Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

FUJI IMVAC failed in mainstream RC applications because no one bought their engines...because there was no reason to buy one. I really feel the same way about Zenoah. Zenoah is superior to FUJI IMVAC...they are reliable and fairly powerful...but there's no reason to buy one. The better Chinese engines (most specifically DLE) are also reliable and powerful, but they are less expensive, lighter, and DESIGNED FOR RC AIRPLANES. From the moment you open the box of a Zenoah, it is totally obvious that you just paid top dollar for a big, heavy, difficult to mount and set up engine that belongs in a chain saw, not an RC airplane. If I wanted to fiddle with a chain saw engine, I'd buy an old used chain saw and convert the engine and save $200!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:17 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

I disagree
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: BOLD PREDICTION: Zenoah will eventually follow FUJI IMVAC down the crapper

I thought about giving an indepth answer to your post, but on second thought I thought better of it, and instead will just say that you are so very wrong in your inexperienced assesment of Zenoah engines, especially considering the fact that you have never owned or possibly operated one.

Karol
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Hardly worth a reply, shows a complete lack of knowledge...Sure is hard to put 4 screws through a plate..With NO standoffs to cause vibration...NO lugs to break off, NO multiple bolt prop hubs to drill extra holes in props..They're so bad that the Chinese engine makers clone the cylinders for their engines...Zenoah engines are well nigh indestructible and will be happily running when others are in the trash bin....[>:]
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I suspect I can see your post as a big bait dangling in the water, I'm only going to take as far as to say you're wrong.
The entire premise for your statement is also wrong, indicating you either have little idea what you are talking about or are simply after a response - most likely a bit of both
Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
psgugrad

Looks like I have a few who disagree. That's OK, apparently they have never tried to put a G-26 into a 4-star 120! Relax ladies..I never said that (your)Zenoah engines weren't of high quality as they certainly are, it's just obvious that they aren't designed for RC airplanes. None of this matters one whit to Zenoah as 99% (according to a Horizon rep I met at Toledo)of the engines they make go into chain saws, weed trimmers, leaf blowers etc. where they belong and function flawlessly.

I'm just saying there's little reason to buy a Zenoah IMO when you can get a DLE for less money that is easier to set up because it is a purpose-built RC airplane motor. As far as my "experience" is concerened I'm an expert at mounting both a DLE 20 and a DLE 30 into 2 different four-star 120's I have built. I'm also an expert in their running characteristics and they both run like a watch...they run as well or better than any Zenoah I've seen. (I'm not saying Zenoahs don't run well, it's just that I've seen several DLE engines at the field and they all run perfectly)
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

As much as I hate to admit, I believe there's some reality in what was presented. How many newZenoahs showed up this season at your field? I would answer zero. Can't count the ABC, CBS, XYZ, KQV brands, seems like everyone has one.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does that mean Mercedes and Rolls Royce will go broke because Ford make reliable cars?
I don't think so.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:39 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: psgugrad

FUJI IMVAC failed in mainstream RC applications because no one bought their engines...because there was no reason to buy one. I really feel the same way about Zenoah. Zenoah is superior to FUJI IMVAC...they are reliable and fairly powerful...but there's no reason to buy one. The better Chinese engines (most specifically DLE) are also reliable and powerful, but they are less expensive, lighter, and DESIGNED FOR RC AIRPLANES. From the moment you open the box of a Zenoah, it is totally obvious that you just paid top dollar for a big, heavy, difficult to mount and set up engine that belongs in a chain saw, not an RC airplane. If I wanted to fiddle with a chain saw engine, I'd buy an old used chain saw and convert the engine and save $200!

well it depends....

and you have a 50%chance of being right or a 50% chance of being wrong. Time will tell.

IMO Zenoah will always find a following in RC. However he company may decide to part ways with the hobby long before the rc following dies out.

I will agree that If I have to compare a Zenoah to a DLE then then is little reason for me to buy a Zenoah when the DLEticks all the boxes at a lower price point.
We can argue longevity till the cows come home but if a DLE lasts me 5yrs then I've had my monies worth of fun. Something newer and better will along by then
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Antique

Part of the problem is price...If Horizon would drop the profit margin about 50% you might be surprised at the price...And the sales...
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I can see you never mounted a G38 with a cup mount. You'd find how easy it is. Beats messing with standoffs. I have done both types extensively, and thats including machining my own custom length standoffs from aluminum, with threaded holes on each end for the bolts. If your not doing nothing Sunday, drive on up to Streator (about an hour drive) and come to our warbird meet. I'm sure you'll see some Zenoah's there, including mine on my DR1. I'll even let you start it and let you be amazed at how easy a magneto engine can start. I'll even buy you a hot dog.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Antique

Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
thepamster

Well, this Lady here would ask, "What setup"? Open the box, mount engine, fuel up, and go. I have owned several Zenoahs and my current one, G-38 on a 120 Stinger, is over 20 years old and still flying today.

The Pamster
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

I can see you never mounted a G38 with a cup mount. You'd find how easy it is. Beats messing with standoffs. I have done both types extensively, and thats including machining my own custom length standoffs from aluminum, with threaded holes on each end for the bolts. If your not doing nothing Sunday, drive on up to Streator (about an hour drive) and come to our warbird meet. I'm sure you'll see some Zenoah's there, including mine on my DR1. I'll even let you start it and let you be amazed at how easy a magneto engine can start. I'll even buy you a hot dog.
Also inside that cup mount, you can place ta CD ignition....it has been done and that works good too. Capt,n
Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Diablo-RCU

ORIGINAL: thepamster

Well, this Lady here would ask, ''What setup''? Open the box, mount engine, fuel up, and go. I have owned several Zenoahs and my current one, G-38 on a 120 Stinger, is over 20 years old and still flying today.

The Pamster
Giant Stingers and Zenoahs....there you have it. It's 1980 all over again...
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Whistling Death

TROLL
Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what, Im still flying a now 20 year old A&M Sachs (with a sachs crank) that is as good as anything available today.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
bgw45

I know Zens are great engines. If I was a warbird flyer they would be at the top of my list. Aerobats and 3D flyers would prefer the lighter weight engine. If they don't have the skills to make a "light" Zen, then it is the only reasonable way to go.

I don't own any Zen engines but there are several new ones from 20s to 62s at our club field this year. They all run excellent, now. Only one 20 had to go back AFAIK.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
willig10

Ihate to see these kind of posts. It just incites needless arguments. I own and operate 2Zenoahs and can attest that they are easy to mount and run extremely well. I will agree about price in that the Zenoah brand is a little higher but look what you get for your dollar in value. A Zenoah will last just about forever. Yes the Zenoah brand was made for industrial applications but they have been well proven over the years and take abuse like a Timex. It takes a beatin and keeps on tickin.

I would ask you (original poster) to buy a Zenoah and use a Zenoah before you comment on what you foresee happening. A statement like the one you made is without merit and was better not said.

I would go a little further and state I think you are trying to start something out of ignorance of the product.

Why oh why does it always have to be negativity here?

Glenn Williams
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Whistling Death

Guys this thread is a waste of your time.
Known as a LAMP. Look At Me Post
Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

The fishing is much better on the other forum ... FG
They are much hotter under the collar there, not to mention if you question anything DA ... they rip into you
LP = Lame Post
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 PM
psgugrad

What's the deal with some of these nasty responses? I'm just making a prediction based on my opinion of an engine. Some of you people act like I've insulted your wife or something. Some people take this hobby WAY too seriously. We're talking about an engine for an RC airplane here, not some human rights issue!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
eddieC

Hey, why takin offense? We're only pointing out the obvious flaws in your first post. So the Zenoah's a little heavier? Maybe that has something to do with their outstanding longevity. You're just diggin' yerself deeper, guy.

You hit it on the head, WD!
</p>
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Looks like I have a few who disagree. That's OK, apparently they have never tried to put a G-26 into a 4-star 120! Relax ladies..I never said that (your)Zenoah engines weren't of high quality as they certainly are, it's just obvious that they aren't designed for RC airplanes. None of this matters one whit to Zenoah as 99% (according to a Horizon rep I met at Toledo)of the engines they make go into chain saws, weed trimmers, leaf blowers etc. where they belong and function flawlessly.

I'm just saying there's little reason to buy a Zenoah IMO when you can get a DLE for less money that is easier to set up because it is a purpose-built RC airplane motor. As far as my ''experience'' is concerened I'm an expert at mounting both a DLE 20 and a DLE 30 into 2 different four-star 120's I have built. I'm also an expert in their running characteristics and they both run like a watch...they run as well or better than any Zenoah I've seen. (I'm not saying Zenoahs don't run well, it's just that I've seen several DLE engines at the field and they all run perfectly)
Calling yourself an expert after installing engines into 2 aircraft is quite funny. Keep digging as we need a laugh from time to time.

Bliksem
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, anyone that wishes to express an opinion that disagrees with the current paradigm is to be attacked and belittled by those that use ancient internet terms that are no longer relevant in today's world.

OP, stop argueing and go flying. It will be a better use of your time. But that's just "my" opinion. (smile)

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.