drive next to the gas pumps. I do tripple filter it, pumping first into a 6 gallon can that has it's own pump. From there the oil is mixed and then pumped through two filters into my line can. One more filter here as it goes into the jet tank. No problems so far.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Never had a problem from Pump Kero
Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been getting kero from hess in ny/nj for years never had a proplem
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I am thinking about using Kero since Its easier to get and its cleaner to burn. I use coffee filters on everything as I pour it in the jug
Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: trioval00

Nothing wrong with going to the corner gas station and getting Kero from the underground tanks, been doing that for 8 years now...... I use a filter on my pick up line in side my blue fuel jug. Never a problem..

Mark
+1

My experience as well.

There is nothing inherent in an "in ground" tank. I used to be a retailer if "In Ground" fuel. Most fuel at most airports is, in fact, "In ground" fuel!! It's stored in ground and then pumped into a truck for dispensing into aircraft.

It's about the volume of sales and how well any tank is maintained/sumped, whether above or in ground.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 AM
flyexperimental

I personally would be more worried about an above ground tank due to the changing temp above ground could cause more condensation in the tank . I have always bought kero from the gas station with a in ground tank . Never a problem for me .
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Jeffpro

> It's about the volume of sales and how well any tank is maintained/sumped, whether above or in ground

That's what bothers me. The convenience store that has the kero has been around for 30 or more years. I suspect the tank has been in the ground that long, too, and I doubt if they ever sump it, check it for water, etc. I'd hate to lose a jet over it, but the $9 a gallon they get at Home Depot is outrageous.

I think it's time to try the convenience store, be diligent about filtering, and see how it goes.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the state of TN, but many states in the past 10 years, all gas stations had to remove the old metal tanks and go with the new fiberglass leak proof tanks...... again, NEVER had an issue with below grade tanks....

Mark
Old 08-28-2011, 02:21 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: Jeffpro

> It's about the volume of sales and how well any tank is maintained/sumped, whether above or in ground

That's what bothers me. The convenience store that has the kero has been around for 30 or more years. I suspect the tank has been in the ground that long, too, and I doubt if they ever sump it, check it for water, etc. I'd hate to lose a jet over it, but the $9 a gallon they get at Home Depot is outrageous.

I think it's time to try the convenience store, be diligent about filtering, and see how it goes.
There are three places I buy kero here, all three are in ground, two are "convenience stores". No problems so far.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM
highhorse

Not sure about the state of TN, but many states in the past 10 years, all gas stations had to remove the old metal tanks and go with the new fiberglass leak proof tanks...... again, NEVER had an issue with below grade tanks....
Yup, same here.

When I was selling the stuff tho (owned/operated an FBO) the tanks had been in the ground for 20 years or more and there simply wasn't an issue.

YMMV, even with an above ground tank. It's all about the care taken by the vendor.

Don.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:58 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The convenience store that has the kero has been around for 30 or more years. I suspect the tank has been in the ground that long, too, and I doubt if they ever sump it, check it for water, etc.
That's why it's best to go to a high volume gas station. They would typically have fresher fuel and be disciplined to keep their tanks maintained.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 PM
fred985

fresh kero,,? im using kero i bought 10 years ago. i truked fuel to airports for over 12 years,,,jet fuel is filtered when ever it moves from on tank to another. kero is a highly refined fuel. just not filtered like jet. you can put your kero in a gal glass jug and let it sit over-night and look for crap. then pour it slowley into you flying contanier though a coffee filter in a funnel. you should have a filter in your aircraft too. dont get too anal.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

Hey guys,
You mention a device called "Mr Funnel", where do you get it from? I looked online at Lowes, Home Depot, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc and the only place I could find it was through online purchase. I would rather buy it local if I can. In reference to Kero, most of the convenience stores in my area have it so I have a choice (3 out of every 5 stores). 95% of it is the red dyed non taxable stuff that is not suppose to hurt the turbine but I take a 12 mile trip to a Hess station that carries the clear stuff for a few pennies more ($3.79 per gallon instead of $3.65). Thanks in advance for the Mr Funnel info.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 PM
TimT2000

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_6iu6d5ys8k_e

http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

I used these for my ultralights,, even found water in the gas once.

Good Funnel

Tim

Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM
tucson

You Guys are lucky that you have that option. Living in AZ there is no Kero sold at Gas Stations. About the only place we can buy Kero is at ACE or any of the large hardware stores. Very expensive. Not much avaliable in the summer for obvious reasons.

I have been using JetA when I can get some.

Stan
Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Ed

Misster tuscon, i am finnaly found you. How come you never tel me price of Tudor plane that you by ? And no more making funs with my name, yes.

Eduardo
Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nearly 13 years using Kero from the local Kiwi Sak without any problems.[8D]
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Another option, if you can legally store it, is the 55 gal drum.

I used to buy kero from the hardware store in the 5 gal jugs. Then the prices started to go throughout the roof, i mean $50 for 5 gal, com'on.

Then I started getting the 55 gal drum delivered to my work. It is WAY cheaper and actually is a lot more convenient.

I have a special room to store it in, but not sure my homeowners insurance would cover me in a fire if I kept it at home.

Billy
Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
tucson

ORIGINAL: Billy

Another option, if you can legally store it, is the 55 gal drum.

I used to buy kero from the hardware store in the 5 gal jugs. Then the prices started to go throughout the roof, i mean $50 for 5 gal, com'on.

Then I started getting the 55 gal drum delivered to my work. It is WAY cheaper and actually is a lot more convenient.

I have a special room to store it in, but not sure my homeowners insurance would cover me in a fire if I kept it at home.

Billy
That's our problem Billy. There are several of us at our field that would love to buy kero in 50 gallon drums but we have no place to store it.

Stan
Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I've only bought ground kero once & it was contaminated, some gritty looking residue that was fine enough to slip through my filtering material & it always looked cloudy with this crap. I ended up giving it away to a guy to wash greasy parts with but wasted my oil which I put in the drum previously.

For the Aussie readers the servo was the Liberty on the corner of Gilba & Targo roads, Pendle Hill in NSW - avoid it!

Looks like you US guys have better luck, kero is just about extinct in OZ except in little bottles from the hardware store. - John.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 AM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks Tim,
I found the same links online, still looking for a local purchase place such as Walmart, Target or ????

If I have to I will order one online later this week. Thanks

v/r
Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.