Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 52 Surpass

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:52 AM
lafountainj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 52 Surpass

I just received a new OS 52 Surpass and was wondering what the fitting is on the bottom of the crankcase? This is my first 4 stroke and I am trying to educate myself. I am getting back into R/C after a 26 year absence. Also, how is after run oil used? Thanks.....
Old 08-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default OS 52 Surpass

That's the crankcase vent. On a 2-stroke engine, the fuel has to flow through the crankcase, so oil gets on all the moving parts. On a 4-stroke, the fuel goes straight from the carburetor into the cylinder. The moving parts are lubricated by oil that pushes its way past the piston. If the crankcase were sealed, no oil would be able to make its way into the crankcase, and the engine would sieze up in short order. The vent allows the oil to flow into the crankcase, and gives it somewhere to go as more oil makes its way past the piston.

Make sure this vent is clear. You can put a short piece of tubing on it to route the oil outside of a cowl, but keep it as short as possible. Don't connect the vent to anything like a pump or the fuel tank.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:36 PM
birdie_in_texas
My Feedback: (2)

Default OS 52 Surpass

afterrun oil (i like Marvel Mystery Oil) is used when you are ready to go home from the field after a day of flying....

i use it like this:

i empty all fuel from fuel tank, then start the plane and run it out of fuel, then pull the plug out and put 10-12 drops of marvel in it, then i hit it with the starter motor for just a very short second..to get the oil thru the motor..

glow fuel will kill bearings, so the after run oil lubes the bearings up nice and hepls keep them in good shape, as well as protects everything from the goo left over when all the nitro evaporates if you are not flying but once every few months or something like that...

hope this helps..
Old 08-29-2003, 02:40 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS 52 Surpass

Great Engine. May I suggest a Master Airscrew 12x6 Simitar prop?

Also, I recently moved from Mystry Oil to Marvel's Airtool Oil which has been recommended by many in recent years.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:22 PM
lafountainj

Default OS 52 Surpass

Thanks for all the help..... I am planning on using MAS 12X6 for this plane. It is the Sig 1/5 scale J3 Cub.....
Old 08-29-2003, 03:48 PM
GarySS

Default OS 52 Surpass

Wow!, Me too! Clipped or long wing? Engine mounted sideways,.... 8 o'clock or inverted?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:58 PM
lafountainj

Default OS 52 Surpass

I am building the long wing version. I want something to fly slow and gracefull. I also inverted the engine. It is exactly like the one that was in RCM magazine a couple months ago. That would put the head at about 8 o'clock. Still have a little bit left to do before I can start covering........
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM
GarySS

Default OS 52 Surpass

lafountainj
I have yet to start mine, waiting for some scale documentation.
Did you have any issues with it's construction so far? It seems like a builder's kit with all of the scale features to deal with.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2003, 07:42 PM
lafountainj

Default OS 52 Surpass

It is a very nice kit. The laser cut parts are incredible. As far as scale goes the cockpit does not have anything detailed at all. There is a photo of the panel and that is it. I got the kit for fathers day and I would definitely reccomend it. The instruction book is good except for the parts lay out pages are not in sheet order and you spend some time looking for the correct parts sheet. If you are really serious about scale you will probably want to invest in Robart landing gear. It is scale and functional. It also costs over a hundred dollars. My fiberglass cowling was cracked. An e-mail to Sig and I had a new one in 3 days. Enjoy your buildin, I just hope it flies as easy as it builds.