Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Brushless motor timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:45 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brushless motor timing

I have been looking into what adjusting the timing does to the motor. This is what it seems to be. When you increase the timing you get higher rpms, less torque, more power drawn from the battery and the motor runs less efficiently thus shortening run times. And I assume the opposite is true for descreasing timing? Less rpms, higher torque, less power drawn from the battery and the motor runs more efficiently thus increasing run times? is this right or do I have bad information? I would think that if you are increasing the power drawn from the battery that you would increase rpms AND torque at the same time? Or no?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brushless motor timing

You're basically right, but the heat increases exponentially too (in the motor and the ESC). Since I'm aware you're doing speed runs, I can simply say for what you're doing, DON'T DO IT!!! lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 AM
savagecommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and lower run times dont necessarily mean lower efficiency. you'd have to look at power in vs power out.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You're basically right, but the heat increases exponentially too (in the motor and the ESC). Since I'm aware you're doing speed runs, I can simply say for what you're doing, DON'T DO IT!!! lol.
So should I just set it for 0 degrees? I think the default setting for it is 15 degrees.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are having heat issues, yes.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
yakfish

OK thanks. At least I now know there is one more way to help control the heat issue. I have tried it with all the different timing settings and didn't really notice much if any difference in performance.