Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 120 Boxer Carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 04:30 AM
NSSHERLOCK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 120 Boxer Carb

I started breaking in my ZDZ 120 today and discovered 2 things. First, it is extremely loud, even with the J&A Pitts style mufflers. Second, it won't suck! Fuel that is unless someone plugs the huge hole in the choke plate while I crank it. This is not acceptable, so any ideas about how to close the hole with something that won't come loose and get sucked into the engine? Also, this won't put too much vacuum on the rotary valve will it? Does anyone know why they put this hole in the choke plate? They may have had some reason, and I would like to know their thinking. Lastly, I might mention that one of my 10:32 mounting bolts snapped, but it may have been in a bind, so I'll redo that and worry about it if it snaps again.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:19 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Solder a small piece of brass shim stock over the hole in the choke plate. No it won't bother the rotary valve. Alos, I would use some Yamabond #4 (non-drying gasket compound) on both sides of the carb mounting gasket. Make sure you put the gasket back on the correct way. If the carb doesn't seal well, then the vacuum port from the engine will not pump the diaphragm in the carb. Also make sure you don't plug up the vacuum port hole in the gasket with Yamabond.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Tailman
My Feedback: (3)

Sounds like a good idea. If not contact ZDZ direct. Mike J. is a great guy and knows these engines, period. He can help!!
http://zdz-modelmotor.cz/zdz/en/

good luck!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:41 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even the ZDZ40 has a hole in the choke plate, which needs to be soldered up.
These carbs all work great once fuel is at the inlet.
The carbs are all stock designs- usually used on commercial engines which incorporate a pull starter .
It would be nice if they had much smaller holes in the choke plate - as delivered from ZDZ
I just solder em up and carry on--
Old 04-22-2002, 06:11 AM
NSSHERLOCK

Seems to me that that should be done when the engine was built. Same with the throttle arms. Why does the buyer always have to correct and be test pilot for all those engineers behind the product? Do you recommend removing the plate from the carb or trying to solder it while its still in? My irons hot, let me know.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:01 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do the solder job with the plate in place.
You need a good iron .
I tin it first -then cover the hole.