Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 72GK Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Bullitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 72GK Fuel Question

OK, I've made the mistake of reading the manual before I started to break-in the engine. Now I'm confused. The manual recommends 20% oil content and 10-15% nitro. It says NOT to use a 100% castor lube fuel. It recommends H9 Aeroblend, Omega, Cool-power among others. It also says "A mix of synthetic-castor oil is acceptable and can be found in the various fuels described above. Does this mean it's OK to use a blend but it is preferable to use all synthetic like cool power OR are they indicating the castor mix is preferable over the full synthetic? I've also noted that use of a partial castor lubricant will stain the muffler which I would certainly like to avoid on this great looking engine. It boils down to, is it in any way detrimental to the engine to break it in and run it on full synthetic if you make sure you don't run it lean??
Old 08-31-2003, 04:32 PM
bentgear

Bullitt, full synthetic is OK to use. Break it in very rich as they recommend and don't be tempted to try leaning it out all the way till you get a gallon on it. My favorite is Wildcat YS 20/20 blend altho I will use 30% heli blend sometimes. If you just have to lean it out on the first few runs then some castor in the mix would be needed IMHO.

Since it is a ringed engine it does take a while to get it completely broke in to find out what the engine will do, my thoughts are about 5 gallons, but I have had plenty of disagreement on this amount. It will be running great way before you get this much thru it.

Expect it to be a fuel hog to start with. Saito sends the low end set real rich, leave it that way a few tanks full then slowing start leaning it out and the fuel consumption will improve.

Make sure you remove the valve covers and oil everything and check the valve settings before you run it. This step is critical.

I think you will enjoy the engine.

BTW, it will run on anything from 5 to 30+% nitro. You do get a little more power, smoother transition, and better idle the higher % nitro you burn.

Ed M.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:34 PM
djlyon

No won't hurt it. The castor protects you if you make the mistake of letting it get hot even for aa short period. Your muffler is going to get stained on synthetic also. Just not as bad as fast. Put alittle pam on it.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:21 PM
Bullitt

Thanks for the information guys. That is about the conclusion I had come to. As far as some loss of power while running it rich, it won't be a problems since I'm hanging this off the front of a Somethin' Special. Word is, it will vertical with half throttle. Now all I have to do is figure out how to re-arrange the throttle linkage where the Saito will work!
Old 09-01-2003, 02:50 AM
bentgear

Bullitt, not sure if you know, but you can flip the Saito 72 carb 180 degrees by removing the two phillip head screws, swing the carb and intake pipe a few degrees to the side, rotate the carb 180 degrees and put everything back in place.
Ed M.