Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Looking For turbine from crashed plane, All conditions from bad to unrepairable

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Looking For turbine from crashed plane, All conditions from bad to unrepairable

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
supedupplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For turbine from crashed plane, All conditions from bad to unrepairable

I am looking for a turbine from a jet that has regrettably been crashed. The engine can be beyond repair and it will still meet my needs. I don't have any desire to pay for the engine so only contact if you are willing to give me the engine for the cost of me driving to you ( near Fort Collins Co) or for the price of shipping to me. If it makes it any easier to part with your turbine, its for a college in my CSU Mechanical engineering class. Hope to hear from you soon. [email protected] Thanks, Kevin B
Old 12-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Looking For turbine from crashed plane, All conditions from bad to unrepairable

I have been flying turbine powered modes for almost 15 years and I have seen very few crashes that destroyed an engine so badly that it was "beyond repair". In the majority of crashes that I have seen the outer parts of the engine take the most damage (starter motor, front cover, outer can, and tailcone...) and these parts are relatively inexpensive to replace. Even engines that have experienced more substantial impacts and destroyed internal components are usually repairable for less than the cost of a new engine.

I suspect that the vast majority of jet guys that have an engine with crash damage will send their engine into the manufacturer for a repair estimate no matter how much damage they think there is. In the few cases where repair costs exceed the price of a new engine it is doubtful that the modeler will pay the shipping cost to have the parts of the destroyed engine returned (the manufacturers will not re-assemble a destroyed engine due to liability issues).

I hope you are successful in your quest to acquire a non-running turbine engine for free, but I seriously doubt you will find very many people who just happen to have one laying around to share with you.

You might have better luck looking for someone who has an older turbine from a manufacturer that is no longer in business, and which parts are no longer available (Sophia, JPX, Turbomin...). There might be a few of those scattered around the world being used as paperweights or book ends.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking For turbine from crashed plane, All conditions from bad to unrepairable

If there are engines that were deemed economically unrepairable they will likely be in the hands of the manufacturer. You may have better luck contacting them.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kevin B,

what are your plans for the engine? Might also help us better understand what you are trying to do with it.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
supedupplanes

currently I'm attempting to use the compressor and turbine blades for constructing a homemade turbine. Possibly the bearings too, those are just not easy pieces to machine or cheap to purchase.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

and also the internal parts that are most likely the reason for a turbine not being economically feasible to repair... Unfortunately, for those items, you are basically stuck with buying new ones or machining your own, as if they are damaged to the point they need replaced, your not going to find a manufacturer or service center willing to give them away for the purpose of them being used
Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 PM
A10FLYR

Those three items are the reason my turbine is sitting the basket. good luck...
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM
supedupplanes

If anyone is willing to give me a wrecked turbine just for display I would also be quite grateful. Any takers?