Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

8 Gear doors, is there an easier way to do this?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

8 Gear doors, is there an easier way to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 8 Gear doors, is there an easier way to do this?

Hey All,

Am building my 1/7 scale Fei Bao F15 (Huge) and she has all scale gear doors. 3 on each main, 2 in the front.

Problem: per airliners.net photo when gear are down, on the F15E, each one each of the main doors and one nose door stays open (that's 3 doors that need to stay open with gear in down position; I wish it was all of them that stayed open so I could use a UP3 and be done with it, but, unfortunately that is not the case.

Option 1: Set her up with a UP2 so all gear doors close, and then "T" the upline on each cylinder for the doors that remain open, and set them ALL up to simultaneously actuate with a BVM Air Micro Switch with mount bracket (Model: BVM5753).

Okay, so that is simple enough, when one of the gear come up, whichever of the retracts I have set up hits the button, and the doors close. BUT WAIT...what if that particular retract cycles too quickly compared to the other, and the other 2 retracts are not fully up yet when the button is depressed? Then it depresses the button, all the doors close, and my other 2 gear get stuck in down position...or worse...in halfway up position with doors jamming them.

So what do I do?

Option 2: same as option 1 but set her up with THREE BVM Air Micro switches, each personally servicing the retract it is connected to (arrrgh...too much can go wrong here and it would be an absolute maintenance nightmare!

Option 3: Ask my RCU Jet buddies

I am striving for simplicity and ease of maintenance. And no, I am going to all the trouble to make this plane super-scale so leaving all my doors down is not an option. Nor is taking off the doors that are being a pain in the ***** (at least not yet)

Thanks in advance O'Mighty and wise(r) RCU buddies!

Shaz
Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Shaun Evans

Default RE: 8 Gear doors, is there an easier way to do this?

Shaz,

If it's like the F-15C, why not use the UP-2 and UP-4 combo we use in our F-15? It's easy to set up (if you are willing to actually read the diagram which I did not the first few times) and fire-and-forget after that. Inside door stays open on the mains and aft door on the nose is connected to the strut.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
sskianpour

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Shaz,

If it's like the F-15C, why not use the UP-2 and UP-4 combo we use in our F-15? It's easy to set up (if you are willing to actually read the diagram which I did not the first few times) and fire-and-forget after that. Inside door stays open on the mains and aft door on the nose is connected to the strut.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! READ??? You have to be kidding? WHY would I do that?

Okay, so there is a way, how does the UP4 play into this Shaun? Where do I hook it up? Wait, is this where the reading helps?

Shaz
Old 01-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it be as simple as a single servo with a large round horn & two Robart or BVM high flow valves? This is the method that Mike Cherry used on his award winning F-15.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68.../tm.htm#687414
Old 01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
mick15

Why are you putting yourself through all this grief? I have been flying one of these for a good while now, it is set up with the factory valves, servo operated through a Jetronic sequencer, could not be simpler!

m
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80663.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1715665  
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or just use a UP3 and a button valve triggered by one of the struts for a set of the doors that you want to stay open.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UP3 Will keep all the doors open gear down, UP2 would be doors closed gear down. The UP4 is designed to work specifically with the UP2 for this exact setup. UP4 is driven directly off the UP2 and requires no additional servo, it is actuated by the UP2 valve. Doors requiring closure gear down are plumbed to the UP2, doors open gear down are plumbed to the UP4. Timing is then setup as usual with the bleed screws.
Fairly simple setup....

Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have used the same up2 and up4 on my panther. The nose doors stay open, main doors close. It has worked perfect for years.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (5)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Shaz,

The UP2 and UP4 combo work well and I've used Ultra Precision products for years. The downside is that you don't have individual control over the doors and sometimes (during maintenance) it's really handy to be able to open the gear doors and have them stay open. As such, I switched to using the RCBEE sequencer (available from Todd) to drive servos and spool valves (one for the retracts, one for the doors that are always open when the gear is down, and one for the doors that close when the gear is down). It's a bit more equipment on board but I really like the ability to control each door during maintenance by shifting the spool valve manually.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey shaz, why don't you set it up just like you had to for your F-100. two bvm valves and a electronic sequencer such as the jet central sequencer that you can program for such a set-up.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Shaz,

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! READ??? You have to be kidding? WHY would I do that?

Okay, so there is a way, how does the UP4 play into this Shaun? Where do I hook it up? Wait, is this where the reading helps?

Shaz
Shaz, where do you guys fly? I am deeply involved with PPG (formerly Arrow) in Littleton, so I visit every now and then.
Thanks,
David
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
sskianpour

Hi David,

We fly at Chatfield reservoir. 2 Paved runways. Stones throw from Littleton where I live. PM me next time you will be in town. If the weather is right, we will do some flying!

Thanks all for all your help, I think I will roll with the UP4 as Todd explains simply there seems to be no further need for another servo and setup which is nice.

Shaz
Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Get an electronic sequencer from dreamworks. Gear, doors, and brakes from nox. So simple i cant even screw it up.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

+1

on up2 & up4
Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Get an electronic sequencer from dreamworks. Gear, doors, and brakes from nox. So simple i cant even screw it up.
Agree! for some extra $, you can significantly simplify your installation. Just make sure to get one with capacity to open some doors, extend gear, and close again. I belieive the later ones can do it. The EV5 needs an addtional controller (similar to UP4/UP2 combo)

David
Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You can also build your own using an arduino if you have minor programming skills.  With that there is no limit to the complexity.   Thats what I am doing but its mainly becuase I dont trust the sequencers I would be willing to spend money on and I dont care to spend a lot one one.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
sskianpour

Thanks guys.

I already have a jetronics sequencer, jet central sequencer, and UP2 lying around from past excursions so am not too keen on buying an EV5U. I also prefer the brakes to be on different lines from the rest so they get their own air tank. Plus with a multicomponent sequencer like the EV5U, if there is a glitch or electronic short circuit, then my whole jet is grounded while with multiple components I can replace just that item (smooth stop, valve, etc...).

I called Linda at Dreamworks and ordered a UP4 so am good to go. I like that they only use one servo between them and it ended up being a $65 investment instead of greater. Thanks all for the help, should be smooth sailing from here. For now...

Shaz
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

you can also use a jet model products sequencer with a pair of hi-flow retract valves or the jettronic stuff etc.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 PM
dubd

Shaz, I am patiently waiting for pictures of the Eagle!!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM
sskianpour

ORIGINAL: dubd

Shaz, I am patiently waiting for pictures of the Eagle!!!!
Oops, right, on it Dantley. You have been patient indeed. Just left the workshop and then saw your post. I have wings done (reinforced the structure some more as well as the servo mounts tremendously, and ran Details4Scale lights-4 of them). Finished Vertical stabs as well and super-fortified those as well as servo mounts there too). Ran lights on Vertical stabs as well -2 more of them.

Now I am biding my time and procrastinating while I wait for some more Heavy Duty Ball-links from Dreamworks for Elevator setup. Then off to the airlines and gear (shudder).

Will take photos next time Dantley. Not much to see though...nose is in the corner, retracts in a box and the fuse is still empty. But will get some photos together for you!

Shaz
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
dubd

No worries man! Been eyeing this plane for 2 years and your gear solution solves my only concern. I spoke with Cindy at GJC about the gear and it sounds like FB is now offering the non-rotating gear to customers.