Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

ZDZ80 Ignition Conversion Question.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ80 Ignition Conversion Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
RCdude13
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ80 Ignition Conversion Question.

I'm converting my ZDZ80 ignition over to an RCexcel unit (the Falkon unit is pooched). I have to use an adaptor to use the smaller NGK CM-6 spark plug. I noticed that the CM-6 does not extend as deeply into the combustion chamber because of the adaptor. Is this a problem? Will I lose horse power? Will i need more than 28* of spark advance because the spark is further away from the piston? Has anyone done this conversion and noticed a difference?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 PM
DemonDean
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: ZDZ80 Ignition Conversion Question.

Did you buy the new Ignition?
If not, just buy the one to fit the original plug.
I think it would be a BM6RF.

Dean

Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
RCdude13

I already had the ignition which uses the CM-6 spark plug.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM
aussiesteve

28 degrees will be fine and you may actually gain a little power due to the ignition change.

You can also change the plug cap over to go to a cap that suits the original plug. They are pretty easy to change. Parts and instructions on how to are available from the RCExcel dealers. (PRC Model is one who is located in Canadia).

Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

28 degrees will be fine and you may actually gain a little power due to the ignition change.

You can also change the plug cap over to go to a cap that suits the original plug. They are pretty easy to change. Parts and instructions on how to are available from the RCExcel dealers. (PRC Model is one who is located in Canadia).

i would go that route, use the plug cap that your engine utilizes to eliminate possible variables in perfomance..... it's a lot easier than it sounds/looks.... i did my first spark plug cap replacement in the office, with only a lighter(heat shrink tubing) some needle nose pliars to crimp and a razor blade to strip the wire insulation..... if you can put together an arf you can easily do a ign cap replacement job

this page helps http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10725941
so does this one http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/...Plug%20Cap.pdf

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10720634
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 AM
RCdude13

I will switch over the cap since I already a replacement cap from RCexel for a BMR6F plug. My only question now is how do I attach the coiled wire which snaps on to the top of the plug to the ignition lead? The ends of this coiled wire bend 90 degrees and then have a sharp point. Do these sharp points stab into the sides of the ignition wire insulation? All the pictures I've seen on converting caps are for CM-6 plugs.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,
but put the small peace of heat shrink on the wire before you install it and then pull it over the coiled wire(just up to where the coil stops) and shrink it down.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: RCdude13

I will switch over the cap since I already a replacement cap from RCexel for a BMR6F plug. My only question now is how do I attach the coiled wire which snaps on to the top of the plug to the ignition lead? The ends of this coiled wire bend 90 degrees and then have a sharp point. Do these sharp points stab into the sides of the ignition wire insulation? All the pictures I've seen on converting caps are for CM-6 plugs.
I took one of those caps apart to replace it with a cm-6 cap. Yes the sharp point is just shoved through the insulation to make contact with the wire within.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
RCdude13

That's what I thought Dirtybird. Thanks. Should I extend the bare ignition wire into the coils of wire? Thanks again for all the advice guys!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: RCdude13

That's what I thought Dirtybird. Thanks. Should I extend the bare ignition wire into the coils of wire? Thanks again for all the advice guys!
You don't need to, but you can if you want to.