Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

futaba esc replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM
jackdaniels7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba esc replacement

I am new to r/c but I have a vintage car from my son who died that I have tried to setup for his nephew. In setting it up it appears that the futaba mc 112b failed since it stopped working and is very hot when the battery is connected. Since this is vintage I am having trouble finding a direct replacement and wonder if I can use other speed controllers that are for brush motors and are plug compatible with the receiver? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Eman77

Default RE: futaba esc replacement

To give you the short answer, yes, you can use other ESCs - you just have to find the right one. That's where our help comes in.

To give you a more thorough answer, it will help to know what vehicle it is, that the ESC will go into. Also, are NiMh batteries, or LiPo ones being used? If it's "vintage", odds are it's NiMh, but I want to be sure.

Also, any idea what the motor is? Brushed you say, but how many turns (27 turns is stock, 19 turns is faster, etc - the ESC must be rated to handle it)? If it's just the stock motor that came with the vehicle, it's likely 27T...but it's good to be 100% sure.

Also, if you have no clue on some of the answers here, posting pics (if possible) of the vehicle (with and without the shell on), the motor, connectors, always helps. There are a large variety of connectors out there, for example, so it's hard to point you to what you should buy without knowing what will work with what you already have.

I'm sorry to hear about your son, by the way. You have my condolences.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
jackdaniels7

The car is a Lunch box with 7.4v NiMh battery. I know my son modified it to race it and it has three motors. Don't know about turns but the winding resistances are 0.7, 1.7, and 3.5 ohms. I also have a RC10 fully assembled graphite rolling chasis without electronics but with original box that I'm trying to figure what to do with. The carjust stoppedwhile running it hard but write ups suggest thqat the fets failed.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Eman77

Hmm, since you're running NiMh batteries, there's no need to worry about an ESC with a LiPo voltage cutoff, so that's a bit easier.

But it is important to know the motor turns (so you don't have to overspend on the ESC and just get what you need). Can you read any labels off of the motors? Like "Trinity Chameleon2" or "Monster HP" or whatever? Maybe with that we can surmise the turns, and fit a good ESC for it.

Thing is, you can buy some killer ESC that will handle any brushed motor, but you'll pay more $$ for it. If you can end up spending a lot less to handle what you need it to, that works out nicely on the wallet.

Sounds like a nice RC10 too!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Eman77

One of the motors might just be plain silver with a Mabuchi sticker on it too (which would be the stock, 27 turn motor).
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM
jackdaniels7

One of the motors is an Infinity Monster Horse Power 1987. Can you suggest a replacement for the ESC? This car when working with my grandson was a Futaba MC112B and the receicer and servo were also futaba. My assumption is that the ESC failed as I used it for almost an hour and the ESC was burning hot when I took the body off after it stopped. I beleive the infintity motor is 27T
Thank you in advance.</p>