Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Dla 56

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dla 56

Ok so here is my new Dla 56 and it is loosing some Grease from the Front Bearing.. I have had 4 of these things and they have all done it... but this one has done it the worst of all of them...the one on my yak did it also but it finally stoped.. I had a dealer tell me it was excess Grease coming out that was over packed from factory has anyone else saw this on there engines..</p>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67300.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1669610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93145.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1669611  
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dla 56

Again I say,

<div id="post_message_1563437">These are sealed bearings, they come from the bearing manufacturer already packed with grease. If they leak, they will most likely continue to do so until there is no grease left in the bearing. The excuse the dealer gave you is BS, he doesn't know what he's talking about or he's just blowing smoke up your skirt to try and get out of some warranty work. Exactly what I would expect from the most prominent DLA dealer posting on this site.

The main reasons they leak are either excess heat causing the seal to fail, they have the wrong type of seal, or they have a grease pack that isn't designed for the heat or loads imparted on the bearing. Bearing manufacturers make sealed bearings for many different applications, many applications are a much lighter duty than an internal combustion engine, the engine manufacturer could have ordered the wrong spec bearing or the wrong spec bearing was shipped and not caught in QC. Regardless of the actual reason (lol, over packed with grease, ha!) it's a problem and up to the engine manufacturer to correct....under warranty (if it's not being overheated by the end user).</div>
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM
aussiesteve

Jody is 10000000% correct.

The only other possibility is if the bearing fit is "not tight" (as opposed to "tight" - another famous DLA dealer quote) and some of the engine fuel/oil is leaking through the bearing "fit". Looking at the photo, I doubt this is the case on this engine.

What you are seeing is the reason I have repeatedly asked the dealers of this brand about what spec they are using for bearings. I have yet to see a real answer as to the actual specification.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I found the NSK bearings with brown seals to work well...
Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
bbrown2828

<div id="post_message_1563482">antique i had one of my dla 56 apart earlyer today because of having to change a rear crankcase due to a motor lug breaking and this is what the rear bearing looked like is this the bearings you are talking about also how do Iknow if I am over heating the engine it is running fine it is turning 6900 0n a vess 23a I never have problems getting it to start. it usally starts on first or second flip after the first flight</div><! / message ><! attachments ><div style="padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 3px; padding-right: 3px; padding-top: 3px"><fieldset class="fieldset">

<legend>Attached Images</legend><ul class="thumbwrap">[*]

</p>[/list]</fieldset></div>
Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, ha! See, I'm not the only one, uploading of the pics don't work right! [:@]
Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM
aussiesteve

The ideal bearing to replace them with will have the following ID's in the full part number (NSK numbers quoted).

**** DDU # L22 - HKPM.

the *** is the basic bearing number which is defined by the Bore and OD of the bearing
The # may or may not have an identifier there.

The "DDU" is a double seal, the "L22" is to do with the bearing fit and the "HKPM" specifies a high temp grease pack (not the highest temp - only up to the temperatures our bearings will see).
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 PM
bbrown2828

i also checked the spark plug a bit ago and it doesnt look like the engine is being ran too Lean the plug was Brown with a little bit of oil on it looked like it was still a little bit rich.... but i sent the dealer these same pics and will talk to him tomrrow so i will post what the outcome is
Old 10-03-2011, 08:46 PM
bbrown2828

has anyone used these bearings... It was just on a add here on rcu
http://www.bocabearings.com/productd...tSubGroupID=26
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
bbrown2828

has anyone used these bearings... It was just on a add here on rcu
http://www.bocabearings.com/productd...tSubGroupID=26
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
aussiesteve

Not knowing which dealer you purchased from or how far you are located from that dealer, Very often you are better off just organising the replacement of the bearings yourself or through an experienced shop near to you. If the dealer was to do them under warranty, most likely they would use the same bearings as before. The cost of the bearings may well be less than the cost of the shipping. Useful warranty coverage from now onwards would be pretty limited anyway as most things that break under warranty will do so pretty early on (It is called "Infant Failure").

Those statements cover most of the lower end of the engine brands but are not necessarily so for the upper end where the purchase price is a bit higher but there is a reason for that.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
aussiesteve

I haven't used those particular bearings myself but the specification on them is the right specification for our purposes.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

the dla56 i have had a out of round prop hub,that could be a problem for the bearing to.
i haven't had this problem yet,almost six gals. through engine now.
i also run redline at 32-1,trying to get rid of more heat.