Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G26 won't spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:50 PM
stevehookem
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G26 won't spark

I just purchased a RTF Taylorcraft (old style) with a G26 that has never been run. Even though this combo is the older version, everything is "new", never used.

Went to fly today and was disappointed that the G26 would not spark. I tried both positions on the switch and a new plug. We even took the switch out of the equation and put the plug against the head while we turned over the engine with a starter. No spark at all.

I've never had a magneto engineonly electronic. One reason I went with this is I thought it would be less hassle! haha No batteries to mess with. And I've heard only great things about how reliable the Zenoah G series engines are. hmmmmm......

Any thoughts?<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-13-2012, 03:11 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: G26 won't spark

THe red wire goes from coil to coil. The blace wire is hooked to NOTHING
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevehookem

I just purchased a RTF Taylorcraft (old style) with a G26 that has never been run. Even though this combo is the older version, everything is "new", never used.

Went to fly today and was disappointed that the G26 would not spark. I tried both positions on the switch and a new plug. We even took the switch out of the equation and put the plug against the head while we turned over the engine with a starter. No spark at all.

I've never had a magneto engineonly electronic. One reason I went with this is I thought it would be less hassle! haha No batteries to mess with. And I've heard only great things about how reliable the Zenoah G series engines are. hmmmmm......

Any thoughts?<br type="_moz" />
What color is the wire/wires that go to switch? Also make sure if it has a kill wire that grounds out the ignition... try it unhooked to anything. Got a photo? Capt,n
Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM
stevehookem

The red goes from coil to coil. The black goes to a kill switch. The other wire off the switch is connected to the motor mount bolt for grounding.

However, we tried taking the switch out of the equation and it still didn't spark. Photos to come....
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: stevehookem

The red goes from coil to coil. The black goes to a kill switch. The other wire off the switch is connected to the motor mount bolt for grounding.

However, we tried taking the switch out of the equation and it still didn't spark. Photos to come....
Taking the switch out, did you leave the connection open or closed? Open switch=engine on, closed switch=ignition kill.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like to me...all the switch does is ground out the mag to stop engine. Un-hook it and engine should have spark....I would say ! Capt,n
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM
stevehookem

so have the red wire connected and the black just hanging there, not plugged into anything?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct