Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Drag chute mechanism ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Drag chute mechanism ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Ozzee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag chute mechanism ?

Hi All,
I was wondering how some of you have made a Drag chute mechanism for your jets and was wondering if you would like to shear with me?
Im trying to come up with something for my jet but dont know what to do so a few ideas would be great!

Thanks Oscar</p>
Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Drag chute mechanism ?

Most of the guy's have ordered there's from Dan Gill at www.details4scale.com
Old 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

It would help to know which airplane you are putting the drag chute on. And.....not everyone got there drag chute mechanism from Dan Gill, some of us actually designed our own!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Ozzee

Hi David, Its for a mirage 111. I was thinking of some sort of compressed air tube to in short POP it out I realy want to make my own Thanks Greg!

Oz
Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oz, I used Dan's (details4scale) chute on my F-104. Here's a video clip of how it works that I took during installation. You can certainly simplify it if you want by just hooking a servo up to button valve and using it to deploy the chute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UOvp...el_video_title

Since my video I also added a locking pin which I hooked to the brake channel (as I don't have brakes) so basically I hit that switch before landing to release the lock (the door is held closed by magnets) then the autochute system does all the rest of the work.

If you do make your own mechanism, you can still get your chute made up by Dan. They are made to suit so you can pick your size, color, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66697.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1670236  
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

I did similar in both my F-4 and F-100. In the F-4 there is about a 1" diameter phenolic wing tube, I put a round piece of balsa actually two pieces laminated with the grain at 90 degree angles. Attached a spring that is almost 1" diameter itself and with light pressure. The spring fits into the tube and the balsa dick acts like a plunger. With no pressure on it the plunger is almost alal the way to the back of the tube. On the F-4 the chute door is hinged on one side and the lined with a piece of light ply with a piece of music wire glued to the back of it. This is the pin for the latch. The latch itself is made of a piece of thin aluminum with that is arc shaped and has tab for the pushrod, and another piece that makes up the latch. ( I know I did not describe this piece very well) I used a sullivan golden rod for the pushrod to the latch. (cable type) I also use a second pushrod and a small block of baswood with a groove cut in it at 90 degrees to a hole drilled through it for another cable. Tin this cable with some silver solder. This gives you a place to attach the chute and allows you to pickle the chute if you want to, or if it does not blow off when you accidentally deploy it at speed. I have deployed mine at speed a couple of times and it has always just blown off.

I did the F-100 mechanism similar but it has a box on the bottom of the airplane and the plunger just pushes the chute straight down.

BTW make sure that you anchor the phenolic tube well into the airplane and attach the chute release mechanism to it.

I also used a JR channel expander for the chute door/chute release mechanism that way I only used one channel to activate the chute, and chute release. I guess I could also program in a couple of conditions to the mix so that gear and flaps would have to be down as well to make sure that the chute did not deploy in flight.....but I'm lazy.

DR
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 AM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

I used Dans on my F-5. Works great. Here's a build thread for mine. Bottom of page 1 and continues page 2.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84..._1/key_/tm.htm

Jed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52515.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1670252  
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Ozzee

Wow Thanks Guys. Im gona put it all together and see what i can come up with Ill keep you updated on my build page!!

Thanks Again