Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Omni primer vs k36 and k38

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Omni primer vs k36 and k38

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:24 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Omni primer vs k36 and k38

I've read every thread on RCU that had mention of Omni primer and nowhere does anyone mention exclusiveily how the omni primer compares to K36 and K38. I hear that the K36 is kind of a finsih primer and the k38 has more solids so it fills imperfections better. I'm new to painting and the price for omni primer here is $12.00 a quart primer and $12.00 quart activator one to one mix and the K36 and K38 is significantly more. A couple of guys mentioned they had good results with the omni primer, but how does the omni primer perform for filling scratches etc.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 08-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean,

I've used Omni and it works well but doesn't seem to sand as easily dry as K-36. It fills well though. For the price difference, the sanding issue is really not that important. Omni sands OK but just doesn't seem to come off as fast as K-36. I would use it on everything but the only thing that really bugs me about the Omni is the color----Pinkish brown...YUK!!! :disappoin In some models this doesn't matter as the entire plane is painted inside and out like the Avonds F-16 that I just completed. But, if you like to prime the inside of the model and it will show when you remove the hatch, the color could be a turn-off for some.

Kevin
Old 08-28-2003, 11:16 PM
jetflyrf86
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default omni primer vs PPG k36

If you want to create a top finish go with the k36 as it is the easiest to sand. There are many secondary brands on the market that work almost as well as k 36. Look for Transtar, Valspar or 5 Star. They are about a 1/3 of the price of k 36, but are a bit harder to sand. The all come with an activator, so when they go off you get a good hard surface for sanding. Most auto paint suppliers stock the off brands, so you need to ask for them
Old 08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, you mentioned dry sanding it, how about wet assuming I don't have a problem with the puke color. I'm not anal about the inside of my airplanes. What I'm reading is that the omni is a little harder to sand than K36, how about vs the K38? I find the k-38 comes off no problem with 120 grit and 400 wet leaves the sweetest shine!

I wonder now about omni vs K38 if there are any that know.

Thanks for the responses

Sean
Old 08-29-2003, 12:09 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Sean,

The Omni works well wet but not as easy as K-36. I haven't tried the K-38. The Omni is just as smooth as K-36 when you're done---Like you gathered, just a little harder to sand.

Kevin
Old 08-29-2003, 12:38 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Omni

While I've not used K36 or K38 I have used Omni MP210, a 1k, no catalyst, light grey primer. Did my entire Top Cat model with it. I thought it was hard to sand. I did all the sanding wet and thought it could have gone faster. Another down side was it took several hours to harden good enough to sand so I usually had to wait overnight. It did come out very smooth. Compared to rattle can auto parts store primer (which Omni doesn't stick to), the MP210 was very hard. MP211 is a similar product with a catalyst but still takes almost the same time to harden. Which primer # is the pinkish brown??
Old 08-29-2003, 06:19 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI, there are tintable and tinted primers out on the market these days. I use both PPG (K36) and the Sherwin-Williams line and have tinted the SW UltraFill II (P48) with limited results. The SW P30 line has tinted primers in gray, black, green, blue, red, and white. PPG has the K93 tintable primer available.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:33 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by CobraJet
....PPG has the K93 tintable primer available.
That sounds cool.....which means it's probably illegal in California.....
Old 08-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Ken F.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omni Primer

I just used some Omni Primer on a hatch for a friend of mine today and the hardener I used is mixed 5-1 it is the fast cure hardener. The temp was around 95 and I was able to wet sand it in less than 30 minutes. Ask the paint dealer if they have the fast cure hardener, I have never seen the 1-1 additive for Omni primer.

Good luck,

Ken..................