Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

receiver or servo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default receiver or servo?

hello. i just bought a new hitec hs55 servo for my mini desert buggy but have enountered a problem. the servo will not center and when i try moving it from the left to the right, it gets jammed up. then, when i opened it up to see if it was a problem with the gears, they were all fine. Finally, what i did was plug it back in and try it...still the same results. upon removing the gears for further inspection, i noticed that when the gears are off of the servo, the motor gear spins around at 360º. is this a servo or receiver problem? it if helps, my receiver sometimes glitches the throttle (when its just sitting there then it may give a small 1 second burst of throttle).
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: receiver or servo?

the motor will spin 360 when you do that that is normal seeing there is no feedback to the potentiometer to say HEY STOP!

now it won't center? This is confusing me. Do you mean after you power it up with the radio on, and put the servo saver(or horn whatever you are using) back on its way outta whack?
You might have to adjust the trims on the radio to try and center it cause I know a few models I have when the servo was changed the splines didn't line up perfect, and it was off.
Other way is if its too far off for the radio to recenter right with the trims is you might just have to buy a tie-rod for it that you can adjust which I had to do on a few RC's when I changed a part connected to the servo.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Microz

well no its not really that. what i mean by it wont center is that when i turn it on, it immediately turns to the left and starts to make a clicking noise like its jamming it self. then when i try turning it to the right, it will move very slowly and make a lot of clicking noises along with the servo itself heating up rapidly. then, when i release it, then it slowly goes back to the left, and jams itself up again and clicks....sort of like it is trying to make a 360º turn even with the gears in.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

sounds like a faulty servo

did you try a different servo on the radio though?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
gPlayer234

I would center your trims and reprogram your ESC, it might fix the issue.  Also make sure its not plugged in backwards.

Just today I had problems with my steering servo, it wasn't exactly the same issue as what your talking about but I know what you're saying.  Mine would turn fine to the left but would struggle turning to the right.  It was making that "clicking" sound when I turned to the right so I figured I stripped a gear, but when I disassembled the servo all the gears were fine.  So I took apart my receiver and sure enough the solder around one of the little plug pin thingys for my 1st channel had come loose.  I didn't bother fixing the receiver, just slapped in an extra one.   I'm no expert so I wouldn't exclude the possibility of a faulty servo, but look into reprogramming the ESC and examining the innards of the receiver.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Microz

okay thank you both. i have not tried the receiver with a different servo. im going to open up the receiver though just to see if there may be an issue in there.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Microz

okay thank you both. i have not tried the receiver with a different servo. im going to open up the receiver though just to see if there may be an issue in there.
chances are you will not be able to see any issues seeing I doubt you are trained in the field of electronics. Don't get insulted its just unless you know exactly what you would be looking for(which you need special tools for mostly unless its a giant burn mark) you will not see anything
Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Microz

yeah i didn't see anything. well i guess i may just try another servo on it to see if its a servo or receiver problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

could always swap the esc, and servos channels if the servo spins wildly its the servo
Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Microz

actually, i was just testing it again and i think the problem is the receiver. while testing, the receiver worked fine for maybe a minute and then just stopped responding. now whenever i turn on the esc, nothing happens...no light, no response, nothing. this sounds like a receiver problem correct?