Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DA-60 Ignition module test procedure?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-60 Ignition module test procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default DA-60 Ignition module test procedure?

Okay I've done some searching and cannot find anything pertinent; I've got a new DA-60 and it appears that the ignition module isn't happy. On my ZDZ's one can just put a sparkplug in the wire cap, hold it against the engine and rotate the prop, you'll get a spark.

IIRC, the DA ignition module requires that the prop be flipped faster or something? Using the same technique yeilds no spark. Using a small screwdriver in the cap held near the engine doesn't produce any spark either. I did get a small "tickle" when I got ahold of the uninsulated cap and the screwdriver but certainly nothing like a real spark.

Now as much as I like DA engines, they do have a bit of a reputation for faulty ignition modules so I'm guessing that is the problem but if anyone's got a method of testing the beasty to make sure, I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks guys....
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA-60 Ignition module test procedure?

There is no need to hold the plug against the engine while you flip it. The DA ignition, along with almost all of the modern ignitions, gets its ground through the HT wire braid. You could be doing all sorts of damage gouging around with a screwdriver in the cap.

IIRC, you must be spinning the hub at least 400 RPM for the ignition to fire. This is a safety feature which prevents firing when the user is positioning the prop.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Turk1

With my RCEXL ignition,no need to spin fast.Only show the magnet creates a good spark(Another brand gas engine)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DA uses a completely different setup and different type of sensor than RCEXL. With the RCEXL, the magnet just triggers a Hall Effect sensor like a switch. With the DA, the magnet actually generates a small current in the (completely different) sensor.

AV8TOR
Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF the prop is spun fast enough!!!!
DA needs a healthy flip. Hall sensor ignitions (advancing type like MVVS ZDZ) will do with a "pinky" lazy flip. Hall sensor retarding type like Rcexl will need a dedicated healthy flip again.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The DA ignition, I understand, has a time out feature that if left on for a period of time without being turned over, the ignition will shut off and not restart until the off-on power is cycled.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The DA ignition, I understand, has a time out feature that if left on for a period of time without being turned over, the ignition will shut off and not restart until the off-on power is cycled.
Don't know about DA, ZDZ has that feature. You get one minute and if the prop isn't flipped past the sensor the ignition turns off. BUT I did make sure I wasn't leaving it on unless I was flipping the prop...

Thanks Pe, that's the information I was looking for. I tried to flip the prop briskly and with no sparkplug installed it should have met the required RPM, it was certainly spinning faster than it would be on starting the engine with the sparkplug installed.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

put the plug in the cap and spin it like you mean it,no need to ground anything.if the ignition is good you will see a spark.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

I have normally grounded the sensor lead to the ignition module and created a spark. Are we saying, this is not a good test for the DA ignition? red
Old 05-21-2012, 05:12 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I read the DA 50 manual and it says nothing about any "time out" feature of the ignition. Apparently I had it confused with another ignition brand?