Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Converting Tower Trainer into a scale plane?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Converting Tower Trainer into a scale plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM
sagehillspilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Tower Trainer into a scale plane?

Hello! Well, after a few weeks of working i managed to cough up enough money to buy a decent plane, along with some parts. i bought: (and had)

Tower Trainer .40MKii (bought)

pair of wings (bought)

Tailfeathers (Got becuase fuse was defective on first plane)

Fuselage (under warranty)

Landing gear, motor mount ETC (warranty)

I bought these to keep my busy this winter, since im homeschooled i have nothing else better to do when im done right?

My question is! i want to make this into a Bush plane. Like a really lazy scale plane. Here's my plan.

I want to replace the side stickers with real windows. (plexi glass or something of the sort.)

i want to add flaps to slow the sucker down. my grass runway is only 200 feet. i need atleast 300 to land the thing with the .50 motor i have on it now. (only one i had)

replace the stupid super flexible landing gear with realaluminum gear.

put high torque servos on the rudder and throttle. (will be a later investment)

Maybe install a bigger fuel tank?

Install LED Lights to accompany my lighted runway. (made from $6 flashing porch lights LOL

Yeah its over kill for a trainer, but hey for all the parts i recieved under warranty and the 100 dollar price tag why not??

So, how would you install the servos without ruining the wing?

How do you seperate the flaps from the ailerons?

(flaperons are not an option. i need as much aileron as i can get with my cross wind landings and near misses with my brother LOL)

I do have a spektrum system with dx6i transmitter.

Thanks! Sagehillspilot
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Converting Tower Trainer into a scale plane?

a taildragger bush plane would be awesome..... just put bigger ailerons and split them nto flap like you mentions... a bigger control surfaces all around wouldnt hurt either...... it will be a fun scalish type plane
Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
sagehillspilot

I would but i hate taildraggers. seems like i go through 3 props on one tank of fuel.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 AM
kerwin50

With a tricycle front end you will have alot more problems knocking the firewall out. I've flown this same plane alot on a 200 ft runway. You just need a little lower allitude on final.
High Torque servo's are really not need
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM
STOKEY
My Feedback: (1)

Hi
I had a Tower 60 trainer with a Tower 75 Glo on it. Flew it until it absolutly wore out. I then stripped all the covering off of it, recovered with SIG AEROKOTE: thats the only covering I will now use. Its soooo easy to work with. You'll learn right away that it shrinks a bunch. so be carefull. Thats a plus though, because it is easy to get rid of the wrinkles. Anyway, i then converted to a taildragger. Why,?? because my Father was a flight instructor during WWII. I heard him say a thousand times. They should not give anyone a pilots license unless they first learn to fly a tail dragger!! Real airplanes have a tail wheel. I found out, that tail draggers are much easier to fly. He was right. I put very large wheels on also because I have a dirt runway and it made it look like a bush plane. I also just used the ailerons a flaperons. (much easier and less servos) I flew it for a couple of more years, until one evening the big one happened and destroyed it. without a doubt it probably was my favorite airplane. I loved it because it would let me be the Boss all the time. Note: I had a Tower 40 before the 60, but bigger is better and easier to fly.

Bill
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM
alltumbs

Just a wast of money Why would you need a high torque servo on the throttle ???
Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
sagehillspilot

I didnt ask for people to tell me what they think, i asked how to make the conversion. >_>.

I want high torque servos because the manual reccomends high torque for the rudder!

i want high torque for the throttle for a more realistic experience and more control. it shouldnt bother you cuz it isnt your money!

How do you conver the wing to accompany 2 servos. i am going to do the flaperon idea i decided.

thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Converting an ARF trainer into a scale model, is not a practical idea. Neither are your reasons for wanting high torque servos, where they are not required.

The model can be made to look sort of scale, by converting it to a tail dragger, and giving it a "scale" covering job.

The Tower Trainer requires standard servos. Put in a high torque for the rudder, if it makes you feel better.

Servo bays will need to be created for the ailerons. A single servo will not work, if you want flaperons.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual for the Tower Trainer MKii does not specify a high torque on anything. If fact, they show Futaba 3003 servos which are standard as standard gets. The throttle is the last place you need anything other than standards. You want to move your carb.. what harder if it gets stuck????
The rudder and throttle are the least stressed servos on that type of plane. Elevator and aileron take much effort to move. If you convert to twin aileron servos, then standards are WAYY more than enough, and the elevator is yet still enough. In fact, the stab structure will probably fail before the servo runs out of torque.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
kerwin50

Like he said if he wants to spend money on high torque servo's it's his cash.
on the dual aileron servo you will need to make a servo bay middle way up on both ailerons.
I usually just run some hard wood rails beteewn the wing ribs.
I use string and a small nut to thread the servo wires.
I don't know if there are holes in your wing ribs so you may have to cut some.
Good luck
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
kerwin50

BTW if your going to leave it as a tricycle then a servo saver or a metal geared servo would be ideal for your rudder